Paul Lambert

limpid

I'm neither really here nor there with Lambert,if we are taken over wouldn't mind giving him a season with a bit more to spend.And clearly Lamberts remit has been different to McLeish.

Interesting. What do you think McLeish's "remit" was?

It's widely reported PL was told to get the wages down.From McLeish's signings I would presume he was not.Probably should've worded it better.

my first post so be gentle with me!!!!

i'm more agnostic on lambert.i can see both sides of the debate.my feelings on it are that if randy's still here next season then lambert is probably the best person to have as another manager would want a different squad and we probably will not have the finances to change to what he would wish.if there is a takeover then i would go for a new manager as i feel it's better if they have their man in charge,a new start all round if you wish.my concern is the culverhouse/karva situation.lambert is ultimately responsible as they're his guys,but that's just my opinion.it just depends on what actually happened and for how long it went on.my major frustration with lambert is that the football we played at the end of last season and beginning or this seems to have disappeared.if we'd carried on with that style of play then maybe there would'nt be as many people unwilling to give him a further chance.i have to be honest though having seen the glory days of the 70/80's and remembering ellis in 78(i think),trying to oust lord ron of aston,i don't like changing managers after every bad season or 2.old age i guess  :D

McLeish season:

16 shim.gif Aston Villa 38 7 17 14 37 53 -16 38

Lamberts first season:

15 shim.gif Aston Villa 38 10 11 17 47 69 -22 41

This season:

14 shim.gif Aston Villa 36 10 8 18 39 54 -15 38

Make of it what you wan't, no doubt one can find "proof" to support whatever point you wan't to make.

The fact is that Lamber needs a good result in the last 2 games to not be worse than last season on points.

Losing the last 2 games would mean we end up on equal points as the McLeish season but on worse goal difference

Edited by sne

I heard or read somewhere that Culverhouse was angling for Lamberts job.  There was a supposed incident in Feb when Lambert turned to him in a game to discuss about making subs and he totally blanked him. 

McLeish season:

Lamberts first season:

This season:

Make of it what you wan't, no doubt one can find "proof" to support whatever point you wan't to make.

The fact is that Lamber needs a good result in the last 2 games to not be worse than last season on points.

Losing the last 2 games would mean we end up on equal points as the McLeish season but on worse goal difference

Therefore Lambert = McLeish in terms of overall performance.

I think we need a change of manager if we get a new owner but I can't see why we are comparing Lambert to McLeish when the squads were hugely different. It would be interesting to see how Lambert would do with a defence including Dunne and Collins, as well as Bent who at the time seemed to care more. Granted the squad wasn't great under McLeish but he really tried his hardest to take us down that season.

Not making huge excuses for Lambert as the football has been dire this season, and we have gone backwards since last season, but McLeish was turd and will always be the worst manager we've had under Lerner's ownership.

McLeish season:

Lamberts first season:

This season:

Well that's how i see it too, but im sure one could argue that losing Benteke to injury was a bigger loss to Lambert than losing Petrov was to McLeish and so on...

I see only minute details setting them apart and I don't rate any of them.

I think we need a change of manager if we get a new owner but I can't see why we are comparing Lambert to McLeish when the squads were hugely different. It would be interesting to see how Lambert would do with a defence including Dunne and Collins, as well as Bent who at the time seemed to care more. Granted the squad wasn't great under McLeish but he really tried his hardest to take us down that season.

Not making huge excuses for Lambert as the football has been dire this season, and we have gone backwards since last season, but McLeish was turd and will always be the worst manager we've had under Lerner's ownership.

Statistically, our worst manager ever, not just under Lerner.

McLeish season:

Lamberts first season:

This season:

Well no not at all.

We win more, lose more and draw a lot less than under McLeish.

So clearly Lambert doesn't equal McLeish. McLeish set the team up not to get beaten and on the whole had "better" (more expensive higher paid) players at his disposal than Lambert. Lambert sets the team up to try and win but is less effective at shutting other teams down than McLeish was.

• Like 1

I want Lambert to go, but, unlike most of you I think the players are allright.What I think is the problem with the squad is that we have no experience at all ( Lambert got rid of the spine of the team ) I think our lot would be ok with a few old heads to guide them on and off the pitch.

Apparently Walsall may look to Lambert if they sack Smith

I think Lambert would be okay in League 1. Just about his level of ability and he likes to sign players from that sort of level.

Statistically, our worst manager ever, not just under Lerner.

Ever! Is this correct?

Considering that we have been relegated, and have had some awful managers, bad as McLeish was, I find this hard to believe.

Even Lambert has broken quite a few unwanted records in his time here.

I want Lambert to go, but, unlike most of you I think the players are allright.What I think is the problem with the squad is that we have no experience at all ( Lambert got rid of the spine of the team ) I think our lot would be ok with a few old heads to guide them on and off the pitch.

What sodding spine. Honestly people need a reality check if they think he had a decent spine when he walked in.

Â