Paul Lambert

limpid

I have no real problem with Lambert getting us to finish 15. I don't think, especially with our injury list we should expect more of him under these constraints, but the way he attempts to play the game is not for me. We are a long ball team under him I'm fed up of this type of football we've been playing it for over 8 years other than a few months under Houllier.

I think the with the size and quality of the Villa park pitch...to be successful there we need to play football on it.

Exactly... long ball fatigue has well and truly set in.

• Like 1

I have no real problem with Lambert getting us to finish 15. I don't think, especially with our injury list we should expect more of him under these constraints, but the way he attempts to play the game is not for me. We are a long ball team under him I'm fed up of this type of football we've been playing it for over 8 years other than a few months under Houllier.

I think the with the size and quality of the Villa park pitch...to be successful there we need to play football on it.

Sitting on the pot fatique has set in. :P

Won't happen if Gabby continues to be accomodated

In my opinion, Lambert has actually increased his status in the league. 

He shouldn't have a problem getting a better job then. Let's see who turns out right.

Wouldn't say better because that is not what I was referring to. I am saying that Lambert did the smarter choice by choosing to come here instead of staying at Norwich. If he stayed at Norwich, I doubt we'd see him as a clear premier league manager. Now even if he leaves here, I could see some clubs asking for him. 

“We only ever speak about the games,” he said.

“It’s always been ‘how was the game?’ and ‘is everything all right?’ ‘no problem’. - Lambert about Lerner

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-paul-lambert-insists-7099920

That quote pisses me off so much.

Lots of interest on show from Lerner then.

• Like 1

To be fair, I think he's just trying to get results to keep us up. When we want to play we pass it around lovely. With better players I think you would see more attractive style under lambert.

• Like 1

The only thing that goes in his favour is the fact he has never played this way as a manager before. It could be he knew how shit the defence was and he tried to play defensive to stop us getting battered again, Everything points to the fact that this and last year was about survival and getting the finances straight, even the comment from RL backs this up. I just hope that this summer sparks the end of this period and we can start moving in an upward direction with a new owner or with RL and more investment. I still think he is staying but will be looking for an investor.

Genuinely think some of you are going to be in for a real shock if you think that there is actually a manager out there that could do much better than Lambert has given the injuries and suffocating restraints he has had to work under.

Steve Bruce and Mark Hughes say hi !

Both have done better and spent much less (Bruce got Hull promoted and safe in the Premier League and spent £32M in two years compared to £40M spent by lambert in the same period, Hughes signed 7 players and spent £7M at Stoke in his first season)

points total isn't that much different tbf

You've kind of missed the point, Bruce spent less and took a team from the championship into the premier league and they finished above us.

Hughes spent £7M on 7 players, completely changed Stokes style of play and finished comfortably above us.

The original poster was suggesting that financial constraints had held Lambett back and that no manager could have done better given the circumstances, these two managers archived considerably more in tougher circumstances.

Have hull finished above us?

To be fair, I think he's just trying to get results to keep us up. When we want to play we pass it around lovely. With better players I think you would see more attractive style under lambert.

So will 3 "quality" players be enough? Or will he still be only "getting results" with them? 4 players enough? 5?

There is something very wrong with the philosophy of "we can't do it so we won't try till we can". It basically means until he has an X size budget or a Y quality squad, we remain in limbo - never improving and forever flirting with relegation.

Genuinely think some of you are going to be in for a real shock if you think that there is actually a manager out there that could do much better than Lambert has given the injuries and suffocating restraints he has had to work under.

Both have done better and spent much less (Bruce got Hull promoted and safe in the Premier League and spent £32M in two years compared to £40M spent by lambert in the same period, Hughes signed 7 players and spent £7M at Stoke in his first season)

You've kind of missed the point, Bruce spent less and took a team from the championship into the premier league and they finished above us.

Hughes spent £7M on 7 players, completely changed Stokes style of play and finished comfortably above us.

The original poster was suggesting that financial constraints had held Lambett back and that no manager could have done better given the circumstances, these two managers archived considerably more in tougher circumstances.

I wasn't suggesting that no manager could have done better. I was suggesting that no manager available at present, who is likely to want to come in and work under the same constraints, could have done much better.

Edited by sexbelowsound
  • Like 1

Wouldn't say better because that is not what I was referring to. I am saying that Lambert did the smarter choice by choosing to come here instead of staying at Norwich. If he stayed at Norwich, I doubt we'd see him as a clear premier league manager. Now even if he leaves here, I could see some clubs asking for him.

Really? I think the complete opposite. If you could name the PL clubs where 'Lambert' has enhanced his reputation and would take him as their next manager I'd be genuinely interested. 

Let's imagine all the chairmen/CEOs turned up to their home games v Villa. Which ones would have been bowled over by Lambert's progressive style?

The only club in the PL I could see going for him is Newcastle because their owner is an idiot.

• Like 1

After tomorrows game it will be 1 win in 9 games I believe.

Lambert has to go - the results, the football style, the lack of the plan, the failure to learn and get the team even doing the basics right after 2 years.

Lambert out.

Edited by Brumstopdogs

Ah, the old "luck" argument. Just remember that it works both ways.

True - how many times (and before anyone makes a sarcastic comment about the season or two) have we dominated or played really well and the other team grabs a late goal or get lucky - but let's forget that shall we - it's oh so simple - when we do it both ways (play well and lose or play crap and win) it's Villa are  lucky (when win)  and shit (when lose) - manager is this that and the other - couldn't beat so and so cos in their eyes that team are crap and we should be beating them - football DOES NOT work that way - never has done - never will. But then I actually don't play FM or pretend at being a qualified professional coach who knows football and how easy it is to beat 'smaller' teams.

Just my opinion - blast away if you wish cos I know **** all about football.

It would be good to see us get a positive result tomorrow. Another heavy defeat and he will spend his last minutes on the touch line as Aston Villa manger listening to the fans chanting for his removal. Not what any of us envisaged when the opposite was happening at Carrow Road two years ago. Genuine shame how things have panned out. I believe though that he has done his best its just that sadly his best was simply not good enough. I'll wish him well.

Edited by markavfc40

So did Lambert with Norwich before he joined us - so what's your point ? Bruce did it ONCE (didn't do it with SHA when he brought them from the Championship). 

Long ball, short ball, passing non passing ............but for me his biggest problem has been his inability to construct a defence that is anything approaching 'tight'  - which I believe is the basis for any team - you can't build on a leaky defence.

Â