McLeish

chappy

35 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Yeah, I've definitely softened on McLeish over the years but he still started from a higher vantage point than Lambert and did a similarly poor job. That's not a rewrite of history, it's just reality.

Did he? A poor quality, pretty old squad. Lost best two creative players in the summer and had hundreds turn up at villa park to protest his appointment before he took his first training session. 

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Did he? A poor quality, pretty old squad. Lost best two creative players in the summer and had hundreds turn up at villa park to protest his appointment before he took his first training session. 

And then Lambert had that same squad that was depleted even further without having the same funds as he did to attempt to plug the holes.

They were both dealt shitty cards, but Lambert's was even shittier. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Ah, so you are arguing who did better, yet earlier you claimed you were not. See, confusing. :lol:

I get some think he did better, that wasn't the argument, it's the rewriting of history to determine this that i find amusing. 

The fact two managers can produce near enough identical results and yet how they are viewed is worlds apart by some. With all excuses laid out for one and not for the other. 

And it seems to be simply because 1 is not the other.

I'm not arguing who did better.  You asked, basically, why McLeish isn't viewed as favourably as Lambert - I've told you why.

If you don't want an answer because you don't like it, are going to argue with whatever the response is or just want to post sarcastic "well done you" crap, then perhaps refrain from asking in the first place. :thumb:

• Like 1

Those last few games under McLeish were particularly painful and just like under Eric Black I could not see us winning a game to secure safety. I seem to recall we drew our way to safety that season. If you were to compare that season as a running race, we fell over with 20 metres to go and literally crawled over the finish line before being passed by those behind.

• Like 1

On 20/02/2018 at 09:10, Keyblade said:

The Spurs game was without a doubt the worst game I ever witnessed. We might as well not have even turned up. Utterly humiliating watching us play Hutton and Heskey as our wingers and getting completely dominated as a result.

Followed closely behind this is the 4-0 FA Cup final defeat. The 8-0 to Chelsea is up there due to the humiliating scoreline, but it's not the worst because of the injury crisis we had and the team we fielded. With a back 5 of Lichaj, Herd, Clark, Baker, Lowton and a midfield of Bannan and Westwood, a 4-0 defeat is almost a Blessing.

I think the Bradford semi defeat is worse than that tbh. It's up there in the top 5. Brentford last year was another awful performance.

In some far away Internet universe WoodyTom is shouting Norwich away at you. :D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

I'm not arguing who did better.  You asked, basically, why McLeish isn't viewed as favourably as Lambert - I've told you why.

If you don't want an answer because you don't like it, are going to argue with whatever the response is or just want to post sarcastic "well done you" crap, then perhaps refrain from asking in the first place. :thumb:

Actually, i asked if history would be rewritten for mcleish as it was for lambert. You started going on about who did better, then said you aren't arguing who did better before once again saying you thought he did better.

If you can't respond without your usual style of adding a sly dig 'definite chip' crap then perhaps refrain from joining the discussion in the first place. :thumb:

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I suppose the argument would be to that is we still had a reasonable and experienced premier league spine. Given was seen as a good signing, it was expected Collins and Dunne could be motivated to be like 09-10, Petrov was actually having a good season before his horrible illness and Bent and Gabby were both still decent in 2011.

McLeish season panned out exactly as I expected. Endless draws, negative mindset and us in the bottom half although far closer to relegation than I thought. Bigger serious for me was how long it took for protests during a game.

At least it only lasted a year. The Lambert era went on and on and on and on and....I really thought it would never end and he'd still be managing us now.

• Like 2

I remember our squad at the start of the season being good enough to challenge for a top half finish if we had a positive manager. We lost Young and Downing which were huge blows but we had an emerging Albrighton and N'zogbia who lit it up with Wigan the previous season to soften the blow.

The problem was, McLeish was so negative that we ended up being in serious relegation danger rather than challenging for that top half. We had a joint PL record (tied with ourselves of course) of 17 draws that season, a good chunk of those being 0-0.

23 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I remember our squad at the start of the season being good enough to challenge for a top half finish if we had a positive manager. We lost Young and Downing which were huge blows but we had an emerging Albrighton and N'zogbia who lit it up with Wigan the previous season to soften the blow.

The problem was, McLeish was so negative that we ended up being in serious relegation danger rather than challenging for that top half. We had a joint PL record (tied with ourselves of course) of 17 draws that season, a good chunk of those being 0-0.

If Bent stayed fit we would have finished top half. With him out we had Gabby and Heskey as our strikers

• 8 months later...

Players asking to be left out of Scotland squads are showing "petulance" towards Alex McLeish and should never be picked again, believes Craig Brown.

Newcastle winger Matt Ritchie is the latest to ask to be left out of the squad head coach McLeish named this week for upcoming Nations League games.

Robert Snodgrass and Leigh Griffiths withdrew from recent squads, with James McArthur retiring to focus on his club.

"I see one or two lads say they don't want to play," Brown told BBC Scotland.

"From the outside it looks as though there is a bit of petulance there. They are not first choice on every occasion.

"If a player says that to you, then you don't want anything to do with them.

"Obviously the player wouldn't have his heart in it if he was to play for you. I think it would be understandable if you just ignore them."

McLeish said Ritchie's reasons for asking not to be considered for the games against Albania and Israel were "private" but "he has not retired".

"It is not something for me to discuss," McLeish said. "He had injury issues as well, and again, there is management of his injuries.

"You don't know everyone's private life so you have to respect that."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46135980

Players asking to be left out of Scotland squads are showing "petulance" towards Alex McLeish and should never be picked again, believes Craig Brown.

Newcastle winger Matt Ritchie is the latest to ask to be left out of the squad head coach McLeish named this week for upcoming Nations League games.

Robert Snodgrass and Leigh Griffiths withdrew from recent squads, with James McArthur retiring to focus on his club.

"I see one or two lads say they don't want to play," Brown told BBC Scotland.

"From the outside it looks as though there is a bit of petulance there. They are not first choice on every occasion.

"If a player says that to you, then you don't want anything to do with them.

"Obviously the player wouldn't have his heart in it if he was to play for you. I think it would be understandable if you just ignore them."

McLeish said Ritchie's reasons for asking not to be considered for the games against Albania and Israel were "private" but "he has not retired".

"It is not something for me to discuss," McLeish said. "He had injury issues as well, and again, there is management of his injuries.

"You don't know everyone's private life so you have to respect that."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46135980

Can hardly blame them.

Edited by rodders0223

Â