Paul Lambert

limpid

9 away games last season and saw us get just one point at Cardiff away.

My god, that's minging.

Football is all about ups/downs and we can't demand success. However, that's a disgraceful return on your support. What we talking? The best part of a grand.

I went to 3 games before Xmas last season. Always £100, a game for me. £200 if I miss out on my Saturday job. They were spurs in cup, Sunderland at home and manure at home. Barely saw a shot on goal from us across the 3 games.

Couple of people i know Tom are massive Villa fans come from America for 3 games last season 2 at home and 1 away (i went with them) and saw us lose twice at home and draw with Cardiff away 0-0 and not a single goal scored!! Gabby was laughing when he missed that easy chance against Cardiff but the american guy Matt who comes every season the last 3 season's has not even see us win a game and he was deverstated as was his first away game and hadn't seen us score and paid 1000's out

Another guy Daniel from Canada comes each season and he saw us lose 2 at home and then 2 away to Palace and Swansea at back end of last season and again without scoring a goal!!

I went away to Newcastle, Cardiff, Swansea, Spurs, Stoke, Palace, Fulham, Everton and Man Utd and only saw us draw at Cardiff so thought enough is enough home and away this season!!!

Jesus, they must have been grim flights back. It's a shame as I look forward to them like they are all my first game. I went something like seeing 2 losses in 30 games and I was almost in disbelief when wed lose.

Ever since that cup game v Bolton under mcleish It's been pretty much woeful when I have gone. Was at the stoke/lowton game, which was amazing but other than that, it's been about 630 minutes of me shaking my head and cringing.

It's not as if were referencing the same games here so it's not just a coincidence. And 1 point from any 9 away games is shocking but from that set of away games, it's embarrassing.

Edited by Woodytom

After almost 2 years of sticking up for him, minus the odd angry blip, I feel like he's let me down personally again. Because that simply wasn't good enough.

Same here mate.

I know we were playing tough opposition and that should be taken into account, but Everton were hardly "on it" today. They didn't need to be. Where was the verve and the fight we saw early on this season? No matter who the players, no matter who the staff around him, whether home or away, he seemingly CANNOT pull consistent performances from his team. It's so frustrating and so painful to watch at times.

Tell you where it was Doug, it's gone! It's OK people saying that we were expected to lose those last 3 games but, when you get beaten soundly, without looking like any kind of threat, it must have knocked the players confidence.

It'll take another win before those lads get any confidence back and unless it comes against QPR I can't see us doing anything in the following 2 games either.

• Like 1

We've had so many excuses, lack of quality, lack of depth, lack of experience, injuries and so on.

At what point do we just say 'someone else could do better?'

Have to agree.

Lambert's had it tough but he has to take responsibility as well. He's not been good enough and I'm not sure he's capable of better.

• Like 1

There was a period under Lambert where I felt we looked like scoring no matter who we played, we feel so far removed from that now.

Without searching for the results to check I seem to recall Norwich were fairly free scoring and attacking under him as well?

Now his philosophy appears to be this siege mentality of letting the opponent control the game, currently have the lowest average possession in the league at 38.6% and third lowest last season at 44.9%, and hoping to snatch a goal on the break which I just can't see as conducive strategy to any long-term success or progression of the club.

• Like 3

I'm not sure how much another manager would do but I know Lambert will keep us up. The question is are we better than just about staying up? Based on our budget for past 3 seasons I'd say probably not.

You know Lambert will keep us up?

I don't, and if we do it will be in spite of him and not because of him.

Last season against Palace we were utterly woeful and in free-fall. His tactics were shed and we were soundly beaten by a terrible side. He was out-noused by Pulis.

We've had so many excuses, lack of quality, lack of depth, lack of experience, injuries and so on.

I think lack of depth, lack of experience and lack of overall quality could have been leveled at us over the last couple of years but for me not this season. We now have a decent squad of players with a fair amount of experience.

Injuries are unfortunately part and parcel of the game. You look at our starting line up today and we had two players who had they been fit would have started in Senderos and Delph.

For me the squad is good enough to achieve a 10th - 12th place finish but I am now becoming worried that we could be looking at another relegation battle. Given the level of opposition I guess having conceded 10 goals in the last 4 games was not unexpected but we have created very little in those four games and once going behind have looked nothing better than lambs waiting to be slaughtered.

We need to get back to looking more solid at the back and to start creating chances and putting a few away something we haven't done at all this season. If both of those happen we will be fine. If one happens we will at least have a fighting chance. If both fail to materialize we will be in deep, deep shit again.

• Like 1

There was a period under Lambert where I felt we looked like scoring no matter who we played, we feel so far removed from that now.

Without searching for the results to check I seem to recall Norwich were fairly free scoring and attacking under him as well?

Now his philosophy appears to be this siege mentality of letting the opponent control the game, currently have the lowest average possession in the league at 38.6% and third lowest last season at 44.9%, and hoping to snatch a goal on the break which I just can't see as conducive strategy to any long-term success or progression of the club.

Yes, I remember thinking we could take any team - it was around the time we beat Sunderland 6-1, wasn't it?

And to add, his Norwich team were quite attacking, sometimes gung-ho!

• Like 1

I think lack of depth, lack of experience and lack of overall quality could have been leveled at us over the last couple of years but for me not this season. We now have a decent squad of players with a fair amount of experience.

Injuries are unfortunately part and parcel of the game. You look at our starting line up today and we had two players who had they been fit would have started in Senderos and Delph.

For me the squad is good enough to achieve a 10th - 12th place finish but I am now becoming worried that we could be looking at another relegation battle. Given the level of opposition I guess having conceded 10 goals in the last 4 games was not unexpected but we have created very little in those four games and once going behind have looked nothing better than lambs waiting to be slaughtered.

We need to get back to looking more solid at the back and to start creating chances and putting a few away something we haven't done at all this season. If both of those happen we will be fine. If one happens we will at least have a fighting chance. If both fail to materialize we will be in deep, deep shit again.

I've been looking forward to your view on this, once again I agree with what you say. Not that I enjoy this - I **** hate it, I wish you/I/others were wrong. This is not enjoyable, I was not brought up on Aston Villa being this.

Shhhhhhhh.......

The 'Possession is meaningless' police will come and get you.

• Like 1

I'm not sure how much another manager would do but I know Lambert will keep us up. The question is are we better than just about staying up? Based on our budget for past 3 seasons I'd say probably not.

You know Lambert will keep us up?

I don't, and if we do it will be in spite of him and not because of him.

Last season against Palace we were utterly woeful and in free-fall. His tactics were shed and we were soundly beaten by a terrible side. He was out-noused by Pulis.

We will never know if staying up is because of him or in spite of him. Unfortunately I don't think we'll find out while Lerner is in charge.

After reading he's match report, iim really pissed off with he's comment about having the players on the pitch who can score goals, he lists gabby (less than 10 goals in the last 2 seasons) cleverley (2 goals in 3 seasons) and n'zogbia ( 5 goals since he signed for us)

But putting there shit goal scoring records aside, how do you expect them to score Paul when you tactics are only based around hitting long balls on the counter attack and hoping benteke can produce something out of nothing?

• Like 3

We look like the side from the last part of last season now. Still can't belive how much Everton dominated us. Looked like a premiership team vs a league 2 team in large parts. That contract extension look so dumb now.

I don't feel like Lambert is the man to take the club forward. Reminds me of Sam Allardyce atm, fear it will be yet another depressing relegation battle season. :(

This performance was horrible.

This football club Everton with Bill Kenwright as owner, is totally out flanked financially by our owner...who was in the crowd.

Who seems to be getting the better return.

As hypothetical as it is....I would loved to have spoken to Paul Lambert & Roy Keane about that performance.

They may have the knowledge of the football industry....which I don't have....but I would like to have given them the opinion of a supporter, even thought I am an just an individual..

These guys are earning serious money....It might be good to explain that debacle, because the amount of times our players give the ball to the opposition, should raise serious questions. The lightweight approach in a challenge should raise another.

To say we can't score would be right.....but there are loads of problems leading up before that.

• Like 1

"We're coming in next week and we go again. You don't let it manifest, you pick them up. We'll try and win the next game..."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11677/9523221/premier-league-paul-lambert-has-no-excuses-after-aston-villa-loss

I'm pretty angry about that performance, but to be fair to Lambert, he says plenty in his post-match comments that suggests he realises that wasn't good enough. I think at this point it's clear that "we go again" is just something that he says, a verbal tic if you like. More unusually harsh comments include "poor goals at bad times", "we didn't deserve anything", "we had to be better and we weren't". For Lambert, I actually think those are pretty damning comments and you would hope he was pretty pissed off in the dressing room. 

Whether he's able to raise them for the vital game next week is another matter. I remember in his first season, when we were still down at the bottom, the game against QPR at Loftus Road was instrumental in saving us. It was a must-win, and he was able to get us there and get a result. We desperately need that again this time. 

Â