• Poor
    • Very poor
  3. 3. Refereeing performance

• Very good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very poor

Like many others, I have ate my words in regards to Gabby and Andi, they both played brilliantly today. Just hope it wasn't a flash in the pan and they can both perform during our 'month of hell'. Others have pretty much summed up everything else I thought.

Highlights here for any who are interested. Full game 1st half here, 2nd half here - all 720p.

• Like 2

Probably going to upset you all but Gabby was nowhere near MotM. In fact once again it was our defensive unit that stood out, this week Senderos. You know, the bloke everyone said was shit?

First half we were pretty good but Hull looked the worst side I've seen in decades. Second half we were cack on the whole.

And WTF was the targeting of Grealish all about? Did Potato Head instruct his team to try and cripple the kid if he came on? Never seen anything like that before...to a man the Hull players looked like they were trying to get the payout from a contract.

• Like 1

Grealish has looked good, but today didn't do much but get fouled a lot. He may turn out well, but Brian Little? Give me a **** break.

I'm not writing him off, but let's not build him up to be a world beater before he's got started. Remember Luke Moore?

• Like 1

Grealish has looked good, but today didn't do much but get fouled a lot. He may turn out well, but Brian Little? Give me a **** break.

I'm not writing him off, but let's not build him up to be a world beater before he's got started. Remember Luke Moore?

Aim high....he can be a legend for us..like you say its early days ..but his targets for this should be:-

33 appearances

20 goals

England call up

Stand named after him

Statue outside Villa park

• Like 1

First half we were good, played the ball around nicely and we looked both effective and pleasing on the eye when our midfield got forward in and around the edge of the penalty box in front of the North Stand.

Unfortunately, in the second half they elected to stay there, we very rarely got more than one midfielder getting into the opposition half and as a result our centre backs were forced to lump it over the top - we need to learn from that, there's a courage in playing the right way when you're two ahead and instead we went into our shells - second half rubbish - but then I suppose it's been a while since this team were two goals ahead.

Back four were excellent, particularly Senderos, Sissokho had a couple of wobbly moments and gave their right winger too much room, but they looked solid enough. Delph was a little bit scruffy in his passing today, Westwood continued a very solid start to the season and there were a couple of occasions when N'Zogbia worked to get the ball back which was pleasing.

Gabby took his goal well and then played very well for twenty minutes thereafter and the front two looked much livelier. 

Grealish brings smiles, Sanchez is a little off the pace and the other sub makes me angry when I think about him so I'm not going to.

Good result, good start to the season, and a happy Villa Park - 'Lambert give us a wave' no less.

Happy.

Great first half we looked like we were playing a lower league club.  Now I know why Gabbi and Andi continually get picked.  Thought Westwood played very well,  Having options in the midfield seems to have made him play better than ever.    Bent need match time but i would not want to replace any of our present forwards with him.  

Played some great stuff first half. Could have been 3 or 4 up at the break. Two nicely taken goals. Westwood unlucky with the free kick off the bar.

Second half we just didn't seem to play with the same intensity and let them come onto us way to much but we seem to have a bend but not break back line now.

Gabby did what Gabby does best, hassle and harry and give the opposition defence something to worry about. Andi worked hard too.

Delph was great 30 mins either side of half time. The back four all did what they had to do and didn't really look too stressed. I like Cissokho very much.

Good 3 points all in all although there are tougher challenges to come.

Oh and Grealish better than Brain Little ? Really ? He looked lively and offered an out ball when we were under pressure. Now this is just a niggely point put I think someone needs to tell him to pull his socks up. Those shins are going to seem awfully inviting for defenders. Especially if he beats them a few times 

Probably going to upset you all but Gabby was nowhere near MotM. In fact once again it was our defensive unit that stood out, this week Senderos. You know, the bloke everyone said was shit?

First half we were pretty good but Hull looked the worst side I've seen in decades. Second half we were cack on the whole.

And WTF was the targeting of Grealish all about? Did Potato Head instruct his team to try and cripple the kid if he came on? Never seen anything like that before...to a man the Hull players looked like they were trying to get the payout from a contract.

Agree with that he was solid as a rock.

For me we were great first half and poor in the second. We sat too deep and invited pressure hence their goal. We could and should have scored a couple more but loads of positives to take from the game.

I just could not understand the obvious targeting of Grealish who actually did very little save for one run I think but clearly took the pressure off the defence. Bizarrely Hull seemed terrified of him. The one thing Grealish will need to do is work on his defending, I felt he backed off the Hull attackers too much but certainly bags of promise.

In terms of the remainder of the window I would like to see the midfield strengthened, Cleverley would be a good addition.

Oh and a final thought...piss poor attendance at 28k.

Edited by Harry

Good win, very good first half but bit nervy the last half hour. Defence looked solid again and we passed the ball really well in the first half. Really liked how Grealish just laughed after about the 4th foul but still kept showing for the ball, just wished he'd had a shot instead of laying it off to Delph at the end. Promising start to the season, be interesting to see what happens tomorrow :)

Thankful for the win, but we nearly paid the price for not going for the jugular in the second half when we were in control. First half was very good though, cracking finish from Gabby.

Good performances on the whole by most of the players, but thought Zog was ineffective, Westwood quiet and Sanchez had little positive impact on the game.

A good win today. Hull were pish in the first half but we took our chances for once, with Gabby remembering that he is a striker.  Game should have been over by 45. Sat back too much in the second, and the last quarter of the match was more uncomfortable than it should have been. Grealish looks promising, but we still need another forward as Bent is shot. Davies looked like a pub player and it always great that Bruce is called a potato head by thousands of people.

Its good to have the points on the board as the next round of fixtures  after the internationals look a bit smelly. We need some more wins to convince the floating fans as the attendance today was below 30,000. Leicester will be getting a bigger crowd than this today.

Onwards and upwards, utv.

Aim high....he can be a legend for us..like you say its early days ..but his targets for this should be:-

33 appearances

20 goals

England call up

Stand named after him

Statue outside Villa park

Like Doug Ellis? He invented the bicycle kick you know....

Voted Gabby MOTM but it was a toss-up between everybody except N'Zogbia. Solid 75 minutes but we did get a little too nervous after they scored. We are not a team yet that hold the ball in the team for long periods too play away the time in these situations.

If we have a good Monday I actually believe we can challenge to win the Rest of the League, which is 8th.

Like everybody says, great first half. We started the second pretty well, but then after around 60 minutes gave it to them.

Everyone was awesome!

I'll give MotM to Andi, two GWGs now, and one assist. Really hope this game boosts his confidence.

First half we played really well and they were all over the place

2 well took goals with Hull there for the taking

Second half they changed tactics and at least Lambert saw this taking off Nzogbia (still doesn't do enough for me in a Villa shirt) and bringing on Sanchez.

Was very nervy at the end. We kept giving the ball back to them which was frustrating.

Still, very happy with the win  :)