Paul Lambert

limpid

Other things take precedence over the possession stats at the moment for me - I find it baffling that some people are still focusing so much on this when we haven't score for 4 games straight.

You make it sound as if the two things cannot possibly be connected in any way whatsoever. Maybe that's baffling?

Other things take precedence over the possession stats at the moment for me - I find it baffling that some people are still focusing so much on this when we haven't score for 4 games straight.

To create chances you need to have the ball?

Get outta here that's so mainstream. Surely you need the ball just for 10 seconds a game, which is enough to score a goal obviously duh. 

• Like 1

Sooooo, what we really need after our current blip of bad form then, is an opportunity to play the bottom of the league club...

And what Mr Cockney Twitchen needs is an opportunity to play 'Cuddly Aston Villa.'

27th October  interesting evening on TV. Popcorn time.

Edited by Raver50032

We need to see how we respond over some so called easier fixtures.

If we don't show more than we've shown in the past 4 games then Lambert has some serious questions to answer (if he doesn't already)

If we end up getting a good haul of points against the lesser teams then you can accept the "excuse" (seeing as that's the word people seem to use) of ourfixtures being tough.

But if we end up playing the same non expansive, awful football in those fixtures then the excuse doesn't hold up.

I'm nervous. As I can see us losing to QPR.

It wouldn't surprise me if the QPR turns out to be some sort of hard luck story. But, the next two fixtures will be straight forward defeats IMO.

Sooooo, what we really need after our current blip of bad form then, is an opportunity to play the bottom of the league club...

And what Mr Cockney Twitchen needs is an opportunity to play 'Cuddly Aston Villa.'

27th October  interesting evening on TV. Popcorn time.

I hope popcorn is a new brand of beer cos I'm going to need alcohol to watch that game!

• Like 2

Get outta here that's so mainstream. Surely you need the ball just for 10 seconds a game, which is enough to score a goal obviously duh. 

Please show me where anybody has said or even implied that.

The problem with us specifically is that having more of the ball doesn't often result in more chances or more goals - see Leyton Orient.

The lack of goals and our poor defensive form are by far the two most important things now in my view.

I agree the possession stats are concerning but still will reserve judgment until further into the season, same with the shots.

But we are 3 points better off than in the corresponding fixtures last season.

We are currently just below mid table and over the 8 games have shown mid table form.

We are as close to the top 4 as the bottom three and overall in the region of where I think we will be/should be come the end of the season.

Could the football be better? Yes. But overall I' not unhappy with how we've done over the 8 games.

Looking at tables this early doesnt tell you much. We should look at this around Christmas.

My concern is we have not got above 50% in matches because tactically we are not set up to. You cant give a quality side or any side these days in the Premier League 60% of the ball and except to keep a clean sheet. We did it a few times early and he stuck with it which is fair enough but you cant go all season winning 1-0. Senderos may return for QPR. I am curious to see if we are more 'adventurous' especially with our first choice back 4 available again.

People wouldn't be saying that if we were currently sat in the bottom three though would they.

I don't disagree re the possession and I agree the table can be misleading until Christmas. But the reason that it can be is because sides have had unbalanced fixtures yet some refuse to accept that perfectly reasonable point and prefer to dismiss it as an excuse.

It isn't an excuse it is a fact and one that should also be taken into account with regards the possession stats but often isn't.

I'm not saying things are perfect, or even particularly good but they also aren't as bad as some wish to suggest. I was just trying to provide a bit of balance because it's so frequently missing from this thread on both sides of the debate.

we have just came off playing top 5 from last season who have all spent over 25 million for a player in the summer compared to our biggest transfer fee. think context is needed. Games like QPR is what our season gets decided on

If said you can have 3 points from them 5 games, people would have bit your hand off

I agree the possession stats are concerning but still will reserve judgment until further into the season, same with the shots.

We are currently just below mid table and over the 8 games have shown mid table form.

We are as close to the top 4 as the bottom three and overall in the region of where I think we will be/should be come the end of the season.

Could the football be better? Yes. But overall I' not unhappy with how we've done over the 8 games.

Looking at tables this early doesnt tell you much. We should look at this around Christmas.

My concern is we have not got above 50% in matches because tactically we are not set up to. You cant give a quality side or any side these days in the Premier League 60% of the ball and except to keep a clean sheet. We did it a few times early and he stuck with it which is fair enough but you cant go all season winning 1-0. Senderos may return for QPR. I am curious to see if we are more 'adventurous' especially with our first choice back 4 available again.

People wouldn't be saying that if we were currently sat in the bottom three though would they.

I don't disagree re the possession and I agree the table can be misleading until Christmas. But the reason that it can be is because sides have had unbalanced fixtures yet some refuse to accept that perfectly reasonable point and prefer to dismiss it as an excuse.

It isn't an excuse it is a fact and one that should also be taken into account with regards the possession stats but often isn't.

I'm not saying things are perfect, or even particularly good but they also aren't as bad as some wish to suggest. I was just trying to provide a bit of balance because it's so frequently missing from this thread on both sides of the debate.

I agree with you that the fixtures so far have been imbalanced due to the fact 5 of the 8 games have been against last season's top 5 clubs. However, the stats point is valid based on the following:

Stoke (a) 36.9% possession / 1 shot on target.

Newcastle (h) 40.4% possession / 0 shots on target.

Hull (h) 44.9% possession / 4 shots on target.

That's an average of 40.73% possession against 3 of the league's weaker sides and, two of those fixtures were played at home.

Also, it's noticeable that the game in which we had most possession we also created the most chances.

It's also arguable that to only have a total of 5 shots on target in those 3 games is also simply not good enough.

possession to me is a useless stat, Real Madrid had 31% possession in last season Champions League semi final. Actually 4 of last 5 years in the Champions League semi finals has had a team crush the opposition in possession and not reach the final

• Like 1

More worrying for me is the fact that in 8 games we have scored 4 and concede 12. Although we have more points from like-for-like games compared with last season, our tendency from the end of last season to leak loads of goals against better sides seems to have returned.

I agree with you that the fixtures so far have been imbalanced due to the fact 5 of the 8 games have been against last season's top 5 clubs. However, the stats point is valid based on the following:

Stoke (a) 36.9% possession / 1 shot on target.

Newcastle (h) 40.4% possession / 0 shots on target.

Hull (h) 44.9% possession / 4 shots on target.

That's an average of 40.73% possession against 3 of the league's weaker sides and, two of those fixtures were played at home.

Also, it's noticeable that the game in which we had most possession we also created the most chances.

It's also arguable that to only have a total of 5 shots on target in those 3 games is also simply not good enough.

I said in my first post that the possession stats were concerning and they are for the reasons you point out and because a lot of fans want to see the side play in a way that see's us have the ball more.

I don't really argue with that even though personally I don't place quite as much importance in it as some.

I'm starting to worry about the possession stats now myself. Mostly for reasons already stated; if we're going to see less of the ball we really need to make it count when we do get hold of it and right now we look completely toothless. There's no zip to our game.

I think we have some good players. But what has become apparent is the lack of anyone to play that incisive, instant final ball, or even the long raking pass out wide to start a counter. We are playing in a way that does not suit the midfield we have, the midfield he built. It's utterly soul destroying.

What's the answer? **** if I know. But I imagine patience is the key. Start knocking it around a bit more, less panic. Build confidence.

Or maybe Joe Cole...

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 3

I'd like to see Cole start in the middle 3 for Richardson and Grealish to come on when he tires. QPRs defence is poor so we can't sit back when their weakness is their defence

Possession is not a worry when we blitz teams with quick counter attacks and rush at them with the ball.

We are not doing this AND teams have worked us out and sit two men deep, this tactic (our only one) is not working.

The other problem is we don't keep the ball and are pedestrian. Defenders get back quickly and we lose our attack.

Edited by DK82
  • Like 1

More worrying for me is the fact that in 8 games we have scored 4 and concede 12. Although we have more points from like-for-like games compared with last season, our tendency from the end of last season to leak loads of goals against better sides seems to have returned.

Conceding more goals against better sides eh? Go figure......

leak loads of goals against better sides seems to have returned.

Conceded goals against better sides?

Never!

Hmm. This is a superficially smart and witty comment I suppose but I wonder what point you are making?*

Do you think it is acceptable that we have scored only 4 goals and concede 12? That we have the 3rd worst defensive record in the premier league? 

That our record towards the end of last season was

1-4, 1-4, 1-2, 0-1, 0-0, 1-4, 3-1, 0-4, 0-3

And that, after a few matches where we looked a lot tighter in defence, we have recently logged 0-3, 0-3, 0-2, 0-3? We've even stopped scoring while we ship goals at the other end.

I'm not convinced our deteriorating goals record is so much of a joke myself.

*Edit - same question to H & V

Edited by briny_ear

Â