Paul Lambert

limpid

But how will it be worse? I don't see how it can be worse than losing and not scoring.

It can be worse because you'd hope that the games against Hull, Stoke, Newcastle, West Brom, Sunderland and Swansea will allows us a chance to improve. 

They're easier fixtures which is obviously an advantage and you'd hope Gil and Sinclair will make the impact we're all hoping they will make in those games.

And let's be honest, if it's not going to improve in those games then we're going down.

Protesting could be detrimental to the team and mean that improvement has no chance of happening. You say "it can't get worse", well it can get worse. Every game that our current form continues for is it getting worse. And if we protest and get on the team's back then there's every chance of them failing to improve results to the standard we need them to.

Gil looks a good player, but he is just one man playing in the same set up that has mustered 7 goals in half a season of football. That is an incredible ask, for him and Sinclair, who also looks reasonable, but has barely played in two seasons, to come and change our fortunes.

The movement in midfield and inability to get close to the front man is part of our problems and it stems from the lack of coaching they receive and the tactical ineptness of the manager to muster a plan or way of breaking a side down.

We have good fixtures away at West Brom, at home to Palace and Sunderland and we took two points and failed to score. We’ve taken 12 points and scored 7 goals since we beat Liverpool in half a season. That isn’t just relegation form, its bottom of the league and well adrift form.

The fact this isn’t isolated, but yet another horrible run of many over two and a half dismal seasons is indefensible.  Lambert should have gone several times over and its staggering that he is still here, with his ineptitude matched only by that of Lerner.

Who said they were deemed acceptable by the same people? I thought they were foolish.

We were safe by the time the protests against McLeish took place were we not? Sensible.

The protests against McLeish took place before the season had started and continued sporadically throughout the season! Sensible?

Why is it that protests against O'Leary were deemed acceptable and he was hounded out and we didn't get relegated and protests against McLeish were deemed acceptable and he was hounded out and we didn't get relegated yet protests against Lambert are not deemed acceptable as we might get relegated?

I am not waving a white flag because Lambert has it firmly tucked in his pocket every week.

In O'Leary's case, he had lost the dressing room and that was reflected in the fact that his 3 seasons were a continually downward spiral. So in the 3rd season where we barely stayed up with a squad capable of more, and his horrible attitude towards his players in post-match interviews, the whole place was against him. He had to go and everyone was pulling in the same direction on that.

In McLeish's case it was a perfect storm. Not only was he not wanted initially. Not only did he have a history of relegating sides. He continued to do at Villa what he was known for doing elsewhere and he also did it with a squad on much higher wages than Lambert. So, again, a squad on paper capable of far more than he got from them. Admittedly, in hindsight, McLeish's remit was exactly the same as Lambert's. To reduce the wage bill whilst keeping us up, but because no-one wanted him in the first place, he was always on a hiding to nothing.

Lambert inherited a bad situation from day one. He hasn't created one from what was a more preferable starting point. He has done mission impossible and continues to do so. Now the tide is clearly turning against him in terms of the percentage of fans who want him out, and they'll inevitably get their way in the end. But as for why not everyone thinks the same way. The above might go some way to explaining that. Basically it's all about context.

• Like 2

I honestly don't believe we have less chance of getting a result if we sing Lambert out for 90 minutes.

Then I think you've got serious issues grasping reality. It also points to you clearly not believing that supporters make a blind bit of difference to what happens in the pitch. So why bother at all?

This conversation is just going to go rounds and round in circles, I'm done.

If the players really like him and, want him to remain at the club, surely they would play out of their skins to save their manager - if the crowd started to chant for him to be sacked?

The pressure from those chants would be on Paul Lambert - not the players. They would just have to play to the best of their ability. If they don't, and he loses his job as a result, they then have to look at themselves and ask themselves if they cost someone they liked - and wanted - his job. Maybe then they will buck their ideas up and start to play better.

Edited by villarocker
  • Like 1

I honestly don't believe we have less chance of getting a result if we sing Lambert out for 90 minutes.

Then I think you've got serious issues grasping reality. It also points to you clearly not believing that supporters make a blind bit of difference to what happens in the pitch. So why bother at all?

If the players really like him and, want him to remain at the club, surely they would play out of their skins to save their manager - if the crowd started to chant for him to be sacked?

The pressure from those chants would be on Paul Lambert - not the players. They would just have to play to the best of their ability. If they don't, and he loses his job as a result, they then have to look at themselves and ask themselves if they cost someone they liked - and wanted - his job. Maybe then they will buck their ideas up and start to play better.

I firmly believe the majority of players have stopped playing for him, you can see it in the body language and the way they apply themselves.

My grasp is fine thanks. If yours isn't I can tell you the facts regarding our last 8-6 games if you like. So if we don't win and don't score without protests I'm struggling to say how it will get worse than that if we did protest.

I believe supporters can make a slight difference in certain situations. In our a currently I think its absolutely laughable to think the fans chanting is the difference between what we're seeing and improvement.

12 points in 19 games.

No win in the last 8 games.

No goal in the last 6 games.

How can any protest be detrimental to the team? How can it possibly be worse than that?

Apparently anti Lambert chants might affect the teams ability to score and win a game.

Wait a minute........

But they could. It could squash any hopes we may have of any sort of improvement.

You're waving a white flag.

Why is it that protests against O'Leary were deemed acceptable and he was hounded out and we didn't get relegated and protests against McLeish were deemed acceptable and he was hounded out and we didn't get relegated yet protests against Lambert are not deemed acceptable as we might get relegated?

I am not waving a white flag because Lambert has it firmly tucked in his pocket every week.

Why are you asking me?

I've never said any of that.

But fwiw, I have never said that you SHOULDN'T protest. you can do whatever you like. You have every right to be upset.

I was merely sayign that in my opinion it would be detrimental to the team and that's not a very good idea right now/

My grasp is fine thanks. If yours isn't I can tell you the facts regarding our last 8-6 games if you like. So if we don't win and don't score without protests I'm struggling to say how it will get worse than that if we did protest.

I believe supporters can make a slight difference in certain situations. In our a currently I think its absolutely laughable to think the fans chanting is the difference between what we're seeing and improvement.

If the fans chanting positively has been responsible for the crap served up by Lambert over the last 2 and a half seasons then perhaps they had better shut up because it is having a detrimental affect on the players, performances and results.

All true but I do think considering the resources he has had to work with its not the worse squad in the world. I also think it's better than when he took over.

I just don't think he knows what needs to be done anymore. I kind of admire his desire to turn things around, but he really has pushed his luck. The first few seasons pundits and some fans would talk about how they admire Lerner for giving a young British manager a chance. But even most pundits and probably all fans are now think wtf is going on.

Now you seem to be trying to convince me that Lambert should be sacked.

You don't need to. We're in agreement there.

• Like 1

We were safe by the time the protests against McLeish took place were we not? Sensible.

No we weren't.  I was at the Wigan away game, and the abuse he got that day was horrific.  We also weren't remotely safe on the 24 April when we lost at home to Bolton, which was probably the nail in McLeish's coffin.  We ended the day 3 points clear of the relegation places with three games to go, so no, not safe at all.  The crowd let rip that day, and Lerner can't have failed to notice.  We were only really safe on the final day when our goal difference meant that results didn't really matter.

• Like 2

The point is, that's where we have to go shopping. Now that is in no way saying that these players aren't good enough to be Premier League players. I think they are. I'm just pointing out where Lambert has had to do his business and that this motley crew has no divine right to be higher at all just because some of us say so

Seems a very strange way to judge what should be expected. Seems quite self serving to use where the player came from rather than judging the individual player and the squad put together on ability.

I hear people saying this a lot. But on what objective basis should we be 10th-12th? We have been forced to consistently buy players from either the lower divisions or the lesser divisions abroad.

If we take a critical look at our first team and where they actually came from

Guzan lesser league

Hutton, Cissokho from top leagues.

Clark - Villa youth

Vlaar lesser league

Sanchez Elche

Delph league one

Gil 8 apps for Valencia

Weimann - Villa youth (16yo from R.Vienna)

Gabby - Villa youth

Benteke lesser league 

That's a very one-eyed assessment.  Benteke, Sanchez and Vlaar are established international strikers, the fact that they came from "lesser leagues" doesn't reduce their ability.  Delph might have come from League 1, but that was a long time ago when he was bought as a promising youngster.  He's now an establised Premier League player and has been for several years.  There's also Cleverley (Man Utd), Kozak (Serie A), Given (Premier League) etc.  Bit of a non starter tbh, and you also need to look at where other teams got their players.

I think a lot of managers would have got us relegated. He's had a very tough job to do and I don't think he has done better than bang average and achieved minimum expectations except in the transfer market. But he now has IMO a very good first XI and experience on the bench so it is now time to shoot up the league or be gone.

No we weren't.  I was at the Wigan away game, and the abuse he got that day was horrific.  We also weren't remotely safe on the 24 April when we lost at home to Bolton, which was probably the nail in McLeish's coffin.  We ended the day 3 points clear of the relegation places with three games to go, so no, not safe at all.  The crowd let rip that day, and Lerner can't have failed to notice.  We were only really safe on the final day when our goal difference meant that results didn't really matter.

Just looking at that and it's quite the collection of clubs that was below us that day. All have gone down since and only QPR have come back (and look like going again).

Pts Club

36 Aston Villa

34 QPR

34 Wigan

33 Bolton

31 Blackburn

23 Wolves

That's a very one-eyed assessment.  Benteke, Sanchez and Vlaar are established international strikers, the fact that they came from "lesser leagues" doesn't reduce their ability.  Delph might have come from League 1, but that was a long time ago when he was bought as a promising youngster.  He's now an establised Premier League player and has been for several years.  There's also Cleverley (Man Utd), Kozak (Serie A), Given (Premier League) etc.  Bit of a non starter tbh, and you also need to look at where other teams got their players.

The point I was making was not about their quality. It was about the shop we bought them in.

Â