Paul Lambert

limpid

Statistical corner: The word "IF" appears once every 7 words in the Lambert thread.

If things had been different, he'd be a great manager.

Shame they weren't.

I wonder how many managers of relegated clubs over the years have said "if we had got 3 points here and 1 point there and hung on against so and so and if so and so hadn't got sent off in that game we would have had enough points to stay up"?

It's amazing how people cling on to these 'what if' moments to try to find some solace as the mess unfolds before their eyes.

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 1

Interesting stats for those that worry about progression: Villa are the second most improved team based on like for like fixtures last year. West Ham are clear winners on that front at the moment (£31m will do that) but Villa are making progress, albeit from a very poor position last year.

http://bwinbetting.com/leagues/premier-league/west-ham-aston-villa-chelsea-201415s-most-improved-teams,64594.html?

Add to that, joint best start to a premier league campaign ever and 4 clean sheets out of 8 away games and there is definitely positives to be taken so far this season.

• Like 1

Interesting stats for those that worry about progression: Villa are the second most improved team based on like for like fixtures last year. West Ham are clear winners on that front at the moment (£31m will do that) but Villa are making progress, albeit from a very poor position last year.

http://bwinbetting.com/leagues/premier-league/west-ham-aston-villa-chelsea-201415s-most-improved-teams,64594.html?

Add to that, joint best start to a premier league campaign ever and 4 clean sheets out of 8 away games and there is definitely positives to be taken so far this season.

Joint best start out of how many games?

• Like 1

Joint best start out of how many games?

• Like 1

You can play but at least my supposition had the benefit of being realistic and something that was within our grasp of achieving.  And basically just to show how tight it is and perhaps our season is not as bad as some people like to make out it is.

If it hadn't of been for Guzan and the woodwork we could of easily lost the games against Westham, Southampton, and Burnley. If that had happened our season would be a lot worse. It works both ways.

• Like 1

I must remember to read this thread next time I come away from a poor game. It must all be in my mind.

Well if you can't be arsed to read the Premier League transfer spendings or the league table, this thread might have to do.
Your mates are slow with their 'likes'. I don't need to read waffle to tell me how my team are performing. I can see it with my own eyes. Edited by George Curtis
  • Like 4

I must remember to read this thread next time I come away from a poor game. It must all be in my mind.

Well if you can't be arsed to read the Premier League transfer spendings or the league table, this thread might have to do.

Your mates are slow with their 'likes'.

Yeah, I know, the ****s

• Like 2

To be expected, people moaned about the performance, because you can't moan about the result.

Last week people moaned about the result because the performance was good for most of the game. 

If we put in a performance and a result against Leicester, the moaning will be, it was only Leicester at home we should be doing that but what about x,y,z

Stop living in the past, we've made good signings in the summer, we've a better team now than the hamstrung financially teams of the past two seasons. We're improving

But best of all, ye can moan and moan and moan and moan. But as long as the team gets results I'll be smiling and you bet you Lambert will be too. Ye can all still patter away on the keyboard of course.  ;)

have to say that it does seem a little like this at times and maybe it's because minds have been made up? With no chance of changing ?

Can't help but get the feeling that you have also made up your mind about Lambert?

Of course I have I totally accept that and everyone I would assume gets that.

However we have had bad results and performances to prove that.  What happens if we go on a ru n of ten straight victories? Those who dont want him change their mind?

All I am saying is I am not sure our fans would be prepared to change their opinion on Lambert like wet spam and barcodes fans have done for their manager

Well for myself a lot more than some mediocre performances against pretty ordinary opposition which, whilst better than what went before showed almost no guile, tactical flexibility, or watchable football.

However I would back Lambert in spite of poor football if the results become worth it, or I will back him if results remain only average but the football improves,if, in either case, it looks like he consistently gets the most out of the players and develops a watchable, discernible style.

I don't think that is a lot to ask, and as it took me about 80 games to stop backing him I think it is fair that I wait more than one or two.....plus some airy fairy ideas that some have about defeats that shouldn't have been !....before he gets it back

But if...and I hope he does...he 'does an allerdyce ' that would be great. Trouble is even when playing badly i could discern allerdyces input...im not sure i see what pl is imposing on this side other than a defensive\unddrdog mentslity.

• Like 3

This kind of thing really ought to go in Mr Byrne's (Off Topic) misuse of statistics thread, shouldn't it? Edited by snowychap

The mood has changed considerably on here. Its amazing what one win can do. Maybe if we put in a performance and get all 3 points this weekend we can all have a Merry Christmas full of joy and wonderment.  :D

Maybe, but for me, Lambert will still be the Turkey!!

• Like 1

I don't need to read waffle to tell me how my team are performing. I can see it with my own eyes.

At least tell me you know the difference (please, god) between one of these:

under-14-c-league-table-2011_121.jpg

Gwaelod y Garth must have an absolute pair of curtains in goal. And Joe Bennett at left back.

• Like 2

The mood has changed considerably on here. Its amazing what one win can do. Maybe if we put in a performance and get all 3 points this weekend we can all have a Merry Christmas full of joy and wonderment.  :D

Maybe, but for me, Lambert will still be the Turkey!!

Bah Humbug!

• Like 1

Palace was Lambert's perfect game. We all know we can sit deep and counter teams and we will have a modicum of success doing it but surely we deserve more? Sunday at home against a struggling Leicster team will be a lot harder for him as he has to take the game to them which is something we've seen fleetingly this season and in Lamberts tenure. I have zero confidence in Lambert being able to turn us into anything other than what we are now. A low possession counter attacking team. Hopefully if he is being backed by Lerner he can bring in a number 2 who get us passing and moving a lot better than we have been. I hope I'm proved wrong but after 2 1/4 seasons I've seen nothing that thinks he can or wants to get a better playing style. We are crying out for creativity. If he doesn't rectify that in January it will show he is clueless as it's what we've been after since he arrived. If we had Palaces wide men we would be flying!

• Like 2

Leicester is the perfect game for Lambert to prove himself and gain a few more fans back. Its at home and they are a struggling team. No need to set up defensively or at any point drop deep into defensive play. He needs to prove at home he has faith in the players to play good attacking football for 90 minutes, Benteke's back so no excuses. Its shouldn't be much of a scrap against Leicester and even the pro Lambert supporters cannot disagree he owes it to the fans at home, 

I will be there and im expecting a good performance no excuses. Lambert its over to you, prove me wrong, pleeeeeese!!!

Leicester is the perfect game for Lambert to prove himself and gain a few more fans back. Its at home and they are a struggling team. No need to set up defensively or at any point drop deep into defensive play. He needs to prove at home he has faith in the players to play good attacking football for 90 minutes, Benteke's back so no excuses. Its shouldn't be much of a scrap against Leicester and even the pro Lambert supporters cannot disagree he owes it to the fans at home, 

I will be there and im expecting a good performance no excuses. Lambert its over to you, prove me wrong, pleeeeeese!!!

They actually played pretty well against Liverpool and could have easily drawn if not for the red card, i don't think they will be a push over.

Not sure what constitutes a good performance by us either, most people on here think as long as we turn up and don't lose we are awesome.

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Like 2

They actually played pretty well against Liverpool and could have easily drawn if not for the red card, i don't think they will be a push over.

Not sure what constitutes a good performance by us either, most people on here think as long as we turn up and don't lose we are awesome.

Not most people though, just a dwindling few.

Â