Paul Lambert

limpid

I doubt any will use this injury as an excuse if we don't secure the points to push us up to last seasons total

I'll be very surprised if some don't.

I'll be even more surprised if they are not jumped on for using it.

I'm not exactly pro-Lambert - too many concerns for me - but I can admit that losing (arguably) your best player would have a big effect on any side. Consider Liverplop without Suarez, ManUre without Rooney or spuds without Bale......

... wait. Scrap the spuds one ;-)

We've had him for most of the season though. Losing him for the last seven games shouldn't be an excuse for us not at least averaging the point per game needed to match last season's total. Under McLeish we lost Bent, Dunne and then Petrov to leukemia. This didn't change the fact that finishing 16th with 38 points wasn't good enough.

Edited by Isa

I doubt any will use this injury as an excuse if we don't secure the points to push us up to last seasons total

I'm not exactly pro-Lambert - too many concerns for me - but I can admit that losing (arguably) your best player would have a big effect on any side. Consider Liverplop without Suarez, ManUre without Rooney or spuds without Bale......

We've had him for most of the season though. Losing him for the last seven games shouldn't be an excuse for us not at least averaging the point per game needed to match last season's total. Under McLeish we lost Bent, Dunne and then Petrov to leukemia. This didn't change the fact that finishing 16th with 38 points wasn't good enough.

Very true. It's not an excuse for our overall standing....

... but it is valid for our results over the next 7 games.

Very true. It's not an excuse for our overall standing....

... but it is valid for our results over the next 7 games.

In our last home game we lost 4-1 to stoke with benteke.

Is it really a valid excuse?

We've been poor with or without Benteke this season and if we go on another poor run of form then Benteke's injury will be used as an excuse by both the manager and fans alike.

No-one is saying that it isn't a blow to lose him, of course it is but he hasn't been at his best this season probably due to previous injuries so it's up to the manager to show what he is made of in changing the system to get the best out of what is available and get us safe.

Well our next game is against the worst team and defence in the league who will be playing a 17 year old up front, so there is still no excuse whatsoever for failing to win that one at least.

Sorry I have supported Villa for too long not to be really worried by that statement!

If you need a goal drought ending or a poor run stopped just come to VP. That's the way it works isn't it?

• Like 2

Well our next game is against the worst team and defence in the league who will be playing a 17 year old up front, so there is still no excuse whatsoever for failing to win that one at least.

Sorry I have supported Villa for too long not to be really worried by that statement!

If you need a goal drought ending or a poor run stopped just come to VP. That's the way it works isn't it?

Usually

But this is against the Fulham Pensioners at home

Fulham have a tag for being an extremely poor away side

Usually

Fulham are playing all their young players at the moment. They look a bit dodgy at the back but so do we. Dejagah is in form and he will give Bacuna a hard afternoon. This is not as easy as people think.

Usually

we got a tag for being an extremely poor home side so it will cancel it self out

I agree that we should still achieve 40 points (not necessarily with our games remaining, just as a general rule of thumb) but Benteke will have missed 12 league games this season and not been fully match fit for - at a guess - another 4 games?  That's us essentially being without our main striker and best player for over a third of a season.  Factor in that his backup has suffered from a broken leg and not featured in 2014 as well.

Again, not to say that we shouldn't achieve 40 points, but that's a pretty massive blow for any team let alone one operating under our constraints.

• Like 1

a poor home side that has beaten 2 of the top 3 at home ;)

I would be more confident of a win if we were playing a top 4 side rather than a bottom 3 side! Our record at home seems to be the better the opposition the better we play (Manure excluded obviously we are a guaranteed 3 points for them whatever, it is an unwritten law).

Usually

So did Stoke...

• Like 2

Im not sure if it has already been pointed out, but kudos has to go to the manager for keeping us outside of real relegation trouble with these injuries to key men.

Many other teams would be in real trouble had the same happened to their squad.

I would be more confident of a win if we were playing a top 4 side rather than a bottom 3 side! 

We beat Cardiff and WBA at home as well and drew to Sunderland. Top 4, bottom 4 we can do. It's the other middle 11 we struggle with at home.

A good side that lost 4-1 to stoke? looking at isolated games can make any team look good.

weve lost 9 out of 16 games at home, drawn 2, won 5. let in 26 goals, made 18 our selves and we failed to score in 44% of the games, not exactly a great record is it?

A good side that lost 4-1 to stoke? looking at isolated games can make any team look good.

weve lost 9 out of 16 games at home, drawn 2, won 5. let in 26 goals, made 18 our selves and we failed to score in 44% of the games, not exactly a great record is it?

Agree entirely. We have lost more games at home this season than at the same stage last season. Not good enough.

Â