Paul Lambert

limpid

based on what he's had to deal with I think the transfer market has been utilised well. There have been inexpensive gambles that haven't worked out, but for low cost at a time when RL was even more keen on cutting the expenditure and we needed numbers.

Westwood has proved to be a very good buy

Benteke - outstanding

Cissokho - very solid

Senderos - better than any of us expected

Vlaar - good value for money

Kozak - very unfortunate with his injuries, had certainly showed some utility for the side before being injured

Guzan - some will dispute this - but he had the choice not to re-sign him, but he did sign him, so he is an acquisition that counts for me, as he soon then replaced Given in the line up early on that season.

Okore - again very unlucky with a long term injury but showing signs now of the talent that could see him be a great player for the club

Sanchez - jury is still out, but I think many people accept he is developing game by game, and come the season's end may have shown himself to be very valuable, still a way to go so can't say either way yet

Cleverley - I like him, others less so, but he's certainly not a flop, and if he does deteriorate in performance we don't have to buy him. Personally I think he has been useful and is improving

Richardson - cheap but solid and done better than expected when he's started. Not amazing, but certainly no flop

Joe Cole - a cheap gamble, who but for a penalty almost won us 3 points in one of his limited showing's so far. Unlikely to feature heavily, but given the apparent deal is structured on appearances, not expensive, and a useful option in the squad, not a flop

Bacuna - cheap, in his first full season he had good and bad games, now out of favour it seems, pushed down the order by better players, but has scored big goals for us before, and for the money paid, again not a flop, he has simply been replaced with upgrades.

Lowton - looks to be a failure now, but his first season did show some promise, for whatever reason something's gone on, and I suspect he'll be moved on. Has scored two memorable belters, and any loss on his transfer fee would be negligible at best.

Bennett - yup, failure. Not been good enough.

Steer - back up goalie, young for the future, clearly wasn't bought for now, so can't call one way or another yet.

Helenius - failed - possibly suffered some serious issues last year, we don't know all the details, but either way even when fit didn't add enough to the team to be selectable, but a cheap failure.

Sylla - ok failed hasn't been good

Bowery - failed but cheap.

There's no multimillion write-offs here.

Very much agree. 

Senderos and Richardson were free, we need to take that into account with how well they've done for the squad. Sanchez and Cleverly it's too early to tell but both are first team players now so deserve credit for results where they have played and results going foraward. 

Bacuna, was cheap, is being paid low wages and did a job and is still young. 

Lowton was great in first season, lost his way last season. But for what £3mil ??

A line goes through Helenius, hope he is doing well back home. 

I'd say benteke, okore and guzan are in the excellent catergory.

Westwood, vlaar, cissokho, cleverley anf sanchez are in the good category.

Cole, senderos, Richardson, bacuna and kozak are in the OK category

The rest are poor.

That's a good strike rate that. Especially given all of those marked as "poor" cost peanuts. Also; jury it's still out on a few of those, they could improve or go the opposite way. Maybe too early to call Okore excellent, conversely Senderos and Cole were better than OK in unfortunately fleeting glimpses.

Still, very good work in the market IMO.

The rest are poor.

So to list out the poor

Lowton, Bennett, Luna, Sylla, KEA, Helenius, Steer, Tonev, Bowery. 

I'd disagree. I'd say Lowton and KEA were OK over the course of the 2 years

• Like 2

People are forgetting Elhamidi (sp) who I thought was a very decent player for us last year.  I think we missed him when we went 6 losses earlier this season.

Who do you think KEA is?

The rest are poor.

So to list out the poor

I'd second that. I'd also potentially move Sylla up, Maybe, just because he contributed to our decent run at the back end of the first season.

Edited by sexbelowsound

The rest are poor.

So to list out the poor

I'd second that. I'd also potentially move Sylla up, Maybe, just because he contributed to our decent run at the back end of the first season.

Na Sylla is one of the worst players I've ever seen play...seriously awful.

The rest are poor.

So to list out the poor

Na Sylla is one of the worst players I've ever seen play...seriously awful.

Yeah he is pretty poor. I just feel that he contributed well during that period. For some reason going into the second season he looked exactly like what he was, a second division French player.

• Like 1

The rest are poor.

That's a good strike rate that. Especially given all of those marked as "poor" cost peanuts. Also; jury it's still out on a few of those, they could improve or go the opposite way. Maybe too early to call Okore excellent, conversely Senderos and Cole were better than OK in unfortunately fleeting glimpses.

Yeah I think he's signed some good players. Its his failure to get consistent results and performances out of them that has frustrated me.

• Like 1

The rest are poor.

So to list out the poor

Lowton was okay in his first season, but utter wank ever since.

The rest are poor.

Yeah I think he's signed some good players. Its his failure to get consistent results and performances out of them that has frustrated me.

Totally agree. I'm personally trying to get out of the habit of saying "I'm no Lambert fan BUT..." every time I praise him for something. It's tricky!

Same for me.

In fact I can't think of a prenmier manager who has bought better, particularly for the outlay and wages, than Lambert, over the last few years. What's more they don't seem to have been widely 'known' in the sense of being obvious buys.

The rest are poor.

I agree, the key to the frustration some fans such as yourself have had is that he's signed good players but still not got consistent performances

So who do you think was better in this regard? Houllier? McLeish? O'Neill? 

Because I think Lambert has done better than any of them in terms of what he has got for the money he has spent.

I agree. I have been critical of Lambert in terms of the way he has set us up to play and his tactical nous but one thing I can’t criticise him for is his transfer dealings. Given what he has had to spend I think he has done very well. Obviously Benteke is the jewel in the crown but given what he paid for them I’d say Westwood, Vlaar and Cissokho are exceptional bits of business and although it is early days Okore and Sanchez could soon follow them into that bracket.

I also think that Lowton was a steal based on his first season form but as can happen he seems to have gone off the boil . He could come again though.

Of the rest most have proven their worth and if we do lose on any of them it won’t be for much.

Especially given we all wanted to have Clark euthanised based on last seasons form and look at him now. It would be interesting to see how Lowton would have fared in the past few games had hutton been inured. 

Whats also excellent is this year we've had lots of troubles, end of last season and the 6 game losing streak this season and yet he's never lost the dressing room. Not even a rumour of discontent. He even managed to stay on good terms with Alan Hutton despite freezing him out, testament to both of them tbh. 

A manager losing the dressing room is how teams implode and get relegated. Lambert has never managed a team where he's not had limited finanaces. It'll be interesting next summer if he has a decent season and is given the cash. 

• Like 3

Good lord.  Are my eyes deceiving me?  There seems to be accord on Villatalk that Lambert's transfer dealings have been very good!

One hurdle crossed.

Now you just need to all agree with me that he is the best manager we have had in 30 years and we'll be fine and dandy

Seriously his ability to operate well in the transfer market given the restrictions he has had is one of the main reasons I feel that way about him as I do not believe any other manager we have had would have been able to operate that way (obviously proportionately to the time they managed us)

• Like 1

I don't understand this lets have some solidity until the summer stuff. It's Lamberts 3rd year he's had enough time to get the sqaud his it's now time to progress. In the summer we will likely lose Delph Vlaar and Benteke what do you then say next season? That's we are in transition? Football changes very quickly that's why 5'year plans are stupid. You have to progress at every opportunity. If we develop a style of play that's good to watch and brings results we'll have a lot better chance of getting our star players to stay and attracting others. Who wants to play in a boring struggling side that doesn't improve??

• Like 1

Â