Paul Lambert

limpid

I've just posted about this in the new manager thread, I hadn't seen it on here. As I said, the fact that he asked for a face to face meeting suggests he really didn't want to go, and that makes me feel rubbish. Like I say I think he had to go, but the manner in which it was done was so gutless. I love my club but I really am ashamed of the men running it.

Lambert's statement almost made me cry, it was like something out of a movie. I really hope the club addresses all this General Krulak nonsence tomorrow.

Edited by useless

Look, being sacked over the phone can't be nice, but when the owner and CEO are 4000 miles away there's hardly any alternative. He needed to go and there was no point wasting time on getting a replacement in

• Like 1

Look, being sacked over the phone can't be nice, but when the owner and CEO are 4000 miles away there's hardly any alternative. He needed to go and there was no point wasting time on getting a replacement in

What was the CEO doing 4000 miles away if they thought there was a possibility that they'd have to bin their employee #1 after tuesday's game?
  • Like 1

What was the CEO doing 4000 miles away if they thought there was a possibility that they'd have to bin their employee #1 after tuesday's game?

Apparently he was at the Hull game. So I'd imagine he jetted straight off to the States to plead with Lerner to finally sack him. It would explain the unusual timing of the confirmation - i.e. 8pm here.

• Like 1

Apparently he was at the Hull game. So I'd imagine he jetted straight off to the States to plead with Lerner to finally sack him. It would explain the unusual timing of the confirmation - i.e. 8pm here.

If that's the case then that's even more shit.

The pleading with the recumbent owner on his beach can be done over the 'phone, the dismissal can then be done face to face. Poor stuff if it's as you say.

If that's the case then that's even more shit.The pleading with the recumbent owner on his beach can be done over the 'phone, the dismissal can then be done face to face. Poor stuff if it's as you say.

I'd disagree. Lerner stubbornly backed Lambert to such a mind-boggling extent that it was always going to a tough gig to get his blessing to pull the plug. Doing it face-to-face was probably necessary and therefore was a greater priority than a face-to-face meeting with Lambert. Just a theory though as it may have been totally different.

I don't think the timing was that unusual - in fact more often than not manager sackings are announced in the evening. Sunday night for example is prime time for manager sackings.

Yeah, you're right actually.

If that's the case then that's even more shit.The pleading with the recumbent owner on his beach can be done over the 'phone, the dismissal can then be done face to face. Poor stuff if it's as you say.

I'd disagree. Lerner stubbornly backed Lambert to such a mind-boggling extent that it was always going to a tough gig to get his blessing to pull the plug. Doing it face-to-face was probably necessary and therefore was a greater priority than a face-to-face meeting with Lambert. Just a theory though as it may have been totally different.

It doesn't stop it being poor form, though I get your point about beating Lerner in to submission.

as said in the posts below mine, he was meeting with his boss. now, he could've waited til he got back to brum to do it face to face, but that'd have added a couple of days, most likely, to things, and meant a couple of days less to get a replacement in. Would you have preferred that?

Edited by P3te

Deep down I think Lambert will feel relived it's all over along with myself and many others.

What I don't like is the continued abusive insults,

I have to let people go all the time if they haven't got the minerals, however I'm not abusive and insult them on their way out to the bus stop, then carry it on all the way to the job centre!

• Like 1

I've just posted about this in the new manager thread, I hadn't seen it on here. As I said, the fact that he asked for a face to face meeting suggests he really didn't want to go, and that makes me feel rubbish. Like I say I think he had to go, but the manner in which it was done was so gutless. I love my club but I really am ashamed of the men running it.

Yep, it feels like the good clueless guy is gone and we're left with the bad clueless guys.

Lambert's statement almost made me cry, it was like something out of a movie. I really hope the club addresses all this General Krulak nonsence tomorrow.

Jesus christ... he's a manager who was awful for us. It's not like he's dying and has given his farewell speech. He's been a complete failure and got sacked. I'm so happy he's gone.

I agree with what Krulak said, the football was dire, win, lose or draw it's been horrific every year Lambert has been in charge. 

Tried his best, but is a terrible football manager. 

• Like 1

Jesus christ... he's a manager who was awful for us. It's not like he's dying and has given his farewell speech. He's been a complete failure and got sacked. I'm so happy he's gone.

I agree with what Krulak said, the football was dire, win, lose or draw it's been horrific every year Lambert has been in charge.

He's far from a terrible football manager And hasn't been a complete failure. To keep this club up was a miracle.

He's far from a terrible football manager And hasn't been a complete failure. To keep this club up was a miracle.

Disagree. I think with the squad he inherited, and the money that's been available, keeping us up was completely achievable. 

Maybe I was being a little harsh, I'd say in his first season he did well. Second season he underachieved, this season has been a disaster.

The complete lack of coaching, tactics and direction sum up his managerial ability.  He's a poor manager, and will go the same way as Jewell, Coyle etc... 

There's been no progression in the way we play after 3 years of him. 

Edited by PieFacE

I go along with that.

I think there's an argument to be had that in his first 2 seasons he did well.

Maybe "well" is to strong for some, but definitely acceptable.

He cut wages, he kept us in the league, he revamped the squad.

But this season he's been poor. To his credit he's used money well to build a decent squad so there was no excuse for not pushing on this year. He'd put himself in a good enough position to do that.

But it hasn't happened. Even if he wasn't totally to blame, this season has been unacceptable as a whole.

The time was right for him to go. In fact it was overdue. But it had to be done.

The time was right for him to go. In fact it was overdue.

That's the problem. He should have gone last summer, it's a nightmare trying to get a good manager in at this stage of the season and that manager has to keep us up.

But like I said, I don't think that believing Lambert could push us on from there was so crazy. It's likely that Lerner certainly thought he'd comfortably keep us up, so with his remit there's no reason he would have sacked him.

I wouldn't have been happy if we'd sacked him in the summer. It would have been the right decision looking back, but at the time there were plenty of people happy for him to stay on, even if that wasn't the right thing to do.

Â