Paul Lambert

limpid

I think sometimes a good indication of a managers position is how much he can be blamed for even when we haven't played. In this case I think it shows that Mr Lambert is under a fair bit of pressure from the sidelines. It's largely expressed in indifference, but I think it's there by the look of this thread.

You are kidding yourself

Edited by TRO

I think sometimes a good indication of a managers position is how much he can be blamed for even when we haven't played. In this case I think it shows that Mr Lambert is under a fair bit of pressure from the sidelines. It's largely expressed in indifference, but I think it's there by the look of this thread.

You are kidding yourself

In what way? You don't think he's under pressure?

You are kidding yourself

I think he is under a kinda pressure that I have not seen at villa park before......it's a kind of embarrassing pressure from folk who understand the game,not a pressure from the owner, because if he was going to sack him it would have been done way before now.

You say in what way....in a way that he displays such a turgid brand of football that has only been seen during the McNeill, Turner, O'Leary, McLeish era's.....you make a reference to him being under pressure, when we have not played, if that's your opinion of it all ....so be it, you live with it.

Let's see if he can muster a win that can shove opinions like mine down my throat.....because nothing would please me more.

Ahhh, I forgot football is the game where you need to score 2 goals or more to win.

I, too, don't consider Aston Villa to have beaten Chelsea or Liverpool in this period of time you've chosen.

Of course many of us would take 1-0 wins, any win really considering what a shambles we are under Lambert.

However, to have scored 2 or more against just 2 teams since the beginning of February shows how far we have fallen and/or how low our standards are now.

Essentially as soon as we concede a goal in a game we're very unlikely to win it (unless of course we play Hull every week).

A mess and a problem from last season continued and mistakes not rectified by Lambert. Sounds familiar.

Ahhh, I forgot football is the game where you need to score 2 goals or more to win.

I, too, don't consider Aston Villa to have beaten Chelsea or Liverpool in this period of time you've chosen.

Of course many of us would take 1-0 wins, any win really considering what a shambles we are under Lambert.

However, to have scored 2 or more against just 2 teams since the beginning of February shows how far we have fallen and/or how low our standards are now.

Essentially as soon as we concede a goal in a game we're very unlikely to win it (unless of course we play Hull every week).

A mess and a problem from last season continued and mistakes not rectified by Lambert. Sounds familiar.

I think it shows more that we've badly missed our main striker who ruptured an achilles at the start of April.  The games between your time frame of the beginning of February up to this point were;

Everton (A), West Ham (H), Cardiff (A), Newcastle (A), Norwich (H), Chelsea (H), Stoke (H), Man Utd (A).

Not unreasonable to think we could have scored more than 2 goals more than once in that period, but also not amazing that we didn't.

You are kidding yourself

I think he is under a kinda pressure that I have not seen at villa park before......it's a kind of embarrassing pressure from folk who understand the game,not a pressure from the owner, because if he was going to sack him it would have been done way before now.

You say in what way....in a way that he displays such a turgid brand of football that has only been seen during the McNeill, Turner, O'Leary, McLeish era's.....you make a reference to him being under pressure, when we have not played, if that's your opinion of it all ....so be it, you live with it.

Let's see if he can muster a win that can shove opinions like mine down my throat.....because nothing would please me more.

Looks like I'm kidding us both.

I'm guessing you've misunderstood, but I also think you're very right in saying that he's under a very unusual kind of pressure - he's not under pressure from the owner (or at least in so far as we know) and he's not getting the abuse from the terraces that say Macleish had, it's been pretty quiet, Villa Park has remained largely indifferent.

However, there is a definite growing pressure and I think you can see it in the residual unhappiness that exists even when we don't play - when Palace beat Liverpool, there are pages on our limited style against other teams willingness to attack, when a team in the bottom half win, there are pages on the increased likelihood that the managers inaction will see us go down - for me this is a great indicator of an underlying pressure on him; we no longer have to play for that pressure to continue to grow. 

That's not a good sign for Lambert, and I think the questions will now be around when it'll surface in public. I don't think we're far away.

I guess the patience (as compared to those clubs doing better than us and calling for their manager's heads) is due to an understanding of how difficult this job is, I think the time since we last played has given a pretty clear indication that this patience is running out.

It's not going to be an easy job for whoever does it, but I think in the long term, our patience will help us tempt someone into it. We've become oddly educated in our own limitations in the new world of football and it's given us an unusual viewpoint, but we're not yet the docile sheep/zen masters that those in charge might hope - personally I am indifferent to this manager, but I've a feeling that Villa Park's indifference will shortly turn to something else.

• Like 3

Perhaps I have misinterpreted what you were trying to say and if so , I apologise.

For what it is worth, I am not influenced one way or the other by what others teams do on the field, perhaps more interested what they do off it, because by the time it comes to on the field it's too late.

Yes, other teams results do affect us, but that is something we can do nothing about.

I cannot put in to words how I abhor what this guy is doing and his paymaster in aiding and abetting a situation that I never thought possible from a man that had the audacity to roll out " proud history bright future"

The two of them are a disgrace to aston villa football club.

Their actions are one thing.....their explanations of the situation are totally dismissive.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 4

Attendances do have a effect on the club, ok maybe not in monetary terms, but if attendances continue to fall his position will become untenable. I still believe McLeish got the push because of dropping attendances and because the board finally realised us fans didn't want him there!

if the fans turn and we continue to perform poorly, he won't be here in the New Year I truely believe this!

• Like 1

Attendances do have a effect on the club, ok maybe not in monetary terms, but if attendances continue to fall his position will become untenable. I still believe McLeish got the push because of dropping attendances and because the board finally realised us fans didn't want him there!

if the fans turn and we continue to perform poorly, he won't be here in the New Year I truely believe this!

I do think you are right, but I' m not convinced there is enough fans who feel he should go now.

I think the dramatic fall in attendances will have an impact and certainly make Fox sit up and take notice. Last season we averaged just over 36k. We currently average 32,700 and that is likely to decrease over the coming games and I would imagine tomorrow we will do well to get 27k.

I will be there tomorrow but Villa Park is going to be a sorry site with upwards of 15k empty seats. I'd imagine the atmosphere will be subdued and if we lose and also fail to put in a decent performance then I anticipate a similar crowd reaction to when we lost to Wolves under Houllier and Boton under McLeish which are the worst reactions to a manager I can remember in my 30+ years of going to VP.

I think tomorrow could well be a defining game for Lambert. If it doesn't go well then the atrocious run of results, the 15k+ empty seats and overall drop in attendances and crowd reaction could well lead to action being taken from those above.

Edited by markavfc40

I don't think action will be taken if we lose tomorrow, but if we lose to Burnley as well, and drop into the relegation zone as a result, he'll get the McLeish treatment at the next home game. 

What a sorry state the club is in. Its a matter of when not if we get relegated at the moment.

In no way am I defending Lambert but it must be frustrating targeting players such as sissoko,Holtby, Tadic and Coutinho then ending up with Sylla,Tonev and Helenius. I agree Lambert needs to be gone asap but that wont automatically fix everything. It is crucial the club is sold or relegation will be certain in the next two seasons. In this league you need to spend to survive. We need a new manager and chairman in asap.

I don't think action will be taken if we lose tomorrow, but if we lose to Burnley as well, and drop into the relegation zone as a result, he'll get the McLeish treatment at the next home game. 

What a sorry state the club is in. Its a matter of when not if we get relegated at the moment.

I think it could get really fruity in 24hrs time should we loose again.

Once they take notice of sub-25k crowds, he will have to go.

Not looking to pick a fight, but why? We don't finance the club through match-day attendances.
And the owner doesn't even attend on a regular basis. I agree with you, I doubt low crowds will influence our owners decision making.
Let's wait and see. Lambert will be gone before Christmas.

Â