Paul Lambert

limpid

Unless Randy changes his evaluation on the value of Aston Villa right now, a sale will not occur in the short term. However, in Tom Fox I actually feel there is potential to help grow the club into a sale-able asset.

With the right backing and a bit of investment I think Lambert still has potential as a manager and could take us back to (at least) a solid top half team. Until he has this opportunity, I don't think anyone can really question what he has done - he's kept a 'sinking ship' afloat, better than most could do in similar situations.

Sone might argue we're heading for an iceberg with Lambert as the captain of the ship!

Just been asked what my new years wish was.

My answer?

Lambert to prove me wrong.

Ive wanted nothing more than Lambert to prove me wrong for nearly 3 seasons. The difference now, unlike some, is I don't get a erection after a rare 2 wins in a row!

• Like 3

We desperately need investment. We are 2 or 3 players away from competing for europa league spots in my opinion. Our defense is one of the most solid ones in the league. If we could hold on to Delph and Vlaar and invest in a young talented attacking midfielder with tons of creativity like Dennis Praet or Juan Fernando Quintero, and some decent wingers, there's no telling how far this team could go.

Aren't we spending as much (or close to) as we can under pl ffp? I'm not sure we actually CAN spend more without making more

We desperately need investment. We are 2 or 3 players away from competing for europa league spots in my opinion. Our defense is one of the most solid ones in the league. If we could hold on to Delph and Vlaar and invest in a young talented attacking midfielder with tons of creativity like Dennis Praet or Juan Fernando Quintero, and some decent wingers, there's no telling how far this team could go.

Aren't we spending as much (or close to) as we can under pl ffp? I'm not sure we actually CAN spend more without making more

That can't be right. How are pretty much all other teams managing to spend more than us?

They have less overheads than us. We spend a fortune on non footballing staff wages for starters. Also, a promoted team can outspend us many times over since they're coming into the league with championship wages and are earning many many times that from being in the PL. we, on the other hand, just about break even as it is

Edited by P3te

I think the movement towards a more possession based game is the right way to go, granted we're not creating oodles of clear cut chances but this is a new thing for the guys on the pitch... As time goes by it will produce goals and the fact that we're not conceding is extremely positive. 

It'll come together, Swansea and Liverpool fans had to endure a period where goals weren't flowing despite possession... I think that this is the future, we just need a touch more class in the middle (which hopefully Cole can provide).

For all the criticism of Weimann his movement is exactly the sort of thing the rest of our attacking players should be doing, granted the end product isn't there but dynamic movement off the ball is key to this lineup working. For what its worth, I think this'll be the best season we've had under Lambo come the end of it.

• Like 1

- he's kept a 'sinking ship' afloat,

just like Saddam Hussein kept a nation together.

An American puppet allowed to continue to run the club/country to his own ends until such time as he displays a thought for independence?

I guess next we expect Lambert to criticise Lerner in a press conference, Lerner to fly over, sack him, make sure he never works again and sell Benteke to the LA Galaxy for £500,000?

• Like 2

Its possession football yes, but when the team is coached to be defensive rather than attacking your not gonna score many goals. 10 of the players on the pitch (including Guzan) have to make there defensive duties priority over attacking intent, surely no one can dissagree with this!

There is just no balance?? Hoof ball produced to much pressure defensively when we lost the ball, This genius Possession football has zero impact on the opposion defense, its so easy to play against when a team sits back. Any goal we score looks like coming from a mistake by the opposing team rather than a show of class by this clueless system.

Surely no one can disagree with something you just made up?

You are right. Hutton and Aly are never anywhere near the opposition box.

• Like 1

"Coaching us to be defensive."

We just finished a match with 65% possession and 14 shots to 6. Most of that possession was in the opposing team's half.

There are a lot of ways to not score goals. AM did not score goals because we have 11 behind the ball. We are not scoring goals now because our frontmen could not bury one of the eight attempts we had in the box. Lambert can be blamed for playing those players, but the "style" created real chances.

Also fun that possession, which was so important when we did not have it, no longer is mentioned.

Okay, I'll mention possession.

When we were low on possession we found ourselves under attack by the opposition for huge stretches of the game. Any attempts to retain the ball were squandered by Guzan booting the ball into touch, Guzan booting the ball to Benteke regardless of whether he was free or not, or defenders passing to KEA and him passing to one of the ball boys. This meant that we were under pressure for absolutely ages, resulting in Guzan being pelted with shots, which proved that (1) Guzan was a really good keeper and (2) even a really good keeper will be beaten if he's asked to make saves enough times. People called for more possession because it meant that we would be under less pressure and hopefully we'd concede fewer goals.

Now we have more possession and oh look, it means that we're conceding fewer goals. Our defense has been rightly praised for their improvement this season, but it stands to reason that if any defense is spending more time passing the ball and less time having to make last ditch tackles then their defensive stats will show improvement, so in that regard those who called for higher possession were proven to be correct.

The problem now is that all that extra possession is not translating to extra goals. In fact, the reduction in our long-ball game has, I think, meant that our attacking threat is now lower than when we were booting the ball straight to Benteke. The reason that teams like Arsenal and Swansea have made a success of their high-possession, intricate-passing game is that their off-the-ball movement is far better than ours, Weimann makes runs but does so when there's no pass on, and Gabby and Benteke have been largely stationary for the last few games. Compare our movement to Swansea's and you'll notice a significant difference.

Now, do we consider that Swansea's players are significantly better than ours? Because I don't, not significantly. Assuming that you agree on that point, the next question is: why do our players lack movement? And you know what? I don't know the answer. Is it due to formation? Is it due to lack of confidence? Is it a lack of communication? Is there a problem with the coaching? I don't know.

What I do know is that all of the things above are things that fall under the responsibility of the manager. It is his job to set the formation, to tell the players how he wants them to play, to set up a coaching regime that supports the play style he wants to create and encourages better communication from his players. He can't kick the ball for the players, he can't force them to score goals, but God knows he can sit in the dressing room with them and tell them that their movement is poor and why he thinks that is.

You point to the stats in the last game and mention that much of the possession was in the opposition half. That's correct, but that's because they set up in two defensive rows in front of goal and allowed us possession because their manager had seen the way we'd performed in previous games and made a tactical decision that we'd be unable to break that defence down. That's the sort of thing that falls under a manager's remit, and that the sort of thing that Lambert - rightly - gets criticism for.

Edited by Villanun
  • Like 2

- he's kept a 'sinking ship' afloat,

just like Saddam Hussein kept a nation together.

An American puppet allowed to continue to run the club/country to his own ends until such time as he displays a thought for independence?

I guess next we expect Lambert to criticise Lerner in a press conference, Lerner to fly over, sack him, make sure he never works again and sell Benteke to the LA Galaxy for £500,000?

Or for a squad of Lerner's men to fly over, find Lambert hiding in a hole in Bartley Green, put him on trial and hang him.

It's one thing playing possession football, but you need to have the creative wide players who can deliver a pass for the striker. I don't think Gabby or Weimann are these type of players, at their best they can play off the main striker Benteke.

I was in France earlier last year and had the opportunity to go to a couple of games, the one player that stood out to me was Morgan Sanson from Montpellier, he can play the Weimann role but he's at his best as an AM, can deliver a killer pass, good work rate and scores goals. For me he's the type of player we need to target to build pressure on defences in attack.

The problem is teams now how to play against us. So while its OK saying well it will click and all we need is one player, well that might work for awhile.

At the moment teams let us have the ball in our defensive and midfield thirds with little pressure. If we did start to score a few goals then that would then change, teams would approach us in a different way. Could we then adapt to that?

I don't think Lambert is capable of coaching or picking the right tactics to 1) get us scoring a good amount of goals with this squad 2) adapting if teams then pressured us on the ball.

I just don't think he's the kind of manager who adapts well during games and clearly he's not a coaching style of manager.

• Like 1

Villanun, you obviously watch or go to the games and I agree with what you say 100%. People need to understand how managers study opposing teams and how they play. Villa at the moment are playing the most basic of possession football which is so easy to defend against and without a plan B, I really cannot see where the goals will come from.

Also when you only have one player (Benteke) who is the most likely to score, it doesn't take Mourinho to know who to mark out the game!!

• Like 1

Â