Paul Lambert

limpid

Lowton, KEA and Westwood are far from rubbish. Inconsistent, yes but all mid table standard midfielders. Excellent considering our financial constraints.

KEA is NOT a mid table standard midfielder. He brings literally in my opinion nothing to the team apart from a headless chicken approach of running around with the inability to tackle or make a presence of himself. Lambert persists with him because it was his signing. He is a 'rubbish' signing.

• Like 1

A bit surprised this has come about now when we are not even safe in the league and our form is best described as inconsistent. I am still on the fence over Lambert mainly due to this inconsistency and the poor tactical decision making at times. Offer a new contract is premature in my mind but they have only just started talks so things may not get sorted for a while yet?

To say he has done a terrific job clearing out the deadwood is a strange statement in my eyes as it hardly took a genius to workout who needed to go. We could all see it. Now if he had sold Ireland for £2m or Bent for £5m then I would admit that this was indeed worthy of praise but shipping them out on frees. Plus his buys have been up and down as you would expect from any manager but he is nothing extraordinary.

In fact I wish boss would try to give me a pay rise after performing at the level Lambert has. I have been far better at job than Lambert and what do I get?? NADA!!

• Like 2

some people are too harsh on Lambert's transfer record. he's shopping at the budget end of the market (for a Premier league club). risk is a big determining factor in transfer fees - if the players he was signing were risk free, they'd cost more, so some disappointments are pretty well guaranteed.

outside the super-rich, every club in the league has relatively low price signings in their squad who have made limited impact (equivalent to Tonev, Helenius, Bennett). and the fact is we've changed 90% of our team in 18 months. that's always going to be a difficult transition. it's much easier to integrate players into an established team than to use them as building blocks for a whole new team.

even if you look the next bracket up, Brendan Rodgers is generally doing great at Liverpool but he's made a number of signings like Aspas, Alberto, Assaidi, Borini who have not been successful and most of them cost the same or more than Benteke.

maybe the end of the season would be better time to sort new contract, but as stated, it's in negotiation: it wouldn't be surprising if nothing is concluded until we are safe.

but when we have had reasonable funds, not much better has happened.

the chances  with regards to better players coming in is probably in parallel with Bill Gates taking over.

If Randy Lerner had of sanctioned 50 mill in the Jan window, there is no guarantee or certainty that the players we want to see, would arrive.

Under successive managers since O'Leary, we have an horrendous record of signing "pigs in pokes"

I have no optimism what so ever that things will change.

All managers make bad signings, but in terms of ratio we have had an enormous dose of our unfair share of ones that havn't worked out......what that is down to is anyones guess.

We have had managers in the past that have had difficult constraints under HDE but have still managed to find decent players, Gray,Withe,McGrath,Neilsen,Southgate,Eghiogu,Platt,Yorke,Milosovich,Angel,Young,Milner,Carew,Teale,Bosnich and more.

yes its a different landscape with money the god, but we have to stop the excuses and emulate some of the work of the past managers.

Aston Villa at one time was a decent attraction , I fear that may have eroded with years and years of mediocrity. Aston villa have rarely had a team full of highly paid stars, usually 3/4 who make that big difference and influence the lesser players to better things....We have usually reserved our big money for the obvious players that CAN make a difference to a game, its unlikely we will ever get to the level of Utd,Chelsea or Man City, who can sign world class full backs.....but to play "fill in" with midfield players is dicing with death, we need to improve that standard.....like pronto.

We all know the difficult Job that Paul Lambert has had to face, but equally be careful not to sleep walk in to the comfort zone of excuses.....I have a sneaky, sneaky feeling ( hypothetically)that even with the present squad and  Mourinho at the helm, we would have more points on the board, particularly with the Fulhams and the Crystal Palaces and this panic under pressure would be eliminated.

Edited by TRO

Interesting from Kendrick's article

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/sport-opinion/mat-kendrick-comment-aston-villa-6669384

That was the thinking behind acquiring the Premier League experience of Ryan Bertrand and Grant Holt in January, albeit it on loan, and it transpires a substantial bid was made last month for a target for whom a deal could not quite be struck – and we’re talking much more substantial than Norwich’s Wes Hoolahan.

• Like 4

Depay? Or was that just something some guy on Twitter made up?

Mantis you wanted him sacked and have admitted you offered no serious alternative options. You've now made a post about how your amazed those that are pissed off with him aren't able to come up with better options.

And the classic 'black and white' line. Haha love it.

I offered no serious alternative options because the period in which I actually wanted him sacked was incredibly small. I've already been through this with you several times - it was a silly emotive reaction to admittedly some very bad results. I was still pissed off with him for a good couple of months after that but didn't want him sacked because it would be counter-productive.

Laugh all you want at it but it's true. It's because of this black and white approach that you seem to think that because I wanted Lambert out for about a week in the 19 months that he's been here I can't then ask people who have wanted him out for virtually his entire tenure (or at the very least a significant portion of it) who they think could come in and do a better job with the same level of funding. We're not on a really bad set of results or performances at the moment like we were at Christmas, so it's highly unlikely that the people upset about these contract talks are just caught up in the heat of the moment like I and many other people have been at some point or another. If they're really that upset about Lambert possibly extending his contract then who would they like to see instead?

For the record if I properly turn on Lambert then people are more than entitled to ask me who could do a better job, although it was for this exact reason (the lack of better alternatives) that my emotive and brief opposition to Lambert last season never turned into anything concrete.

Edited by Mantis

Depay? Or was that just something some guy on Twitter made up?

Mantis you wanted him sacked and have admitted you offered no serious alternative options. You've now made a post about how your amazed those that are pissed off with him aren't able to come up with better options.

And the classic 'black and white' line. Haha love it.

I offered no serious alternative options because the period in which I actually wanted him sacked was incredibly small. I've already been through this with you several times - it was a silly emotive reaction to admittedly some very bad results. I was still pissed off with him for a good couple of months after that but didn't want him sacked because it would be counter-productive.

Laugh all you want at it but it's true. It's because of this black and white approach that you seem to think that because I wanted Lambert out for about a week in the 19 months that he's been here I can't then ask people who have wanted him out for virtually his entire tenure (or at the very least a significant portion of it) who they think could come in and do a better job with the same level of funding. We're not on a really bad set of results or performances at the moment like we were at Christmas, so it's highly unlikely that the people upset about these contract talks are just caught up in the heat of the moment like I and many other people have been at some point or another. If they're really that upset about Lambert possibly extending his contract then who would they like to see instead?

For the record if I properly turn on Lambert then people are more than entitled to ask me who could do a better job, although it was for this exact reason (the lack of better alternatives) that my emotive and brief opposition to Lambert last season never turned into anything concrete.

I applaud your comments....I might add that everyone is entitled to change their opinions, opinions are usually based on events and actions and information, they change and we can have a change of heart....if we do it every week then yes a bit of doubt creeps in as to the judgement of the individual.

may I say that intransigence is equally as bad when an opinion becomes an immovable force, I am equally as dubious about that.

balanced views are invariably the most sensible.....but hey opinions are made to be changed and it is no slight on anyones judgement.

Edited by TRO

We all know the difficult Job that Paul Lambert has had to face, but equally be careful not to sleep walk in to the comfort zone of excuses.....I have a sneaky, sneaky feeling ( hyperthetically)that even with the present squad and  Mourinho at the helm, we would have more points on the board, particularly with the Fulhams and the Crystal Palaces and this panic under pressure would be eliminated.

well, yes. and that's the reason Mourinho managed Real Madrid & is one of the highest valued managers in the world. saying Lambert is not as good as Mourinho is like saying Delph is not as good as Yaya Toure or Schweinsteiger. no shit! of course we should always aspire to more but you've got to balance that with realism of who we are competing with. the question is not whether someone like Mourinho would do a better job, but whether other realistic options would do a better job. 

look at the clubs outside the Champions League hopefuls - do any of them have better managers? Southampton with Pochettino probably, but he went there on the back of big spending (and may not stay now the situation's changed). Laudrup got a lot of plaudits last year but he's had more money than Lambert and is doing no better in his 2nd season. Spurs, Fulham, WBA, Cardiff, Sunderland all changed managers this year and have each now got fairly risky untried options. while elsewhere there's old familiars like Hughes, Bruce, Allardyce, Pulis, Pardew. perhaps we missed the boat with Martinez, but otherwise I'm not seeing a lot of better options than Lambert. 

So Kendrick, the mouthpiece of the club in the local media, let's us know we put in a massive bid for a player that we didn't sign a couple of days after a bad performance and rumours of the club being up for sale.

PR at its best.

A tactic that many people criticise HDE for doing! 

The Jim Bowen 'Look at what you could have won.'

• Like 1

Manager getting a new contract and mystery huge bid stories leaked just days after rumours about the club being up for sale are interesting.

Are the club concerned the deal may get ruined if too much exposure? Surely neither of those stories needed to be leaked at this point, I find the timing very interesting.

Edited by Big_John_10
  • Like 2

That was my first thought, classic Dougism right there.  "Ooh, we just missed out on signing Frank Lampard".

January is a tough month to do business though. The summer should be interesting if this interest in a "substantial signing" is true.

Â