Paul Lambert

limpid

My post was addressed to no one in particular but I see its aroused a little bit of passion from some.

Probably because it's pathetic to accuse fellow fans of being "sheep" just because they're content with a 0-0 draw against a decent team while our two best strikers are out.

Not saying that I agree with the OP but, Newcastle also had their best striker out and we were the home side - without a shot on target.

Did they?

I'm assuming he means Papiss '10 goals in his last 60 league games' Cisse. Hardly their best striker but that doesn't fit with the narrative that we only kept a clean sheet because of who they were missing.

Yes, I meant Cisse. Say what you want about his recent strike rate, he would have still posed more of a threat than Riviere.

To add to my last post, I was not in any way saying we weren't good defensively. In fact, we were outstanding. I was merely backing up the point of another poster that they were missing their best striker.

For the record, I am thrilled with our defensive look. My only concern is our attacking threat. I am sure the stat of having no shots on target in our first home would reinforce that.

Cisse is not Newcastle's best striker, and he certainly isn't anywhere near as important to Newcastle as Benteke is to us.

I didn't suggest he was!

I'm happy with a draw and clean sheet. It's the first clean sheet against Newcastle since 2011.

I see progress, last year we weren't scoring and we were leaking goals on top of that. Goals should hopefully start coming this season but a more stable defence is key to being comfortable this year.

That formation was too negative against an average side, at home. I don't fault the players they carried it out well but to me it exposes a manager shell shocked from last season.

We will not keep winning away and simply have to be more attacking at home.

• Like 1

It's an improvement, just not as much of an improvement as some would've hoped.

I'm not sure how people could have realistically hoped for more having spent £7m which is a quarter of what Everton spent on one player this summer.

I agree Trent, that's why I said some rather than I.
  • Like 1

"We had chances"

Mmm no we didn't Paul.

Don't treat us like mugs.

Well done on the clean sheets but don't swerve the attacking problem with generic bull shit comments like "we were excellent" "we created chances" and "all we needed was a finishing touch".

None of those are true.

"We had chances"

Mmm no we didn't Paul.

Well done on the clean sheets but don't swerve the attacking problem with generic bull shit comments like "we were excellent" "we created chances" and "all we needed was a finishing touch".

None of those are true.

...sadly, you're right.

Yes I'm not sure that 'the ball was crossed a few times" can constitute a chance, although there was the free kick and a vague header or two.

Would prefer him to say "its all about solidity for now' or similar,at least you would know he is seeing it right.

"We had chances"

Mmm no we didn't Paul.

None of those are true.

Not that I think we were amazing going forward but we did have chances and did create stuff - we just don't have any decent strikers fit at the moment.

I had a real downer on PL, but his summers work in very difficult circumstances is excellent so far. Perhaps there is a good manager in there after all. If he can crack the possession and creating chances, with Benteke and Kojak back we could be a surprise this season.

Noted he said this evening that Vlaar is going nowhere, even running his contract down won't alter that.

• Like 2

"We had chances"

Mmm no we didn't Paul.

None of those are true.

Not that I think we were amazing going forward but we did have chances and did create stuff - we just don't have any decent strikers fit at the moment.

We had two fit strikers on the pitch. Neither got in the right position, at the right time, to make the required impact.

I'm disappointed in lambert today for not setting up differently, we shouldn't be set up the same at home as we are away, away it works (sometimes) but he's not going to win over the fans playing like this at home

Maybe once all personnel are fit and available he'll mix it up more

I'm disappointed in lambert today for not setting up differently, we shouldn't be set up the same at home as we are away, away it works (sometimes) but he's not going to win over the fans playing like this at home

Maybe once all personnel are fit and available he'll mix it up more

He is probably just so scared of losing. I thought the way we set up was ok if we looked for that final ball to full backs more. Hutton and Cissokho were always in acres but the wrong pass kept being made.

"We had chances"

Mmm no we didn't Paul.

None of those are true.

We had two fit strikers on the pitch. Neither got in the right position, at the right time, to make the required impact.

Exactly . probably why Mantis used the word "decent" .

• Like 4

Â