McLeish

chappy

43 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

McLeish had a far superior team, budget and starting position than Lambert and was only here for one season. 

You need to take the Lambert shaped chip off your shoulder. 

This is the rewriting i'm on about. That first summer was nothing but praise and adulation for the transfer approach we took under lambert. 

And mcleish took over the team that lost Young and Downing, lambert didn't lose key players like that. 

Nothing about a chip. Just find it funny how the narrative changes for lambert just because he isn't mcleish

McLeish had a terrible injury crisis though, Petrov, Bent, Dunne, Given were missing for large parts of season and the reason we entered a relegation battle playing youngsters like Weimann, Lichaj, Gardner and Herd who all were raw. e.g. this is the team in the Chelsea game 12 youth team products I counted

Aston Villa: Given, Lichaj, Collins, Baker, Warnock, Gardner, Herd (Albrighton 70), Agbonlahor, Ireland, Bannan, Weimann (Heskey 82).

Subs Not Used: Guzan, Johnson, Williams, Carruthers, Grealish

11 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Appointing McLeish I still the strangest thing Villa have done in my lifetime. 

I do not understand why they did it. 

It was bonkers but we'd already gone for other managers and it hadn't happened so down to 3rd/4th choice and you always get strange choices like Stoke appointing Lambert.

He'd relegated SHA but he'd also won them a cup and finished 9th the previous season so only defence is the board thought he could maybe do that here but that would've been a very optimistic viewpoint given the hostility at his appointment.

Anyway I actually think he might be a decent appointment. Let's be honest McLeish's negative tactics are made for international football where many teams outside the elite just set up to defend and nick a goal from a set piece...see Norther Ireland, Republic of Ireland and even Wales in last 5 years.

He did well in his last spell there although that was over ten years ago now and his career was on the up then.

Scotland do have some decent players in their squad. Their problem has always been mentality as they are the masters at snatching draws and defeats from jaws of victory.

Edited by VillaChris

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

THAT Spurs game was as bad as anyone has produced since. Even Sherwood.

I don't care if it was only 2-0. That's one of the worst performances I've ever seen.

As bad as Chelsea 8-0?

Interesting talking about the Spurs game, the home game we had with them right at the end of that season had an even worse line up imo. Heskey was our starting striker that day, we had just Ireland (and maybe N'zogbia supporting them) and pretty much everyone else was a defender. Warnock in central midfield with Chris Herd etc.

Edited by VillaChris

On 2/17/2018 at 22:39, Zatman said:

McLeish had a terrible injury crisis though, Petrov, Bent, Dunne, Given were missing for large parts of season and the reason we entered a relegation battle playing youngsters like Weimann, Lichaj, Gardner and Herd who all were raw. e.g. this is the team in the Chelsea game 12 youth team products I counted

That was an injury crisis. Lambert had a similar team as his strongest side. I don't even want to quote the team we used when he had an injury crisis during the 0-15 run in December *shudder*

On 2/17/2018 at 23:49, VillaChris said:

As bad as Chelsea 8-0?

Honestly yes.

Obviously the 8-0 was a terrible result and performance. But something about the Spurs game just sucked the life out of me. I don't think I've ever felt so angry after a game.

Maybe I was still thinking that we should be better than we were. Whereas by the time we lost 8-0 to Chelsea I was used to us being terrible so it didn't feel as bad.

On 2/17/2018 at 16:01, DCJonah said:

This is the rewriting i'm on about. That first summer was nothing but praise and adulation for the transfer approach we took under lambert. 

And mcleish took over the team that lost Young and Downing, lambert didn't lose key players like that. 

Nothing about a chip. Just find it funny how the narrative changes for lambert just because he isn't mcleish

Lambert did better than McLeish with less.  He didn't do better than McLeish just because he wasn't McLeish.  It's a definite chip.

That said, McLeish was the first manager to feel the full force of asset stripping at our club.  I do feel for him in that regard.  His style of play was horrendous but, with hindsight, I think he was attempting to make use of the strongest part of our squad at that time.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Lambert did better than McLeish with less.  He didn't do better than McLeish just because he wasn't McLeish.  It's a definite chip.

That said, McLeish was the first manager to feel the full force of asset stripping at our club.  I do feel for him in that regard.  His style of play was horrendous but, with hindsight, I think he was attempting to make use of the strongest part of our squad at that time.

Who said the argument was who did better? You've just invented that. Well done you. 

They are both shit stains on the club. Both contributed to the downfall and both were terrible managers for us. Not about who did better. The fact one is slaughtered and one is credited. Shows the bias and it's massively down to the fact lambert replaced someone as hated as mcleish

41 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Then followed it up with a 4-0 and 3-0

15-0 over a run of 3 games.

Terrible. Way worse than anything mcleish did.

Yeah i remember. How can anyone defend him for that? That was absolutely disgusting 

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Honestly yes.

Obviously the 8-0 was a terrible result and performance. But something about the Spurs game just sucked the life out of me. I don't think I've ever felt so angry after a game.

Was this the game he played 3 right backs to combat bale with herd operating as a 4th auxillary right back? 

Didn't have a shot on target iirc

• Like 1

Just now, Jimzk5 said:

Was this the game he played 3 right backs to combat bale with herd operating as a 4th auxillary right back? 

Didn't have a shot on target iirc

He played wingers of Hutton and Heskey.

Darren Bent and Gabby up top, completely and utterly isolated.

We could still be playing now and I doubt we'd have had a shot on target.

Strange to look back at that McLeish season and see that we “only” lost 14 games that season. Two thirds of those were to the top six clubs as well. Of course, the 7 wins and endless draws are pathetic.

Both Lambert and McLeish were rubbish. I think we all knew McLeish would be poor so it didn’t come as much of s surprise. I had genuine hope for us under Lambert and I remember defending him a lot more at the time (many times when I really shouldn’t have done). Which is probably why I look back at his tenure with slightly more disdain than  McLeish’s.

Again, both were rubbish.

• Like 1

Â