Top 10 Albums

JoshVilla

Blue - Joni Mitchell

Didn't know they had an album called Joni Mitchell!

blue.jpg

Pah. That ain't Blue. 

Blue73-thumb-400x399.jpg

Blue are a Scottish pop rock band, formed in Glasgow in 1973. The band currently consists of Hughie Nicholson, Ian MacMillan and David Nicholson.

Formed and fronted by ex-Marmalade guitarist Nicholson, Blue signed to RSO Records and released their eponymous debut album the same year. Nicholson was a member of Marmalade between 1971 and 1973, writing fifteen songs to fulfil their Decca recording contract, including the hits, "Cousin Norman", "Back On The Road", and "Radancer" before he left to form Blue. He wrote the majority of Blue's material, including their most recognised number - "Gonna Capture Your Heart". Earlier in his life, he had been a member of the 1960s Scottish rock outfit, The Poets.

Blue's debut single "Little Jody" failed to chart. It was recorded before Jimmy McCulloch joined the band. A revised version of "Little Jody" appeared on acompilation album20 in 2002. They then added another guitarist, Robert 'Smiggy' Smith (born 30 March 1946, Kiel, Germany) before recording and issuing their second album - Life in the Navy.

This revised line-up did not last for long, following a dispute with RSO, only MacMillan and Nicholson remained. The duo then added Charlie Smith (drummer) and David Nicholson (bass), and it was this line-up that signed to Elton John's record label named The Rocket Record Company and scored a US BillboardHot 100 chart entry, and UK Singles Chart Top 40 hit, with "Gonna Capture Your Heart". It was their debut release from the Another Night Time Flight album which was produced by Elton John and Clive Franks. Blue released two other singles from the album which both failed to enter the UK Singles Chart.

They released one other album for Rocket; Fools' Party (1979) before parting company and re-locating to Los AngelesCalifornia. They spent three years compiling new material and playing the local clubs such as The Roxy, The Troubadour, The Palomino, Madame Wong's and the Central Club (later The Viper). Unsuccessful in securing a contract with their new material, they returned to the UK in 1983, shortly before which Blue released the single "Don't Wanna Make You Cry" / "Moonlight" on the Zuma label (ZOOM 1, 1982). Nicholson released "Love You Made A Fool Of Me" (ZOOM 4, 1984), and whilst continuing to record with MacMillan, also wrote and produced four singles with Gary Numan on lead vocals; "Radio Heart", "London Times", "All Across The Nation" which were released under the name Radio Heart in 1987, and "Like A Refugee (I Won't Cry)" released under the name Da Da Dang in 1994. The first two releases entered the UK chart.

In 2003 the remaining personnel Hugh and David Nicholson plus Ian MacMillan took the then high flying boy band Blue to court. It was a high profile High Courtcase over the use of the band's name. But the 1970s band Blue heard the judge opine that "it is not difficult to distinguish between the present day pop group, and the original users of the group's title". They subsequently came to an agreement that they could continue to share the name.

Wikipedia

Oh my God, I can't do this.

Gang Of Four - Entertainment!
Refused - The Shape Of Punk To Come...

Massive Attack - Mezzanine

Primal Scream - XTRMNTR

Helmet - Meantime

Bad Religion - Against The Grain

Slayer - Reign In Blood

Mew - Frengers

Converge - Jane Doe

Tegan And Sara - Heartthrob

Ladyhawke - Ladyhawke

Def Leppard - Pyromania

The National - Boxer

The Cure - Disintegration

Depeche Mode - Violator

Joy Division (Warsaw) - Warsaw

LCD Soundsystem - Sound Of Silver

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - B.R.M.C.

New Order - Get Ready!

Pink Floyd - The Dark Side Of The Moon

The Notwist - Neon Golden

Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine

Radiohead - The Bends

The Presets - Pacifica

The Faint - Danse Macabre

Mogwai...The Smiths...The Verve...Kraftwerk...Catherine Wheel...Hum...Sigur Rós...

...Nope, nope, nope, I can't do this. Nope.

Edited by JamieZ
  • Like 3

Bad - Michael Jackson

Parachutes - Coldplay

Channel Orange - Frank Ocean

The Smiths - The Smiths

Marshall Mathers LP - Eminem

Nevermind - Nirvana

Californication - RHCP

The College Dropout - Kanye West

Youth and Young Manhood - Kings of Leon

Dangerous - Michael Jackson

• Like 1

honourable mentions to every other Michael Jackson album, What's the Story (Morning Glory), Camp, Yeezus, Parklife, Significant Other, All Killer No Filler (purely for nostalgia reasons, it's not actually very good) and probably some others I've forgotten

Edited by Stevo985

I've had to break the rules as I cannot get one off my list of eleven, so in no particular order...

Dr Feelgood - Down By The Jetty

The Jam - In The City

The Jam - The Gift

Primal Scream - Screamadelica

Primal Scream - Give Out, But Don't Give Up

Alabama 3 - Exile On Coldharbour Lane

Alabama 3 - La Peste

Alabama 3 - Shoplifting For Jesus

Super Furry Animals - Fuzzy Logic

Super Furry Animals - Phantom Phorce

It can be no coincidence that 4 of those 5 bands are the best bands I've ever seen live, The Jam being the weak link there, they were easily out gunned by Nine Below Zero / The Truth as a live band. But NBZ never managed to get their sound successfully captured on vinyl.

Antidotes - Foals

Favourite Worst Nightmare - Arctic Monkeys

Lost Forever Lost Together - Architects

Union Of Crowns - Bury Tomorrow

There Is A Hell Believe Me I've seen it, There Is A Heaven Lets Keep It A Secret - Bring Me The Horizon

In Love - Peace

The Sound Of The Smiths - The Smiths

FIDLAR - FIDLAR

Holy Fire - Foals

Daybreaker - Architects

Antidotes - Foals

Favourite Worst Nightmare - Arctic Monkeys

Lost Forever Lost Together - Architects

Union Of Crowns - Bury Tomorrow

There Is A Hell Believe Me I've seen it, There Is A Heaven Lets Keep It A Secret - Bring Me The Horizon

In Love - Peace

The Sound Of The Smiths - The Smiths

FIDLAR - FIDLAR

Holy Fire - Foals

Daybreaker - Architects

Mine are either albums that meant something to me at the time or I have discovered later on.  A quick first try gives:-

Bowie - Ziggy Stardust

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

Fleetwod Mac - Rumours

Kate Bush - Hounds of Love

Jam - All Mod Cons

Beatles - Abbey Road - athough hard to choose just one album - honourable mention to Rubber Soul too

Rod Stewart - Never a Dull Moment

Queen - Sheer Heart Attack

Who - Who Sell Out - again hard to choose one so honourable mention to Who's Next too

Al Stewart- Love Chronicles

Honourable mentions to Electric Warrior by T-Rex, Misplaced Childhood by Marillion, Harvest by Neil Young, Tea for the Tillerman by Cat Stevens  and Led Zep II

WIll probably think of at least one mega omission as I've come up with these whilst at work!

EDIT - Mega Omission one - Songs for Beginners by Graham Nash - Love that Album! Prob put it in instead of Rod and make him an "honourable mention"

Edited by Hev
  • Like 3

It is difficult to think of something genuinely new after the mid 70's

Hip Hop says, Yo.

ah yes, I forgot Hip Hop which many would say the likes of Gil Scott Heron and Kool Herc* originated back in the Bronx in the, er, oh the mid 70's.

although admittedly the spinny dancing, grafitti, large alarm clock necklaces and baseball caps all came along in the 80's

according to Wikipedia, 11th August, 1973 DJ Kool Herc used 2 turntables to extend the breaks and add scratching in records to allow extended (break) dancing, whilst MCing or rapping over the top....

that's science fact I've just seen on the internet, I'm giving that one to 1973

Edited by chrisp65

It is difficult to think of something genuinely new after the mid 70's

Hip Hop says, Yo.

ah yes, I forgot Hip Hop which many would say the likes of Gil Scott Heron and Kool Herc* originated back in the Bronx in the, er, oh the mid 70's.

although admittedly the spinny dancing, grafitti, large alarm clock necklaces and baseball caps all came along in the 80's

according to Wikipedia, 11th August, 1973 DJ Kool Herc used 2 turntables to extend the breaks and add scratching in records to allow extended (break) dancing, whilst MCing or rapping over the top....

that's science fact I've just seen on the internet, I'm giving that one to 1973

You could argue that the Toasters on Reggae sound systems were the kind of like the modern MC.  

I also remember watching a documentary that championed Jimmy Saville as the first person to use two turn tables... :o

OK, then, new and Not Shit.

Many from the generations preceding yours, who were listening to Karajan, Szell and Beecham hot off the press, said the same about Zeppelin and Dylan.

Many from generations after yours would say you're out of touch. :)

• Like 1

Â