Best Films of 2014

donnie

Guardians of the Galaxy - utter shite.

This thread is meant to be the best films of 2014. Discussions of good or bad should go in the main film thread.

Guardians of the Galaxy by a country mile. Close for best film ever.

:rolleyes: I mean, I know what you're saying, but it just came across as a bit hypocritical is all :P

Edited by Ginko

I know some people don't want a discussion but I'm throwing this in here -

The blockbusters this year have been better than the 2015 "award season" films

GOTG, edge of tomorrow, Lego, apes, xmen, captain America would probably be amongst my favourite films this year

Really doesn't seem to be much hype building up for late this year in the states / early next year here, maybe unbroken and Selma, but that's about it for me, compared to last year where you had WoWS, 12 years a slave, Dallas buyers club, American hustle etc

Hope imitation game gets some nods that's probably the best "award season" film I've seen this year

• Like 1

The only reason Lego movie didn't join "her" as films I've walked out of is because I had the kids with me and Mrs H would have given me grief for 28 minutes if I had come home without them

Apes is another meh one , weak and predictable story line and more plot holes than any film should be allowed to get away with... Cgi was ok though

Anyhow that's just my opinions , I appreciate both films are scoring well in the 2014 Poll

This thread is meant to be the best films of 2014. Discussions of good or bad should go in the main film thread.

:rolleyes: I mean, I know what you're saying, but it just came across as a bit hypocritical is all :P

Not sure I understand. *discussions* of good or bad shouldn't really be here for obvious reasons. But the thread is called best films of 2014 so it's perfectly acceptable to say why it's a good film. Saying why something isn't a good film just starts arguments, which is what the other thread is for.

Same as a lot of others really

Wolf of Wall Street

Dallas Buyers Club

Gone Girl

Boyhood

The Babadook

Honourable mench for The Lego Movie

Some I'm not so keen on that have been mentioned would be The Grand Budapest Hotel. Didn't think much of that, pretty average. But I don't seem to be a fan of Anderson so it probably didn't suit me.

Token GOTG mention. It was great fun, but nowhere near movie of the year.

I've only seen 4 films at the cinema this year:

Wolf of Wall Street

The Grand Budapest Hotel

Frank

Northern Soul

I enjoyed all of them, but I'd probably just give the edge to The Grand Budapest Hotel, over Frank.

I thought the Marvel stuff was mostly very good this year. X-Men: DoFP, Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy all impressed. Otherwise, Dallas Buyers Club was brilliant and good to see The Grand Budapest Hotel get a few mentions, it's fantastic and maybe my choice for movie of 2014. Not seen Gone Girl or Interstellar yet though.

Wolf of Wall St

Gone Girl

Lego Movie

22 Jump St

As you can see from the above list I have not seen many movies this year - still need to see GOTG, Nightcrawler, Boyhood and Dallas Buyers Club.

Have to say, I thought 22JS was OK, but weaker than the first.

Godzilla.

I also enjoyed this. Better on the second viewing.

Although it didn't go down well with the critics I happened to enjoy the Counselor , thought Brad Pitt stole the show , without even trying to .

Wolf of Wall street was achingly funny ,but then you realise it's a true story , and tbh , it pays only lip - service to the victims , who must of been , sadly , ruined for the rest of their live. I have to say though , that imo Jonah Hills' performance was oscar worthy. Apparently he was so eager to work with Scorsese , that he took just forty thousand dollars for the part , bless him .

Does anyone recommend 12 yrs a slave , it's on my on demand for 2 . 99 ? How come I don't have a pound sign on my pad keyboard ?

:rolleyes: I mean, I know what you're saying, but it just came across as a bit hypocritical is all :P

Not sure I understand. *discussions* of good or bad shouldn't really be here for obvious reasons. But the thread is called best films of 2014 so it's perfectly acceptable to say why it's a good film. Saying why something isn't a good film just starts arguments, which is what the other thread is for.

You're not wrong, but I just thought that your use of hyperbole through phrases like 'by a country mile' and 'close for best film ever' could incite an argument just as much as saying it was 'utter shite', that's all.

It just seemed a bit like you took it a bit personally, but perhaps I interpreted that incorrectly. Mine wasn't a particularly serious post anyway.

• Like 1

Does anyone recommend 12 yrs a slave , it's on my on demand for 2 . 99 ? How come I don't have a pound sign on my pad keyboard ?

i liked it, some really good performances and some great shots of the deep south, fassbender is superb in it, i thought he was better than leto in DBC personally, its worth a watch

Â