Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

9 minutes ago, sidcow said:

2) why is my licence fee paying for this shit? 

It isn't. Your licence fee is allowing you to legally watch a TV. That money is then passed over to the BBC to create a broad range of programming across radio, television and online to suit all tastes.

You do not really have the right to complain about your money being wasted on a single programme. No programme is desugned to appeal to everyone. The "why is my licence fee paying for this shit," is a completely false argument.

Yes I think The Apprentice is shit

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

It isn't. Your licence fee is allowing you to legally watch a TV. That money is then passed over to the BBC to create a broad range of programming across radio, television and online to suit all tastes.

You do not really have the right to complain about your money being wasted on a single programme. No programme is desugned to appeal to everyone. The "why is my licence fee paying for this shit," is a completely false argument.

I think I do and I just did. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, bickster said:

Well I for one think the BBC should make loads of documentaries about the Beatles because virtually everyone likes them :D

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Well I for one think the BBC should make loads of documentaries about the Beatles because virtually everyone likes them :D

I'm with @bicksteron the Beatles, not a fan and think they're massively overrated. But then again I think the same about Star Wars so I suspect I'm in the minority about these things. 

How can anyone hate The Beatles? 

OL, I get it with Bicks, because he's a Liverpool taxi guy. And if you aren't of my generation you'll never really appreciate the cultural impact they had. And if your musical tastes run to more extreme genres, you'll probably find them a bit tame. 

But to actually hate them? Don't get it. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

How can anyone hate The Beatles? 

OL, I get it with Bicks, because he's a Liverpool taxi guy. And if you aren't of my generation you'll never really appreciate the cultural impact they had. And if your musical tastes run to more extreme genres, you'll probably find them a bit tame. 

But to actually hate them? Don't get it. 

I don't think they're even that pushed anymore either, you can say they're overrated but they're not one of those bands where they're that are annoying as **** because they're overrated and radio and TV and seemingly everyone pushes and promotes them so hard that you can't escape them, no drunk guy in the pub is trying to start arguments because he thinks they're great, no mate talks about them as something new he's discovered

Get back might have changed that I'm not sure but I think they're just kind of there and generally accepted which means you can take them however you want, you can avoid them - agree with maybe not if you're a Liverpool taxi driver 

11 hours ago, sidcow said:

I think I do and I just did. 

That makes you the willing accomplice in the grand Tory plan to privatise the BBC and abolish the licence fee. Because people make that false argument all the time, the Tories feel enabled to push that agenda.

You'll miss it when it’s gone.

• Like 4

I don’t know, I think it’s fine to complain about a particular programme, saying it’s a waste of a license fee and at the same time not want to abolish the BBC license fee. It’s basically “Points of View”.

I remember lots of folk getting annoyed about Jonathon Ross and his salary. I don’t remember ALL those people saying the license fee should therefore be axed. They were saying Ross wasn’t worth £6 million a year and suggesting it could be better spent. Because he wasn’t worth it and it could.

For the record, my personal opinion is the license fee is worth it for CBeebies alone.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I think it’s fine to complain about a particular programme, saying it’s a waste of a license fee

It's fine to complain about a programme.

It isn't a waste of the Licence Fee. As soon as you bring the Licence Fee into the argument, it enables the Tories plan, it's exactly what they want you be thinking

People need to realise that the Licence Fee is what enables them to watch telly legally. That it funds the BBC is an entirely different issue. It doesn't entirely fund the BBC for starters (about a 75/25 split between Licence Fee and Overseas Sales).

The money for the Licence Fee is collected by an outside agency and  given to the Government, it is a tax. The Government then allocates the money to the BBC (and says where it should spend its money too iirc)

The Licence Fee also allows you to watch live football legally on any channel, or any other TV channels output as it is broadcast.

The Goverment like you to think the Licence Fee is collected by the BBC (in name it is, in reality it isn't),

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

As a non-license fee payer I feel well within my rights to question the BBC wasting my money on flying the Masterchef finalists out to the opposite side of the world, at least pre-Covid.

Thats perfectly OK

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

I dont understand the big attraction for Darts ? Watched a bit of world darts or something similar and all it was is, 20 20 20 20 double 6 Followed by 20 20 20 20 double 10 etc etc etc.

Darts is a fine game for playing in the pub. As a spectator sport? Hell, no. 

See also: snooker. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

I dont understand the big attraction for Darts ? Watched a bit of world darts or something similar and all it was is, 20 20 20 20 double 6 Followed by 20 20 20 20 double 10 etc etc etc.

darts was OK years ago when any audience had to be quiet.

Now it's full of Alf Garnett word with signs and foam hands singing brain dead ditties.

words removed.

Â