Relegation v4.0

BleedClaretAndBlue

Against the teams around us, whether playing at home or away, we need to play a team that looks something like this:

------------------------------GUZAN------------------------------

HUTTON-------OKORE-------CLARK------CISSOKHO

-------------------SANCHEZ----DELPH---------------------

-----------------------------------GIL-----------------------------

GABBY/WEIMANN----------------------------SINCLAIR

-----------------------------BENTEKE-------------------------

Gil shouldn't be asked to track back chasing opposing players. He needs to sit in the hole behind Benteke and collect the ball off Delph, who in turn should be getting it off Sanchez. That's enough cover for the back four and enough attacking threat to see us create/score goals.

Edited by villarocker

I would prefer

Against the teams around us, whether playing at home or away, we need to play a team that looks something like this:

-------------------------SANCHEZ---------------------

------------WESTWOOD-----------DELPH-------------

GIL-------------------------------------SINCLAIR

-------------------------BENTEKE-------------------------

Thats not a squad which should be struggling to keep away from relegation places. Lambert, tut tut tutt.

I would prefer

Thats not a squad which should be struggling to keep away from relegation places. Lambert, tut tut tutt.

To be fair, two key parts of that squad have only just become available for us.

I'm not excusing Lambert, rather saying that once Chelsea is out of the way, a lack of improvement is inexcusable.

• Like 4

I would prefer

Look, another fan who knows what the starting XI should be.

And yet, our buffoon of a manager can't see it.

Facepalm.

• Like 1

I would prefer

I'm not excusing Lambert, rather saying that once Chelsea is out of the way, a lack of improvement is inexcusable.

I would also say looking at our squad in isolation also ignores the qualities of other teams we are competing against.  Just saying.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2936530/Aston-Villa-set-worst-Premier-League-goalscoring-record-time-going-10-hours-without-finding-net.html

Paul Lambert would be well advised to dip into the transfer market for a striker, because if Aston Villa carry on at this rate they will earn the dubious title of becoming the worst attacking team in Premier League history.

It’s no secret that Villa have struggled for goals this season, netting just 11 times in 23 games, but their inadequacies are laid bare when compared with previous problem strikeforces.
The infamous Derby County side of 2007-08 – relegated after failing to compete all season, winning just once – managed more goals per game than Lambert’s side are currently trundling along at.

Their drought now stands at 10 hours and 12 minutes. It’s led to growing calls for Lambert to be shown the door by Randy Lerner, but the Scot appears to be safe for now.
Incidentally, Derby scored 20 times that fateful season under Billy Davies and Paul Jewell.  
Villa need nine more to draw level with 15 games remaining. They wouldn’t even manage that if nothing changed.
The teams currently have an identical record after 23 games which, given the Rams’ terrible run of form, makes very grim reading indeed. 
The two teams have the joint-worst record at this stage. 
Lambert has wanted to land a striker this month but it remains to be seen whether he can get a body in to truly compete with Christian Benteke.
One of the major problems for Villa, of course, has been the failure to get the Belgian firing after he recovered from injury. 
They need to get someone in, otherwise the responsibility to score more goals befalls Andreas Weimann and Gabriel Agbonlahor; nobody wants that. 
The pair are Lambert's top scorers in the league. 
Three each after playing more than 40 games combined.
It is a shambolic return and one which doesn't appear ready to change any time soon, with Chelsea to come next weekend. 

• Like 1

I would prefer

I would also say looking at our squad in isolation also ignores the qualities of other teams we are competing against.  Just saying.

I have looked at the other squads Richard and for me we have a better squad than QPR, Hull, Leicester, West Brom, Sunderland, Burnley, Palace and are on a par with Stoke, Swansea and Newcastle.

The minimum I expected this season was for us to finish 13th and the best I hoped for was 10th unless we really over achieved which of course is always possible. By the way this was before our two recent additions.

Clearly something is massively a miss though because no one should be under any illusions that a team that take 12 points from 19 games and score 7 goals whilst conceding 29 is in with a great shot at being relegated. In fact if anything like those stats continue we are nailed on to drop. I posted in this thread we were too good to go down. I was wrong as them stats tell me, in addition to what I have seen with my own eyes, that with this manager we are most definitely not.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

I would prefer

Facepalm.

Bit of an odd comments given that Lambert is clearly working towards that formation and lineup, imo.

I'd be surprised if that wasn't the starting lineup vs Hull (I'm excusing Chelsea because we may go more defensive for that)

• Like 2

I would prefer

Facepalm.

Bit of an odd comments given that Lambert is clearly working towards that formation and lineup, imo.

I'd be surprised if that wasn't the starting lineup vs Hull (I'm excusing Chelsea because we may go more defensive for that)

I think your probably right and we will likely see that line up sometime soon. Unfortunately football management isn't just about putting 11 players onto the pitch as clearly the majority of us on here would therefore be pretty good at it. It is then about what you are actually telling them players to do and Lambert for me in this regard is absolutely clueless.

I have lost count of the amount of times this season I have seen us apparently line up 4-3-3 with Gabby, Weimann or NZogbia apparently either side of Benteke only then to witness the two lads who you'd expect to be playing as wide forwards spend way more time in their own half defending than what they do in the opposing teams half. You then hear the manager spout a load of tripe about picking an attacking line up. There is no way that Gabby, Weimanns or NZogbias natural game is to defend and it is therefore clearly what they have been instructed to do. Another frustration is that we play 3 lads in the middle, who spend most of their time with in 10 yards of our defensive line spread out across the field all with in yards of each other. We witnessed just the other day the stupidity of our defenders being told to push up against Arsenal of all teams.

For me we have some good players who are capable of way more than what they have shown for 90% of this season. Any team can have off games but when it is pretty much week in week out over such a long period of time then that is clearly down to the manager.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

I would prefer

Facepalm.

I think your probably right and we will likely see that line up sometime soon. Unfortunately football management isn't just about putting 11 players onto the pitch as clearly the majority of us on here would therefore be pretty good at it. It is then about what you are actually telling them players to do and Lambert for me in this regard is absolutely clueless.

I have lost count of the amount of times this season I have seen us apparently line up 4-3-3 with Gabby, Weimann or NZogbia apparently either side of Benteke only then to witness the two lads who you'd expect to be playing as wide forwards spend way more time in their own half defending than what they do in the opposing teams half. You then hear the manager spout a load of tripe about picking an attacking line up. There is no way that Gabby, Weimanns or NZogbias natural game is to defend and it is therefore clearly what they have been instructed to do. Another frustration is that we play 3 lads in the middle, who spend most of their time with in 10 yards of our defensive line spread out across the field all with in yards of each other. We witnessed just the other day the stupidity of our defenders being told to push up against Arsenal of all teams.

For me we have some good players who are capable of way more than what they have shown for 90% of this season. Any team can have off games but when it is pretty much week in week out over such a long period of time then that is clearly down to the manager.

This is what should have changed. Although at times these players do not look 100%, we are never gonna see it if Lambert constantly asks them to prioritse defense. This is the real problem with the squad. They are forever set up to have defending in there mindset, even with the possession football. See how many times instead of making a run they pass it back. Gil hasn't got this in his game yet and it shows with his forward runs and passing, but I think Lambert coaching him may nulifiy his effectsooner than we think.

• Like 1

A good football manager gets the best out of players he has at his disposal. We have had far more games where he has failed to do that then when he has. Yes we have had injury issues but so does everyone. It's not like Houilliers year when we had to rely on kids. We have had a good team in pretty much every game. Our squad is at least comparable to Swansea. Especially now they have lost Bony.

• Like 2

I would prefer

I have looked at the other squads Richard and for me we have a better squad than QPR, Hull, Leicester, West Brom, Sunderland, Burnley, Palace and are on a par with Stoke, Swansea and Newcastle.

The minimum I expected this season was for us to finish 13th and the best I hoped for was 10th unless we really over achieved which of course is always possible. By the way this was before our two recent additions.

Mark of the teams you say we have better squads than we are above four of them in the league and on a par with one other and in touching distance of two others and the season is not yet over.  

Do you mean that we have to be above those teams throughout the whole of the season? or when the end of the season comes?

I would prefer

This is a good Premier League side

I would prefer

Facepalm.

....but the problem is Lambert will want to play Gabby or Andy (out of position) & Cleverley (he's so useless I dont know what his position is)

I would prefer

Facepalm.

....but the problem is Lambert will want to play Gabby or Andy (out of position) & Cleverley (he's so useless I dont know what his position is)

You mean Gabby who he dropped in the last game and Andi who he replaced during the game with his new signing who probably would have started if it wasn't his first game since signing?

I'm not so sure. I think there's a good chance Gil and Weimann will be starting soon enough.

In fact I'd be happy to see BEnteke dropped as it is and Weimann played centrally. he and Gild seem to link up fairly well.

No defence on Cleverley, but my point above was he and Westwood are extremely similar (Westwood being the superior player though) so even with Cleverley in Westwood's place, the above formation/system is being implemented.

Edited by Stevo985

Relegation/Survival

Once the season is over, how will everybody feel?

"I told you so" is irrellevant either way.

BUT

1 - We go down under Lambert.

2 - Stay up under Lambert

3 - Lambert sacked, still go down

4 - Lambert sacked, stay up.

its a 50/50 if he goes/stays

of the 50/50 its 50/50 up or down

my moneys on 4 then 3 then 1 then 2