Paul Lambert

limpid

So our squad is abysmal but if we got a new manager, he'd be able to coach them and bring in tactics that would see us higher than the 13th position we currently sit in?

I see.

It would seem you don't.

I think a better manager could improve the current squad but he would need money to replace a lot of the shit Lambert has filled the squad with.

If a better manager had come in instead of Lambert with the same restrictions I think things could have been better.

I think your point about 'if' we had chose a different manager is a fair point, none of know how it would have gone but of course somebody else may have done a better job.

However, your first point is basically indicating yet another rebuild job, in which case I really don't think we'd be aiming any higher than we are in the next couple of seasons unless a significant amount of money was invested.

Haha

Simple question really.

You defend Lambert with the financial restrictions so have you had a problem with them? Because I'm sure you've defended Lerner and the financial approach many times.

Unlike some I don't see things in black and white so yes while I have defended the restrictions to an extent in the past I also think that Lerner should perhaps not be so extreme with them.

So you defend the restrictions to defend Lerner and used them as an excuse to defend Lambert.

Perfect.

should we finish in the position we are in now or higher, I'll be happy with the outcome of the season based on all factors to be taken into account.

Pointless debate then. You've admitted you'll be happy with a record breaking shit season. If that's the case I'm not surprised you're so behind an awful manager.

Well its a pointless debate anyway considering he isn't going anywhere. I'll be happy with the outcome of the season based on all of the factors that are to be taken into account. I've lowered my expectations since the days of MON and mass expenditure, you should do the same, might cheer you up a bit pal.

• Like 1

should we finish in the position we are in now or higher, I'll be happy with the outcome of the season based on all factors to be taken into account.

Pointless debate then. You've admitted you'll be happy with a record breaking shit season. If that's the case I'm not surprised you're so behind an awful manager.

Well its a pointless debate anyway considering he isn't going anywhere. I'll be happy with the outcome of the season based on all of the factors that are to be taken into account. I've lowered my expectations since the days of MON and mass expenditure, you should do the same, might cheer you up a bit pal.

I don't know how I could lower my expectations to a level that losing nearly 50% of the time would make me happy.

None of knows who the next manager would be, or how he would fare.  What IS clear to see though, are the results and style of play under Lambert.  And in my opinion they're both terrible with no improvement.  His football is style is old style, meat and two veg basic, and I don't want him at our club.  Even if he's given more money next season, he won't be able to coach the squad into a top half side, he just isn't good enough.

My thoughts too.

I could never sit and watch non villa games. Now I enjoy them far more. Watching Villa has become a chore, insipid and horrible.

Saturday 3pm and we probably had around 30,000 villa fans.

Many are starting to think the same.

I want Lambert out at the end of the season. For every Chelsea game there is a Stoke and a Fulham and many others like it. 

Ok, we can all agree that he hasn't got a massive budget but the players he is buying are generally poor (Sylla, Bennett, Luna, Helenius, Tonev, Bowery to name a few) and the decent players at the club already and the few he has brought, he can't seem to get the best out of on a regular basis. We need a manager who can wring the most out of what is now a very limited squad. 

• Like 2

Isn't it a bit hopeful thinking that Faulkner's going to turn up some tactical mastermind with the ability to get this parade of rubbish into the top half of the table? It's not like our recent track record fills you with confidence. 

• Like 2

Isn't it a bit hopeful thinking that Faulkner's going to turn up some tactical mastermind with the ability to get this parade of rubbish into the top half of the table? It's not like our recent track record fills you with confidence.

Again, that is not an argument for keeping Lambert.

• Like 2

Haha

Simple question really.

You defend Lambert with the financial restrictions so have you had a problem with them? Because I'm sure you've defended Lerner and the financial approach many times.

Unlike some I don't see things in black and white so yes while I have defended the restrictions to an extent in the past I also think that Lerner should perhaps not be so extreme with them.

So you defend the restrictions to defend Lerner and used them as an excuse to defend Lambert.

Perfect.

That isn't what I said.

Managers have differing abilities, Moyes did a job at Everton but they have improved under Martinez, Fergusons record at Man Utd looks even more impressive now that Moyes has taken the helm there. We could go either way should we remove Lambert but I cannot face another season of the crap which has been served up at VP.

• Like 1

Again, that is not an argument for keeping Lambert.

No, you're right, not really. It was more intended as a reality check for those who seem to think the club hierarchy are going to accidentally stumble over the next Alex Ferguson when their last three appointments were Houllier, McLeish and Lambert. Face it, whoever comes in next will be in exactly the same league. We're not attracting big talent with the constraints we're operating under. That's not to say he can't be sacked - even if nothing changes, it would at least freshen up the conversation round here!

None of knows who the next manager would be, or how he would fare.  What IS clear to see though, are the results and style of play under Lambert.  And in my opinion they're both terrible with no improvement.  His football is style is old style, meat and two veg basic, and I don't want him at our club.  Even if he's given more money next season, he won't be able to coach the squad into a top half side, he just isn't good enough.

Lambert will be staying unless Lerner sells (and that is unlikely to be happening soon). I think is for the best to get behind the team rather than feeling miserable and bitter. 

• Like 1

Having had a ponder today I think these are the pros and cons of Lambert's nearly two seasons at charge at the Villa:-

Pros

He isn't Alex Mcleish

He was a fairly popular choice and widely seen alongside Rodgers and Martinez as the next Bright Young Thing

It is quite refreshing for a british manager to be given a chance at a biggish club

Has said some nice things about the Villa

He has probably kept us up for 2 seasons with a limited budget

Some of his signings have worked- Benteke, Westwood,Bacuna, Vlaar

He re-signed Guzan

6-1 v Sunderland

We have been quite good away from Villa Park

Us beating Arsenal, Chelsea and Man City this year

The banter with Pat Murphy

He isn't Alex Mcleish

Umm that's about it

Cons

A truly awful run last winter- 0-8,0-4,0-3

Bradford over 2 legs

Milwall

Sheffield United at home

Our home record over nearly 2 season- we could lose over 20 games in 38 matches. Terrible

About 20% of games are good performances, 80% have been dire

Scatter gun transfer policy and many players are just not good enough- why not get quality players on loan instead a la Everton?

Nathan Baker

Joe Bennett (still remember him getting toasted at Valley Parade versus a league two side)

Lack of tactics over than aimless possession and hoof ball at home, and counter attack away from home

Falling out with the local media is never a good idea

Can't organise a defence

Overall it has been a very disappointing 2 seasons at the helm although the first season was hard for any manager taking over from TSM. But I really expected some improvements this year and after yesterday's joke of a peformance it looks like he has run out of ideas already and next season bar major investment upstairs will be just more of the same.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 2

Lambert will be staying unless Lerner sells (and that is unlikely to be happening soon). I think is for the best to get behind the team rather than feeling miserable and bitter. 

I don't think there are many of us who aren't behind the team, it's the manager we don't support.

• Like 2

I don't think there are many of us who aren't behind the team, it's the manager we don't support.

Exactly.  Gentleman also seems to have changed his mind as I'm sure he said he was certain Lerner was going to sell this summer.

• Like 1

Just support the team and take whatever happens on the pitch in good spirits. This club has overcome worst than what we are currently witnessing, and has gone on to prosper and achieve.

Â