Paul Lambert

limpid

The players are still playing for the manager and are giving it their all, we needed a result today and we got it and for once we had a few lucky breaks. We have played good in our last 3 games despite all the pressure and the bad run and have been unlucky to of not picked up more than 1 point, anybody think different?. 

Yes, we didn't play well today or against QPR.  To claim they are both good performances is a bit much.  Today we defended well and got a bit lucky that they were off form upfront and against QPR we kept the ball better and did absolutely nothing with it.

We did play well today, we deserved the point and had some decent chances, with better attacking options we would of caused alot more danger for West Ham.  We did play well vs QPR, we were all over them in the first half and they just got the the breaks in that game and came away with a nearly 100% goals to chances conversion rate.  You probably spent more time in the match thread moaning than actually watching and analysing the game.

What decent chances did we have today? And were they better than the chances sakho, downing, carrol and jenkinson had? 

If your analysis of the last 3 games is that we were good in all of them then yes i probably am doing something different.

Weimann had a shot from the peno spot that pulled a good save out of Adrian, Gabby blasted over from close range. Thats 2 decent chances. What has West Hams chances got to do with anything?  Did I say we had more or better chances than them?

So 2 half chances.  Not once did we manage to break down west ham, just like we failed to do so against QPR.

The fact they had better chances makes is difficult to agree with your assumption that a couple of half chances makes that a good performance.

Weimann had a shot from the peno spot that pulled a good save out of Adrian, Gabby blasted over from close range. Thats 2 decent chances.

and is that really acceptable?

Considering we were missing Benteke and Kozak and were playing the form team in the league then I'd class it as acceptable.  We put some good crosses in today also which would of lead to more chances if we had a proper striker.

• Like 1

The players are still playing for the manager and are giving it their all, we needed a result today and we got it and for once we had a few lucky breaks. We have played good in our last 3 games despite all the pressure and the bad run and have been unlucky to of not picked up more than 1 point, anybody think different?. 

Yes, we didn't play well today or against QPR.  To claim they are both good performances is a bit much.  Today we defended well and got a bit lucky that they were off form upfront and against QPR we kept the ball better and did absolutely nothing with it.

We did play well today, we deserved the point and had some decent chances, with better attacking options we would of caused alot more danger for West Ham.  We did play well vs QPR, we were all over them in the first half and they just got the the breaks in that game and came away with a nearly 100% goals to chances conversion rate.  You probably spent more time in the match thread moaning than actually watching and analysing the game.

What decent chances did we have today? And were they better than the chances sakho, downing, carrol and jenkinson had? 

If your analysis of the last 3 games is that we were good in all of them then yes i probably am doing something different.

Weimann had a shot from the peno spot that pulled a good save out of Adrian, Gabby blasted over from close range. Thats 2 decent chances. What has West Hams chances got to do with anything?  Did I say we had more or better chances than them?

So 2 half chances.  Not once did we manage to break down west ham, just like we failed to do so against QPR.

The fact they had better chances makes is difficult to agree with your assumption that a couple of half chances makes that a good performance.

I never stated that it was a good performance simply because we had a few good chances.  It was a good performance because we battled hard and grinded out a point vs the form team in the league. We defended well and I thought our strikers did a good job of putting pressure on their defenders. I also thought the midfield did well today.  My main gripe with the performance was our inability to stop the crosses coming into the box and I thought Lowton was woeful bar the last 10 minutes when he made some good tackles

• Like 1

Weimann had a shot from the peno spot that pulled a good save out of Adrian, Gabby blasted over from close range. Thats 2 decent chances.

Considering we were missing Benteke and Kozak and were playing the form team in the league then I'd class it as acceptable.  We put some good crosses in today also which would of lead to more chances if we had a proper striker.

Missing Benteke and Kozak shouldn't affect chances created, just chances taken

I am saddened that some of our fellow supporters will rather Villa lose to justify an agenda.

Who are they?  I doubt anyone really feels that way.

Judging from the general mood and negative posts on the forum, it seems some posters are very bitter about a positive performance and result. 

I am saddened that some of our fellow supporters will rather Villa lose to justify an agenda.

Judging from the general mood and negative posts on the forum, it seems some posters are very bitter about a positive performance and result. 

Had Wet Spam had their shooting boots on, we'd had lost.

Had Guzan not had a blinder, we'd had lost.

More often than not, playing in the same vein in the premier league, we'd lose.

Positive performance and result?

One of the things that strikes me the most of Lambert's tenure is that the vast majority of the players have not improved. This is not down to money, but down to coaching and management.

I don't think that's necessarily true IMO. I think quite a few have, some have stayed the same, some haven't had the chance either way and a couple have regressed.

Players at the club when he arrived who have improved IMO;

Guzan

Baker

Weeman

Delph

Players he has signed that have improved IMO;

Benteke

Vlaar

Westwood

Lowton

Bacuna

Impossible to say because of injury/time here;

Okore

Kozak

Sanchez

Cleverly

Helenius

Senderos

Cole

Regressed/same as:

Gabby

Given

Bent

Clarke

Tonev

Bennett

Sylla

Hutton

Luna

There will be some disagreements I know, but overall I think that's a reasonably fair view of it.

His failing is the style of play, how much of that should be attributed to his coaching is a matter of opinion, but he should be doing better.

• Like 2

Missing Benteke and Kozak shouldn't affect chances created, just chances taken

If they were both clones of Darren Bent then maybe but they are modern day strikers and offer a whole lot more than just being there to bury the chances that the rest of the team put on a plate for them,  They both would of held the ball up and helped us keep the ball better and they both would of been alot more dangerous than Gabby or Weimann on crosses and would of given us alot more options going forward.

• Like 1

Surely even the few who are still defending him aren't happy watching performances like that week in week out.

So do you guys want to keep lambert because you genuinely think he will produce something good here? Or do you think we will be worse off with someone else?

Who are they? I doubt anyone really feels that way.

And without trawling back over posts I'm pretty sure people have specifically said 'hope we lose so lambert gets the sack' or words to that effect

Surely even the few who are still defending him aren't happy watching performances like that week in week out.

So do you guys want to keep lambert because you genuinely think he will produce something good here? Or do you think we will be worse off with someone else?

Define a 'few'. There might not be that many posting, but look at the poll. 

326 votes total 

111 No/possibly give him until Xmas. 

It's a minority, but still a fairly sizeable one.

I think a 100% of us aren't happy watching the current performances, regardless of whether we are in/out/don't know when it comes to the manager. I Suppose it depends how much blame you lay at his door for the current state of the team and club in general. 

Personally I don't know if he will produce something good here, but I still think he could. That said, if Lerner can identify and recruit another manager who can do a better job, then I'm all for it. I'm not sure he can, but then we have Tom Fox now, maybe he's a bit more clued up? 

Edited by wazzap24
  • Like 2

Have you considered that posters may have thought it was a good result and an adequate performance, and are debating with those who maintain that it was a good performance and that the team had played well for the last 3 games.

A good point today, but he still has to go.

If a proportion of our fans still want to watch Lambert's brand of "football" that's up to them.

Me? I'll give it a miss.

• Like 2

Personally I don't know if he will produce something good here, but I still think he could. That said, if Lerner can identify and recruit another manager who can do a better job, then I'm all for it.

Agree 100%

Mind you, it'll have to be the kind of manager who can recruit a Senderos, a Richardson, a Sanchez and a Cleverley for four million pounds total spend, or we could easily be worse off (unless RL is planning a spending spree, in which case it kindof makes sense to stick with the bloke who spends wisely anyway).

• Like 2

The next game will be the crucial one. Will the players use a decent 0-0 draw away to the 2nd most in form team to put in a decent performance at home to the most in form team in the league. If it is the same old shit then I think Lambert has to go. Get a new manager in before January and see what he can do.

Â