Paul Lambert

limpid

I don't think possession stats are based on time in possession, just number of passes. So you could dribble it up and down for 40 minutes and the other team could nick it and tap it around and have dominated "possession".

Perhaps that's why Delph gets criticised by some, bloody dribbling up the field all the time and **** up our lovely stats.

I don't think possession stats are based on time in possession, just number of passes. So you could dribble it up and down for 40 minutes and the other team could nick it and tap it around and have dominated "possession".

Perhaps that's why Delph gets criticised by some, bloody dribbling up the field all the time and **** up our lovely stats.

??? Isn't that like saying the war had nothing to do with ze germans!?

Either I'm too old and need to be told to sit down, or possession stats have everything to do with possesssion and how long you are in possession of the ball, and number of passes are called pass completion?

Someone put me out of my misery!

Either I'm too old and need to be told to sit down, or possession stats have everything to do with possesssion and how long you are in possession of the ball, and number of passes are called pass completion?

The method you propose would give a far more accurate picture of possession but its way harder to track so isn't used. They just do a ratio of total number of successful passes instead.

We are still discussing possession stats? The Stoke match cannot arrive soon enough.

Lol noob. You actually watch the matches? You know all the stats get put up online? What's the point of watching?

This is Con's ACTUAL opinion

• Like 1

The feeling at 90 minutes in the City game for me has only been eclipsed this season at full time on Saturday; half time against Norwich; and after our third against WBA. So I would have that result as a big point of the season, rather than a stick to beat the manager with.

What about first half against liverpool. Best ive saw us play in years

The method you propose would give a far more accurate picture of possession but its way harder to track so isn't used. They just do a ratio of total number of successful passes instead.

Hold on. Is this true?

Not saying it isn't, but I literally have never heard that before.

Link?

Hold on. Is this true?

Not saying it isn't, but I literally have never heard that before.

Link?

It is indeed calculated by number of successful passes divided by the total number of successful passes, or at least it's how Opta do it.

(Blog post about it: http://leastthing.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/how-ball-possession-is-measured-in.html)

It seems silly to me, but as said in the blog, actually paying attention and recording whenever possession changes hands seems quite involved and hard to keep 100% accuracy with.

Which makes it all the less surprising when people complain we are one of the worst teams for possession AND passes, well yeah, that's how possession's calculated.

Edited by MessiWillSignForVilla

The feeling at 90 minutes in the City game for me has only been eclipsed this season at full time on Saturday; half time against Norwich; and after our third against WBA. So I would have that result as a big point of the season, rather than a stick to beat the manager with.

What about first half against liverpool. Best ive saw us play in years

Yeah I was there that evening and it's one of the best performances I've witnessed live by us in a while.

I originally had it in my post but deleted it to maintain the narrative effect of a list of 3. My year 7 English teacher would be so proud.

• Like 1

We are still discussing possession stats? The Stoke match cannot arrive soon enough.

Not if we beat them with less possession. There'll be an absolute uproar on here.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

Not if we beat them with less possession. There'll be an absolute uproar on here.

Possession have been an importent aspect of the modern game, whether people like it or not.

Â