Top 10 Albums

JoshVilla

they are considered hair metal or even glam metal, and although I'm not into that at all I love motley crue. By no means the greatest band ever, but they never thought they was, but they played hard and partied harder. I was crazy on them in my teens but grew out of them as I got older. Every time I play their albums which is not often, I always have a good time. Girls girls girls in particular is a real fun album. Let's look at the themes on that album, drugs, drug overdoses, murder, sex, underage sex, strip bars, yep it's a great rock n roll album. They never took themselves too seriously like a certain someone named axl rose.

Gave this a go.

Definitely Maybe - Oasis
What's the Story - Oasis
Masterplan - Oasis
Chasing Yesterday - NGHFB
The Seer - Big Country
Thåström - Skebokvarnsvägen 209
Ebba Grön - Kärlek & Uppror
Wilmer X - Hallå Världen
Pogues - If I should fall from grace with God
U2 - The Joshua Tree

31 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

Gave this a go.

Definitely Maybe - Oasis
What's the Story - Oasis
Masterplan - Oasis
Chasing Yesterday - NGHFB
The Seer - Big Country
Thåström - Skebokvarnsvägen 209
Ebba Grön - Kärlek & Uppror
Wilmer X - Hallå Världen
Pogues - If I should fall from grace with God
U2 - The Joshua Tree

And there was me thinking you Sveeeeeeedes had taste!

On 17/10/2014 at 22:45, JoshVilla said:

We have a top 10 films and artists thread, so I thought it'd be interesting to list our top 10 albums(or however many you can manage; it's bloody difficult). I think that it's quite interesting how our top albums might be from different artists to those in our top 10.

In a random order:

Aja - Steely Dan

Close to the Edge - Yes

Thriller or Off the Wall - Michael Jackson

Morning View - Incubus

Lateralus - Tool

Deloused in the Comatorium - The Mars Volta

The Nightfly - Donald Fagen

Total Life Forever - Foals

Crack the Skye - Mastodon

Undecided on which Porcupine Tree album to put here.

(apologies if this thread has already existed)

Always difficult (and cannot believe I haven’t seen this thread before!). The OP, I have to say good shouts on the ones I have highlighted. For me, there are 6 albums which are there without question:

Metallica – Master of Puppets

Iron Maiden – Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

Black Sabbath – Black Sabbath

Mastodon – Leviathan

Judas Priest – British Steel

Slayer – Reign in Blood

These to me are heart and soul fundamental classic albums and deserve to be in the list of top albums. After that however it becomes somewhat more difficult. IF I had to narrow down to a top 10 right now I would probably add the following:

Enslaved – Veterbrae

Porcupine Tree – Fear of a Blank Planet

Clutch – Psychic Warfare

Ghost – Meliora

All 4 albums are great and I would say the respective bands best works. Certainly albums that I keep returning to with ever growing love. That said, there should definitely be honourable mentions to the following:

Gojira – From Mars to Sirius

Anthrax – Among the Living

Baroness – Yellow & Green

Sunn o)))/Boris – Altar

Ihsahn – Arktis

Devin Townsend Project – Ki

Yes – Fragile

Black Sabbath – Paranoid

Led Zepplin – IV

The Ramones – The Ramones

Sabaton – Coat of Arms

ZZ Top – Tres Hombres

Boris – Pink

Heaven & Hell – The Devil You Know

King Diamond – Them

Kylesa – Exhausting Fire

Napalm Death – Apex Predator

Opeth – Deliverance

Iron Maiden – Iron Maiden

Some of these have in the past definitely been in top 10, some likely to be there in the future (Ihsahn’s album is fantastic and most likely!). Ask me again in a year…!

• Like 4

Just now, Xann said:

They're touring this in the run up to Christmas.

Thanks. They have been doing a massive tour in America on this over the summer. Frustrating as they are not coming to Brum! Can't decide whether to trek down to Bristol or London though!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Xann said:

They're touring this in the run up to Christmas.

Wanted to see them in Leeds. Dates don't work for me though. A bit gutted, as this is the second time I've missed them touring.

26 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Always difficult (and cannot believe I haven’t seen this thread before!). The OP, I have to say good shouts on the ones I have highlighted. For me, there are 6 albums which are there without question:

Metallica – Master of Puppets

Iron Maiden – Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

Black Sabbath – Black Sabbath

Mastodon – Leviathan

Judas Priest – British Steel

Slayer – Reign in Blood

These to me are heart and soul fundamental classic albums and deserve to be in the list of top albums. After that however it becomes somewhat more difficult. IF I had to narrow down to a top 10 right now I would probably add the following:

Enslaved – Veterbrae

Porcupine Tree – Fear of a Blank Planet

Clutch – Psychic Warfare

Ghost – Meliora

All 4 albums are great and I would say the respective bands best works. Certainly albums that I keep returning to with ever growing love. That said, there should definitely be honourable mentions to the following:

Gojira – From Mars to Sirius

Anthrax – Among the Living

Baroness – Yellow & Green

Sunn o)))/Boris – Altar

Ihsahn – Arktis

Devin Townsend Project – Ki

Yes – Fragile

Black Sabbath – Paranoid

Led Zepplin – IV

The Ramones – The Ramones

Sabaton – Coat of Arms

ZZ Top – Tres Hombres

Boris – Pink

Heaven & Hell – The Devil You Know

King Diamond – Them

Kylesa – Exhausting Fire

Napalm Death – Apex Predator

Opeth – Deliverance

Iron Maiden – Iron Maiden

Some of these have in the past definitely been in top 10, some likely to be there in the future (Ihsahn’s album is fantastic and most likely!). Ask me again in a year…!

Man, Deliverance of all Opeth albums eh? Best example of different strokes etc, because that's easily my least favorite of theirs, of their traditional albums at least. Pale Communion was probably worse and I haven't heard the new one but I get the feeling it will too.

• Like 1

Really tough but as with many of you this list is more albums that are linked to happy memories for me.

Oasis - What's The Story?

Radiohead - OK Computer

Biffy Clyro - Puzzle

The Frames - Dance The Devil

Pearl Jam - Ten

Blink 182 - Enema Of The State

Metallica - Black Album

Ocean Colour Scene - Moseley Shoals

Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit

Alice In Chains - Dirt

As you may be able to tell musically I am stuck in the 90s!!

32 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Man, Deliverance of all Opeth albums eh? Best example of different strokes etc, because that's easily my least favorite of theirs, of their traditional albums at least. Pale Communion was probably worse and I haven't heard the new one but I get the feeling it will too.

See Deliverance for me is the best, perfect blend of Prog and Death; though can appreciate people will have different views and all up to Heritage are great albums! Which one would you go for then?

Heritage and Pale Communion for me were dull and uninteresting, with Pale Communion a slight improvement. Have avoided listening too much so can appreciate the full album but yes I have already preordered it... 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

See Deliverance for me is the best, perfect blend of Prog and Death; though can appreciate people will have different views and all up to Heritage are great albums! Which one would you go for then?

Heritage and Pale Communion for me were dull and uninteresting, with Pale Communion a slight improvement. Have avoided listening too much so can appreciate the full album but yes I have already preordered it... 

I still love Deliverance don't get me wrong. The title track is what got me into Opeth and is still in my top 5 of their entire discography at least. Masters Apprentices and A Fair Judgement are also superb. The problem is the other 3 tracks are really boring, with Wreath probably being the only Opeth track pre-Pale Communion that I don't like.

My favorite is Morningrise. It used to be Blackwater Park for years with maybe Still Life a close second. Heritage has risen up the rankings recently, it's brilliant and shows that Opeth can really do the whole prog thing very well. It's just that PC and from the singles the new one, are very uninspired. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I still love Deliverance don't get me wrong. The title track is what got me into Opeth and is still in my top 5 of their entire discography at least. Masters Apprentices and A Fair Judgement are also superb. The problem is the other 3 tracks are really boring, with Wreath probably being the only Opeth track pre-Pale Communion that I don't like.

My favorite is Morningrise. It used to be Blackwater Park for years with maybe Still Life a close second. Heritage has risen up the rankings recently, it's brilliant and shows that Opeth can really do the whole prog thing very well. It's just that PC and from the singles the new one, are very uninspired. 

:o Wreath is probably one of the best?! I get stuck on riff in that song, absolutely love it!

Morningrise is excellent as are the others early one. Might give heritage another go to see if views have changed. Just want them to do a proper uk tour - feels like they just want to do the big fancy shows in London...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, VillaEire said:

Really tough but as with many of you this list is more albums that are linked to happy memories for me.

Oasis - What's The Story?

Radiohead - OK Computer

Biffy Clyro - Puzzle

The Frames - Dance The Devil

Pearl Jam - Ten

Blink 182 - Enema Of The State

Metallica - Black Album

Ocean Colour Scene - Moseley Shoals

Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit

Alice In Chains - Dirt

As you may be able to tell musically I am stuck in the 90s!!

:thumb:

Almost impossible to name just 10 so I'm going for albums who are both IMO great and also "helped form me" in some way

Refused - Everlasting

Fireside - Fantastic Four

The Hellacopters - Supershitty to the Max!

AC/DC - Let there be rock

Propagandhi - Supporting Caste

NOFX - Punk In Drublic

Operation Ivy - Energy

Entombed - Left Hand Path

The Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street (or Sticky or Beggars or...)

Fu Manchu - The Action is Go!

Lots of men, lots of swedes and lots of guitars in this list...

Could easily make another list of equally good music from other genres, but that goes for everyone I guess :D

• Like 3

Yeah, the Boris dates kinda suck for me too. No brum or notts. And Pink is alright, but I'd prefer a more varied set list. I was fortunate enough to see them play sets which included Flood (last time they toured the UK - with Michio Kurihara) and Feedbacker (years ago) - not the whole things of course! Just the 'highlights'. But hey it's Boris so even if the setlist isn't my fave it'd still be a great show.

My ultimate dream is to witness Evil Wave Form live...but I don't suppose it'll ever happen ;___;

I much prefer the Merzbow collabs to the Sunn0))) stuff.

Could talk about Boris for hours upon hours. I'm desperate for their next LP to be full of songs like Surrender and Kimono Peak from recent releases.

Edited by hogso
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, cyrusr said:

:o Wreath is probably one of the best?! I get stuck on riff in that song, absolutely love it!

Morningrise is excellent as are the others early one. Might give heritage another go to see if views have changed. Just want them to do a proper uk tour - feels like they just want to do the big fancy shows in London...

Yeah Wreath would be great if it were half the length, it's so repetitive :/ . That riff is great but it wears thin after the 34th repitition.

44 minutes ago, sne said:

Almost impossible to name just 10 so I'm going for albums who are both IMO great and also "helped form me" in some way

Refused - Everlasting

Fireside - Fantastic Four

The Hellacopters - Supershitty to the Max!

AC/DC - Let there be rock

Propagandhi - Supporting Caste

NOFX - Punk In Drublic

Operation Ivy - Energy

Entombed - Left Hand Path

The Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street (or Sticky or Beggars or...)

Fu Manchu - The Action is Go!

Lots of men, lots of swedes and lots of guitars in this list...

Could easily make another list of equally good music from other genres, but that goes for everyone I guess :D

Left hand path :thumb: 

40 minutes ago, hogso said:

I much prefer the Merzbow collabs to the Sunn0))) stuff.

I've only really listened to the double album they did with him earlier this year. Was cool but prefer keeping the Boris side up and the Merzbow stuff down.

For me that Boris/Sunn o))) collaboration was my first real introduction to both bands and will always be special for me. Went down to London for that show too, which in turn introduced me to Earth.

For me Sunn don't have enough about them and sort of go down the one path. Don't mind them at all but think they were their most interesting on Altar and White 2. The Scott Walker record was also really cool, just haven't been keen on their latter records and the Ulver one disappointed me.

Whilst with Boris, you can never be truly certain what you are going to get, just that it's damn good! Getting the back catalogue though... They release a lot of records! 

@sne - nothing wrong with Swedish music - some of the best out there! Definitely a big :thumb: for the death'n'roll of Entombed from me too! 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Whilst with Boris, you can never be truly certain what you are going to get, just that it's damn good! Getting the back catalogue though... They release a lot of records!

Ha, yeah man. Have you got to the Asia/Warpath/Urban Dance triple release from last year yet? Just when you think they can't surprise you :D Nothing quite like opening up and putting on a new Boris record, not knowing what to expect. I dread the day they stop releasing records.

• Like 1

Â