Best Films of 2014

donnie

Just watched Interstellar.

It was OK. Obviously a rehash of 2001, and too heavy on the mawkish sentimentality, but otherwise enjoyable enough.

And yet your best film of 2014

Either you don't see many films you're in the wrong thread :)

• Like 1

To be fair, saying its close to the best film ever is about as wrong as Donnie saying it's utter shite ;)

It's really not though. My opinion is shared by quite a few others. It's 94 in the IMDb top 250 showing that quite a few more people think it's one of their favourite films than think it's awful. Me saying that it's close on the best film ever is supported by evidence.

This may sound serious but it's not really. I just know I'm right here :-)

To be fair, saying its close to the best film ever is about as wrong as Donnie saying it's utter shite ;)

It's really not though. My opinion is shared by quite a few others. It's 94 in the IMDb top 250 showing that quite a few more people think it's one of their favourite films than think it's awful. Me saying that it's close on the best film ever is supported by evidence.

Take no notice of the IMDB rankings. Interstellar is number 12 of the best ever films ever ffs. Any comic book or Nolan film gets stupidly high ratings on there due to the comic book nerds who have ruined the site.

Yeah I wasn't being serious ;)

It's far FAR from utter shite.

It was OK. Obviously a rehash of 2001, and too heavy on the mawkish sentimentality, but otherwise enjoyable enough.

Where did I say that?

I've seen hardly any 2014 films, and don't have a 'favourite'.

Where did I say that?

the thread title is "Best films of 2014 " so by default you are saying it  ( see the previous arguments in this thread for the "joke" )

Take no notice of the IMDB rankings. Interstellar is number 12 of the best ever films ever ffs. Any comic book or Nolan film gets stupidly high ratings on there due to the comic book nerds who have ruined the site.

Pretentious bores are irrelevant in the movie World. Us "comic book nerds" run it. Deal with it.

Where did I say that?

the thread title is "Best films of 2014 " so by default you are saying it ( see the previous arguments in this thread for the "joke" )

I said I was going to see it and would report back, which I did.

But, actually it may be the ONLY 2014 film I've seen, come to think of it. So yes, by default it IS the best!

Next up, Mister Turner and the Turing thing - so it may get displaced.

I know 'Only Lovers Left Alive' was officially released in 2013, but it didn't have a wide UK released until Feb 2014, so sod it - film of the year by a considerable distance.

I've yet to see this. I'll give it a watch tonight.

• Like 1

its not necessarily that, new releases always score high on IMDB and then after time when a large number of reviews come in it drops and then plateaus, you cant really judge an IMDB score for a year if not longer, certainly not the cinema release, for that reason i use rotten tomatoes which seems far more reliable  

Where did I say that?

the thread title is "Best films of 2014 " so by default you are saying it ( see the previous arguments in this thread for the "joke" )

I said I was going to see it and would report back, which I did.

But, actually it may be the ONLY 2014 film I've seen, come to think of it. So yes, by default it IS the best!

Next up, Mister Turner and the Turing thing - so it may get displaced.

I think you'll like the Turing thing (saw it last night) ... I've not had a chance to research it accuracy on the web yet though

I watched GOTG last night and I must say it's a very enjoyable film.  I would put it in my list for the best of 2014. 

The dance at the end made sense to me as it fitted the character.  It was a film that did not take itself too seriously.  I mean come on, the whole Kevin Bacon/Footlose thing should give you an idea 

• 4 weeks later...

I would say at the absolute top of my list would be...

Poster-art-for-Under-the-Skin_event_main

With this a very close second...

2014BabadookPosterIcon.jpg

Honorable mentions for:

Locke

Boyhood

'71

Two Days, One Night

Grand Budapest Hotel

Nightcrawler

Snowpiercer

The Raid 2