Best Films of 2014

donnie

As the year draws to a close 2014 has to be considered one of the best years of Cinema in a long long time.

The best for me in no order:

Wolf of Wall Street - Not only brilliant but one of the funniest films I have seen in a long time.

Her - Truly superb. Film of the year for me.

Boyhood - Loved it. Went a little under the radar for some reason but justifies it's plaudits.

Dallas Buyers Club - This film was all about MM. Deserved his oscar.

NightCrawler - A must see.

Calvary - Best British / Irish film I have seen in a long time.

Locke - How can watching a welsh man talk about concrete be so mesmerising? Tom Hardy talking concrete that's how.

Gone Girl - The best villainous of the 00's.

The Grand Budapest hotel - Magnificent.

Best of the rest : Snowpiercer, Edge of Tomorrow, Dawn of the planet of Apes.

Cant think of much else?? Only disapointment is that it has been a disappointing year for foreign movies and Documentaries. Would be intrested in reading some recommendations.

So far, Her and Calvary are definitely up there, though I do really want to see Boyhood. 

Good list that. All great, the ones that I've seen. Though from a pure unexpected joy angle, I'm voting Lego Movie and GotG too. 

Provisionally, I'm voting Calvary though, subject to change should Boyhood be as good as I expect it to be.

Edited by Rodders

I was only thinking recently that 2014 had been a poor year for movies but on reflection, it's probably more that I've had so little time to see films this year.

Of the films I've seen though, my besties would be:

Blue Ruin

The Lego Movie

Grand Budapest Hotel

Starred Up

Calvary

Frank

Her may be on the list if it's deemed admissible. Similarly, I would expect Boyhood to make the list when I finally get around to it.

Edited by choffer

I don't think I've ever walked out / switched a film off before the end ... Until "her" just hated it

Best film of 2014 :wink: for me would be Nightcrawler with a special mention to Gone Girl, though I thought gone girl telegraphed all the "twists"

Guardians of the Galaxy gets a mention for saving the superhero genre after a load of frankly average and boring movies ( saying that x-men days of future past was pretty decent so maybe its just the avenger films that are a bit meh

Best comedy would be Alan Partridge just edging out inbetweeners 2

And finally special mention to Tom Cruise for making a good film again with Edge of tomorrow

As the year draws to a close 2014 has to be considered one of the best years of Cinema in a long long time.

The best for me in no order:

Wolf of Wall Street - Not only brilliant but one of the funniest films I have seen in a long time.

Her - Truly superb. Film of the year for me.

Boyhood - Loved it. Went a little under the radar for some reason but justifies it's plaudits.

Dallas Buyers Club - This film was all about MM. Deserved his oscar.

NightCrawler - A must see.

Calvary - Best British / Irish film I have seen in a long time.

Locke - How can watching a welsh man talk about concrete be so mesmerising? Tom Hardy talking concrete that's how.

Gone Girl - The best villainous of the 00's.

The Grand Budapest hotel - Magnificent.

Best of the rest : Snowpiercer, Edge of Tomorrow, Dawn of the planet of Apes.

Cant think of much else?? Only disapointment is that it has been a disappointing year for foreign movies and Documentaries. Would be intrested in reading some recommendations.

That's an excellent list to be fair.

I'll post mine around late December just in case  ;)

• Like 2

Guardians of the Galaxy - utter shite.

This thread is meant to be the best films of 2014. Discussions of good or bad should go in the main film thread.

Sorry. You're right. Talk of shit films ought to go in another thread. :P

Otherwise this just degenerates into another GOTG is good vs GOTG is bad thread, exactly the same as the other one. :)

Â