Paul Lambert

limpid

It's a bit misleading though.

4 of them have financial might we could only dream of, spurs have London and Everton had 10 years of stability with moyes.

OK to a certain extent you're right but not completely. Arsenal and Liverpool were both there for the taking and for most of the first 4 years under Lerner we out spent Spurs and had a higher wage bill? What Everton and Spurs both had was proper football people at the helm not some silly kid from a credit card company's customer service department.

Also remember that every time Lerner has changed manager we have changed the clubs ethos! This has caused constant unrest and chaos in the club and therefore the side.

Then the one time Lerner seems to put some thought to may be consistancy is a good thing he chooses to do so with the manager with the worst record since he brought the club. Anyone would think he is trying to wreck us on purpose?

Isn't the highlighted bit the entire reason we're in this mess?  Obviously Lerner should've managed the club in a much better manner, but the whole big spending, big wages situation (in which we came 6th, 6th, 6th etc) is a big part of why we're now struggling.  Lambert has had to deal with the entirety of this situation.  He may not be a very good manager, but he's had to compete with a squad built from the transfer funds and wages of a Championship club.

It's obviously not preferable to be struggling in the league (and if we do again this season, maybe we should look to a new manager) but, given the situation, it's entirely understandable.

4 of them have financial might we could only dream of, spurs have London and Everton had 10 years of stability with moyes.

Its not really. We've been poorly run in a lot of ways. They haven't.

Weren't Everton pretty much skint at the turn of the century with fans wanting Kenwright out because he didn't spend anything?

This counter attack nonsense is starting to annoy me as well. It's not like we are even any good at it. None of our midfield are quick but Delph and Gabby is the only one with any real pace. When did we last score a good counter attack goal?

Lowton is a big miss to this system, he wasn't great at defending but he got forward and has more quality in crossing and passing than Hutton has. He put in a lot of good balls for Benteke. You can say the same on the other side with Bertrand missing.

Benteke has played one full game with those full backs, and as for Bertrand, he played about 4 games with CB and can't remember a single chance or goal he created for him.

Watching Benteke I think he prefers balls played to his feet, thigh or chest not hoofed up for to flick on the oppostions goalie? If we make more than 3 passes then we seem obliged for the 4th to be a hoof from Guzan. I've seen conference teams who pass the ball better than the current side? Yet funnily enough Delph, Westwood and Cleverley have all passed the ball sucessfully prior to playing under Lambert?

• Like 1

Weren't Everton pretty much skint at the turn of the century with fans wanting Kenwright out because he didn't spend anything?

They still are.

I remember the days when Everton and Southampton were fighting for relegation year after year, they didn't have a pot to piss in, whilst we were breaking our record transfers under Little and Gregory.

It is their turn now, and our turn to cut our clothe. Football is cycular, we will have our day again.

• Like 3

Yes correct! Those toffee fans should walk an hour in our shoes?

They'd have something to moan about then!

Yes correct! Those toffee fans should walk an hour in our shoes?

They'd have something to moan about then!

They were on the verge of not existing.  We've had 3 bad seasons.  But sure, we're definitely in a worse place.

Lambert could break another record we have NEVER gone 5 games without scoring in Premier League and last time we lost 5 in a row was 2000.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2809463/Aston-Villa-sort-goal-QPR-closing-unwanted-record-Premier-League.html

The ball could take an unfortunate bounce off Adel Taarabt’s trim-or-not torso and trickle over the line for all Paul Lambert cares.
At Loftus Road under the Monday night floodlight's, the Aston Villa manager would take an own goal as long as it meant his team ended their barren run.
The chances of Taarabt being involved are slim – certainly slimmer than his debated waistline – because the Morroco midfielder is not in Harry Rdknapp’s squad for the match. Only possible, perhaps, if he runs onto the pitch to stage an impromptu display of his physique to end all arguments. 

But you get the idea, Villa are desperate for a goal. It has been 441 minutes since Villa last scored and never before have they gone five consecutive Premier League games without finding the net.
Queens Park Rangers present an all-together more welcoming sight than Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester City and Everton of course. After a run of fixtures spewed out by a computer seemingly configured by a Birmingham fan, Lambert can take his team into a game against a team from outside last season’s top five.
Liverpool began that run, and Gabriel Agbonlahor’s winner nine minutes into that match is the last time Villa could celebrate the ball crossing an opponent’ s line.
No side has scored fewer than the four goals Villa have managed so far – even if they combined to gain 10 points. 
QPR enter this match with six goals to their name and only four points. 'There’s no doubt, I’ve got no issues with that on the goalscoring front,' Lambert said before appearing to rule out any striker signings once the winter window opens. 'I think we’ve got enough when it comes to January.’ 

Christian Benteke should start again, having managed 81 minutes in the limp defeat to Everton last weekend. But he needs time to regain his sharpness after six months out with an Achilles injury. His last goal came against Stoke City in March.
'Christian you can excuse a little as he hasn’t played for six or seven months,' Lambert said. 'It might take him half a dozen games to get up to speed - to really find his find his feet.

‘There’ll be times when you think, "Yes, he back to his old self" and others when he’ll look like someone who’s not played for a length of time.

Whilst I would agree that we have to be realistic in our expectations I do think we as supporters have a responsibility to make it known that we expect certain levels. If the supporters don’t make demands then nobody will.

This club should not be battling relegation every season but that is what has happened for the last 4 seasons and could well happen this season. Any club can have the odd season of struggle but this is now becoming deep rooted and that should never be acceptable for this club.

Crowds have dropped off dramatically since 2010 and this season especially looks like being the one where we see the average drop by 3 - 4 thousand compared to the previous season. Many supporters have clearly had enough with the team struggling and the dross served up. Even though I have continued to have a season ticket throughout I can see why some have thrown the towel in in terms of attending.

In terms of Lambert then I agree with others that tonight could well have a huge bearing in terms of how the season will pan out. A win and we have stopped the recent rot and can again be confident of staying out of trouble. A defeat and we are on a run of 5 defeats on the spin with Spurs, West Ham and Saints to follow. A defeat would also see the crowd ready to pounce on Lamberts back again if things don’t go well at VP against Spurs on Sunday. It is vital we get a result tonight.

Mate. Nail on head once again.

They still are.

I remember the days when Everton and Southampton were fighting for relegation year after year, they didn't have a pot to piss in, whilst we were breaking our record transfers under Little and Gregory.

It is their turn now, and our turn to cut our clothe. Football is cycular, we will have our day again.

We might. And its true those clubs have had bad times. I don't think football being cycular excuses the terrible performance of the club over the last few years

• Like 1

I find it hard to believe anyone is speaking up for our performance against Newcastle. It was anonymous, uncommitted and without skill or passion. The fact that Newcastle matched us in all those things is the only reason we got a draw.

Nobody has said it was great, or even good.

The lack of attacking competency was worrying.

All I said was that defensively we were sound, and because of that you can't say the entire performance was "shit".

Lambert could break another record we have NEVER gone 5 games without scoring in Premier League and last time we lost 5 in a row was 2000.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2809463/Aston-Villa-sort-goal-QPR-closing-unwanted-record-Premier-League.html

The ball could take an unfortunate bounce off Adel Taarabt’s trim-or-not torso and trickle over the line for all Paul Lambert cares.
At Loftus Road under the Monday night floodlight's, the Aston Villa manager would take an own goal as long as it meant his team ended their barren run.
The chances of Taarabt being involved are slim – certainly slimmer than his debated waistline – because the Morroco midfielder is not in Harry Rdknapp’s squad for the match. Only possible, perhaps, if he runs onto the pitch to stage an impromptu display of his physique to end all arguments. 

But you get the idea, Villa are desperate for a goal. It has been 441 minutes since Villa last scored and never before have they gone five consecutive Premier League games without finding the net.
Queens Park Rangers present an all-together more welcoming sight than Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester City and Everton of course. After a run of fixtures spewed out by a computer seemingly configured by a Birmingham fan, Lambert can take his team into a game against a team from outside last season’s top five.
Liverpool began that run, and Gabriel Agbonlahor’s winner nine minutes into that match is the last time Villa could celebrate the ball crossing an opponent’ s line.
No side has scored fewer than the four goals Villa have managed so far – even if they combined to gain 10 points. 
QPR enter this match with six goals to their name and only four points. 'There’s no doubt, I’ve got no issues with that on the goalscoring front,' Lambert said before appearing to rule out any striker signings once the winter window opens. 'I think we’ve got enough when it comes to January.’ 

Christian Benteke should start again, having managed 81 minutes in the limp defeat to Everton last weekend. But he needs time to regain his sharpness after six months out with an Achilles injury. His last goal came against Stoke City in March.
'Christian you can excuse a little as he hasn’t played for six or seven months,' Lambert said. 'It might take him half a dozen games to get up to speed - to really find his find his feet.

‘There’ll be times when you think, "Yes, he back to his old self" and others when he’ll look like someone who’s not played for a length of time.

'NEVER' you say?

Crikey. 'Never' would be pretty bad, but 'NEVER' is incredible.

And not only 'NEVER', it's 'NEVER' in the Premier League. That's far worse than just plain old 'NEVER'. To put this into perspective, I've NEVER drunk Alcohol, today.

Well paul yournon for another record tonigh skysports said if villa lose tonight its the first time since 2000 they will have lost 5games on the trot. All i wanna say is paul its over to you anymore records and you could bring your own book out.

Inb4 records are meaningless

Essentially they are though. If we don't score tonight that will be 5 games on the trot without scoring, which is an obviously a dire statistic on its own. However, the fact that it's never happened before in the Premier League really doesn't have any bearing on our current predicament. If the record was 6 games instead of 4 that wouldn't make us not scoring tonight any less bad.

Edited by Mantis

• Aston Villa have suffered four straight league defeats without scoring - the last time this happened was between December 2000 and January 2001.
  • That was also the last time Villa lost five consecutive league games, although they have never gone five games without scoring in the Premier League.

Â