McLeish

chappy

No it isn't.

Check out the team sheet in our home game with Spurs under McLeish we had 5 or 6 defenders in the starting line up and Heskey in midfield as we set out to try and get a 0-0 at home.

You seem to be confusing results with styles of play, irrespective if the points total of McLeish was the same or similar to that of Lambert that has nothing to do with a judgement of their respective styles of play.

There is absolutely nothing hypocritical about being critical of McLeish's style of play unless perhaps you are George Graham.

• Like 2

No it isn't.

Check out the team sheet in our home game with Spurs under McLeish we had 5 or 6 defenders in the starting line up and Heskey in midfield as we set out to try and get a 0-0 at home.

You seem to be confusing results with styles of play, irrespective if the points total of McLeish was the same or similar to that of Lambert that has nothing to do with a judgement of their respective styles of play.

There is absolutely nothing hypocritical about being critical of McLeish's style of play unless perhaps you are George Graham.

I will always remember this game. Lambert's stats are probably around the same win and lose percentages as McLeish, but my god Lambert has never put out a lineup like at Villa Park that day. Hutton and Heskey on midfield wings was it?

• Like 1

I will always remember this game. Lambert's stats are probably around the same win and lose percentages as McLeish, but my god Lambert has never put out a lineup like at Villa Park that day. Hutton and Heskey on midfield wings was it?

Something along those lines, it was an utter disgrace.

Something along those lines, it was an utter disgrace.

Spurs missed a bagful that night. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2064424/Tottenham-2-Aston-Villa-0-Emmanuel-Adebayor-double-sends-Spurs-third.html

The infamous X1 against Spurs in 2011: Given, Hutton, Warnock, Dunne, Collins, Cuellar (Bannan 63), Petrov, Herd (Delph 87), Bent, Agbonlahor, Heskey

McLeish played Hutton as a right midfielder. Heskey played on the other wing. Utterly mind boggling in every way. Say what you will about Lambert but he'd never pick so many defenders and play people out of position like that.

Still amazed we were not relegated. The team that year was abysmal.

• Like 1

Still amazed we were not relegated.

This. McLeish's only "tactic" seemed to be to try to draw every game (hopefully 0-0), get 38 points and hope that was enough. Terrible, Terrible manager. Terrible.

Edited by villa89

Didn't Lambert field six defenders in a game? He had Joe Bennett on the left wing.

Yes McLeish did it more but Lambert has played negative at times as well!

but its not negative when they include Baker and Bennett. Its encouraging the other team to attack ;)

• Like 1

Didn't Lambert field six defenders in a game? He had Joe Bennett on the left wing.

Joe Bennett has played left wing as has Bertrand. Hutton was never a RM, McLeish even stated after he played Cuellar and Hutton to stop Bale.

Edited by SikhInTrinity

McLeish had roughly the same number of points gained, goals scored, shots on target and possession % as Lambert at Villa. It's a bit hypocritical to have a go at him for his style of play. 

This is a perfect example of why stats don't tell the full story.

Lambert's stats are probably around the same win and lose percentages as McLeish

McLeish win percentage: 21%

Lambert win percentage: 32%

I'm off a bit then.

Lambert has been in charge of some shocking games, but still this man was the worst manager I have in living memory. Like a poor man's George Graham. Graham wanted to win 1-0 by scoring then parking the bus. McLeish didn't even want that.

Joe Bennett has played left wing as has Bertrand. Hutton was never a RM, McLeish even stated after he played Cuellar and Hutton to stop Bale.

Which was a terrible terrible idea.

He only thing I've ever written in terms of "articles" for VT was a report on that match, because it was so obvious how badly we'd set up.

I might try and find it actually if it's still on here

Edit: Here it is 

One of the worst games I've ever seen. Lambert's had some stinkers, but none as bad as that. Spurs could have scored however many they wanted that night.

Edited by Stevo985

• 3 years later...
Â