Paul Lambert

limpid

Yes, but we've already had the slag off MON thread.

We all know he wasted a lot of money.

Mark Hughes spent £6.2M at Stoke signing and signed 6 players, yet he has managed to change their style of play and get them up the table.

Don't really want to get into this, but Stoke had a solid base to build from we didn't, I ain't defending Lambert as he is doing a piss poor job and his tactics have a lot to be desired, however on the budget, his budget to build a squad wasn't enough. Stoke had the likes of Shawcross, Begovic, Crouch, N'Zonzi, Huth. I'd take take any of those players in our team.

Ok, well Steve Bruce got Hull CIty promoted and comfortably kept them in the PL and spent £32M in the two years.

The timing of this leak is very interesting, as far as i remember Charlie Nicholas has never really been the font of all knowledge when it comes to Villa, so it's odd that he should come our and be so vocal at this time when Lambert is feeling a bit of heat.

If we take aside the transfers out, lambert has signed 7 players for the first team squad in 2013 - 2104 (for £17.5M), and 9 players in 2012 - 2013 (for £24.5M). These figures from www.transfermarkt.co.uk don't include the 3 loan signings. I don't see how having practically bought a new squad anyone can say that he hasn't been backed, he has spent £42M !

Of the players he signed in 2012 - 2013, 4 are what you might call first choice (Guzan, Vlaar, Westwood and Benteke).

Of the players he signed in 2013 - 2014, only 1 player (Bacuna) has been a first team regular (if we're generous then you can also add Okore, who admittedly looked pretty good before his injury).

That is a shocking waste of money, 16 players signed, and only 6 of them have had a decent impact on the first team. Lambert knew his budget each year, and he knew the players that were needed, yet he failed to work within his budget to shape the team into something that could have gone somewhere.

His performance in Transfers (Benteke apart) is poor. he could well have signed 4 or 5 better players and used the U21's to fill out the squad rather than sign so many poor players that have not made any difference. he could perhaps have gotten Barry, had he not signed Kozak. 

Lambert is responsible for the key area's here, Buying Players, Coaching Players, And telling them how he wants them to play, and on all three of those i think he's failed.

Comparison MON spent 50 Million plus on building a defence but we expect a manager to build a capable Premier League squad for less.

Cuellar 7.8million

Dunne 6million

Collins 5million

Shorey 4.5million

L.Young 6.5million

Davies 10million

Warnock 8million

Knight 4.5million

Beye 2.5million

Yes, but we've already had the slag off MON thread.

We all know he wasted a lot of money.

Mark Hughes spent £6.2M at Stoke signing and signed 6 players, yet he has managed to change their style of play and get them up the table.

Don't really want to get into this, but Stoke had a solid base to build from we didn't, I ain't defending Lambert as he is doing a piss poor job and his tactics have a lot to be desired, however on the budget, his budget to build a squad wasn't enough. Stoke had the likes of Shawcross, Begovic, Crouch, N'Zonzi, Huth. I'd take take any of those players in our team.

Crouch? :unsure:

Well this is a thread about Paul Lambert and how well he's doing as manager of the club.

MON seems rather irrelevant to that, since he he hasn't actually been at the club for 4 years and I'm pretty sure didn't help Lambert choose his squad, team sheets or tactics

Please, Lambert supporters, don't start flooding us with all that dreary "MON was rubbish" stuff.

Edited by briny_ear

'Lambert supporters'. Categorising people into groups when we're all villa fans isn't really helping to not cause arguments is it?

To be fair though, how else can he address them? How could he have worded it better?

Jeez, things must be really bad for Lambert if his apologists are falling back on the slag off MON line.

Where did I slag him off? a comparison of budgets or is that not alllowed on here.

Saying MON spent more on the Defence by £10m or so than Lambert has spent on a whole squad, obviously means you are a Lambert apologist and MON hater ;)

• Like 1

'Lambert supporters'. Categorising people into groups when we're all villa fans isn't really helping to not cause arguments is it?

To be fair though, how else can he address them? How could he have worded it better?

By possibly not just lumping anyone who doesn't agree in a group, ridiculing that group, instead of picking up on the actual points being made and having something to say about them?

Ha ha, if you think I'm the first person on this thread to categorise people then I think you haven't been paying attention. The fire's already raging, I didn't just light a match!

The poster in question also called people who support lambert as 'apologists' so I'm fairly sure he knows what he's doing

Putting it into groups like that makes it look like there is only 2 sides. When, in reality, there are a number of potential viewpoints.

I saw them called 'lambertites' in here not long ago. It just breeds angst and arguments IMO.

• Like 1

It's a bit like labelling you an armchair supporter, you didn't like it at the time but now seem to be condoning other supporters to be labelled with a tag.

By possibly not just lumping anyone who doesn't agree in a group, ridiculing that group, instead of picking up on the actual points being made and having something to say about them?

It was far from ridiculing. His point was that it is pointless comparing the budgets of MON and Lambert. We all know that MON had a far bigger budget which is why we expected him to challenge for 4th while Lambert obviously isn't. I agree with Blandy by the way, I fail to see how it has any relevance to Lambert's record here.

Edited by Isa

picking up on the actual points being made and having something to say about them?

Ahem...

Well this is a thread about Paul Lambert and how well he's doing as manager of the club.

MON seems rather irrelevant to that, since he he hasn't actually been at the club for 4 years and I'm pretty sure didn't help Lambert choose his squad, team sheets or tactics

Yeh, I've got all that stuff as well

Edited by briny_ear

It doesn't matter who supports Lambert and who doesn't the fact of the matter is the team he has assembled are as much good as a fish tank with a leak!!!!  When you go to watch Villa its same same old pass it back, pass it sideways, no creativity, no long shots, hoof it here, hoof it there, if in doubt wonder around like headless chickens and when things get to desperation point bring on JORDAN BOWERY (minus the wheel chair)!!!!!!!  I for one do not want to part with my hard earned cash to watch that any more, i would rather buy a fleshlight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

• Like 1

The poster in question also called people who support lambert as 'apologists' so I'm fairly sure he knows what he's doing

Putting it into groups like that makes it look like there is only 2 sides. When, in reality, there are a number of potential viewpoints.

I saw them called 'lambertites' in here not long ago. It just breeds angst and arguments IMO.

"Lambert supporters" isn't in that category though, surely?  Some people do quite clearly support him.  It's not calling them names though, and they're perfectly entitled to that view.

"Lambert supporters" isn't in that category though, surely?  Some people do quite clearly support him.  It's not calling them names though, and they're perfectly entitled to that view.

A category to have a pop at, yes thats it.

Â