Malky Mackay and Iain Moody

samjp26

I hope this destabilises Palace as much as possible (and I think it will as they are struggling to attract a manager), as we could do with a few clubs imploding to keep us out of trouble. Its such a pain in the ar*e to get to their ground from Brum too; I certainly won't be shedding a tear when they are relegated.

Wasn't it three racist messages out of thousands?

so?
So that suggests it isn't entrenched him and more his stupid attempt of humour? If there were hundreds of messaging or constant racist slurs then I'd see how he could be deemed as an NF or KKK member.

:lol: wait so person of colour is offensive, but nobody should be offended by those text messages? K.

It was a joke. Also where did I say people shouldn't be offended?

Also aren't we all people of colour? I'm surprised you see yourself that way.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

so?

So that suggests it isn't entrenched him and more his stupid attempt of humour? If there were hundreds of messaging or constant racist slurs then I'd see how he could be deemed as an NF or KKK member.

For most of us these kind of attitudes are not funny, not 3 times not ever. 

• Like 1

so?

For most of us these kind of attitudes are not funny, not 3 times not ever.

Of course they are not and he messed up big time. But the fact is the Cardiff team were not all white. His stupid racist joke did not affect his work decisions.

What a scumbag:

Malky Mackay called Cardiff City's Malaysian owner Vincent Tan a 'chink'

Sportsmail can reveal a further tranche of offensive texts and emails between former Cardiff manager Malky Mackay and club official Iain Moody.

In the most disturbing message, Mackay calls Cardiff’s Malaysian owner Vincent Tan a ‘chink’.

On another extraordinary day of drama in the wake of Sportsmail’s exclusive revelations, Mackay appeared on TV to deliver a personal apology for his previous abusive texts. As the affair reverberated across football, Cardiff City called for League Managers Association chief executive Richard Bevan to resign after his organisation dismissed Mackay’s behaviour as ‘friendly text message banter’.

Both apologies came before Friday's latest incendiary revelations, and the texts published now raise further questions about how Mackay and the LMA have responded to the furore.

The LMA insisted Mackay had sent only two offensive messages, when in fact there were three listed in the two letters sent by Cardiff’s lawyers to the FA in the past eight days. Mackay admitted to three in his interview on Friday night, even though he will be aware that the club is in possession of more. Sportsmail has discovered details of four more messages recovered during Cardiff’s £750,000 investigation into club transfer business, three of which were sent by Mackay and include the offensive reference to Cardiff’s owner.

Mackay has already admitted referring to Korea midfielder Kim Bo-kyung and his representatives as ‘fkn chinkys’.

On June 5 last year, Mackay, then manager of Cardiff, contacted the club’s head of recruitment, Moody, about a player they were trying to sign. A message was sent from Mackay’s phone that read: ‘Not taking no for an answer from the chink until the 20th time or unless somebody big blows us out of the water. Can you tell him that.’

Tan controlled club finances at the time and investigators at Cardiff are understood to be confident it is Tan to whom Mackay refers.

A week later came another illuminating exchange, offering what appears to be a startling observation about Mackay. At the time, Mackay was concerned that a player they were pursuing had been linked with a rival club. He relayed his feelings to Moody, who replied: ‘He told me he had an offer to go there but will never accept because the manager is a racist. Thankfully he hasn’t met you.’

Sportsmail has also been made aware of a note Mackay is claimed to have attached to an email in September 2012.

It is understood the former Watford manager was inadvertently forwarded an email from a gay season-ticket holder at Vicarage Road, who had contacted that club complaining of feeling intimidated by homophobic chants during a match between Watford and Brighton. Mackay is said to have forwarded the email to Moody, apparently declaring ironically: ‘A must read!!’

Finally, a reference to a female colleague in an exchange of emails does not reflect well on Mackay either. Mackay had complained that the trouser press in his hotel room was not working. One colleague suggests he get a female colleague to fix it. ‘She can’t,’ Mackay replied. She’s shovelling **** for my roses.’

On Friday night, Sportsmail tried to put the latest revelations to Bevan as Mackay’s representative, without success.

Mackay went on Sky Sports News last night and made what he described as an unreserved apology for the ‘three messages’ he sent. He said he was not ‘racist, anti-Semitic, homophobic or sexist’. A chastened Mackay also said ‘banter’ was not a word he would have used, suggesting he allowed the LMA to send the apology without first letting him read it.

He sought to distance himself from Moody, who resigned as Crystal Palace’s sporting director in the wake of Sportsmail’s revelations, stressing that he had merely received many of the messages.

Mackay also denied any wrongdoing in the transfer market, mistakenly believing he is the subject of an FA investigation into transfers at Cardiff. At this stage the FA have only received information regarding text messages.

He said: ‘Out of 10,000 text messages in and out of someone’s phone I have sent three and they are completely unacceptable, inappropriate. For that I sincerely apologise. I did it in a period when I was under immense pressure. That doesn’t excuse anything.’

Mackay also said he would be ‘asking about equality and diversity training’, while insisting he would ‘come back from this’.

Sportsmail’s revelations will provide further questions for Mackay and Moody to answer should an FA investigation end with a charge. Yesterday the FA did not respond to developments, in particular the ill-advised apology issued on Mackay’s behalf on Thursday, to avoid prejudicing their investigation. But Sportsmail understands there is a real appetite at the FA to pursue the case.

The LMA, and in particular Bevan, came under huge pressure yesterday after daring to dismiss Mackay’s racism as ‘banter’. The use of the word sparked widespread anger among anti-racism campaigners and eventually led to an apology for the initial apology, issued yesterday morning, by the LMA.

A statement from the LMA said: ‘The LMA apologises for some of its wording, in its release yesterday, which was inappropriate and has been perceived to trivialise matters of a racist, sexist or homophobic nature. That was certainly not our intention.

‘Any comments that are discriminatory, even used in private, are totally unacceptable. The LMA will not be commenting further on the allegations relating to Malky Mackay whilst The FA conducts its investigation.’

That, however, did not satisfy Cardiff, who said: ‘The LMA is the representative voice of managers, and whilst we understand it seeks to act in the best interests of its members, one of its major aims is to “encourage honourable practice, conduct and courtesy in all professional activity”.

‘Regrettably, we feel that the LMA has done no such thing in its representation of Mr Mackay and Mr Moody. The LMA were aware of the allegations from the morning of the search order, and their lawyers acted for Mr Mackay and Mr Moody throughout the legal process.

‘That the LMA has sought to criticise the Club for the timing of the report to the FA is preposterous, because the offensive communications have been in the possession of the LMA for many months. When the messages came to light, over three months ago, the Club strongly encouraged and advised Mr Moody and Mr Mackay to deal with the issue directly with the FA. It was made clear to them, and their LMA appointed lawyers, that the nature of the communications meant the Club was under a duty to report their findings to the FA if they did not take appropriate action them-selves. Nevertheless, with the backing of the LMA, Mr Moody and Mr Mackay chose to do nothing.

‘The LMA were therefore complicit in the attempt to conceal these messages (of which there were many more than the two acknowledged by Mr Mackay).

‘We also point out that the LMA members have a ‘‘Code of Conduct’’ incorporated into their managerial contracts. One of the requirements is “A Manager shall not use racist or other discriminatory language”. We therefore find it entirely reprehensible that the LMA should itself put out a statement which seeks to dismiss deeply offensive racist comments as “friendly banter”.

‘If that is the view held by the LMA, as appears from its statement, we consider that Richard Bevan’s position is untenable and we call for his resignation.’

To add to the pressure, Leroy Rosenior, one of England’s few black managers, has threatened to resign from the LMA. He said: ‘If the LMA are going back into the dark ages to support people then I might have to withdraw my support.

‘In over 70,000 text messages I’ve sent I’ve never used inappropriate language and I’m sure neither have the vast majority of people.

‘I know the LMA are trying to protect their member, but in doing so I feel they are almost abusing another member, like myself.’

Today’s revelations will pile further pressure on Mackay and Moody and will also add fuel to those calling for Bevan to step down.

link

Fact is in my last job I had to sign a contract which stated if there was any misuse of the company phone - I.E, any texts that could harm the profile of the company etc then I would lose my job.

I didn't use my company phone for talking shit, even though my boss was a word removed, I saved that for my personal phone! And my texts didn't include any racism or anything homophobic either.

• Like 1

You just know the Mail have more messages. They are just spreading them out to sell more papers and let people go in the trap excusing Mackay before they release even worse messages.

LMA has gone in the trap, as has Harry Redknapp.

• Like 3

You just know the Mail have more messages. They are just spreading them out to sell more papers and let people go in the trap excusing Mackay before they release even worse messages.

Yep, I agree with this. It makes them look bigger and better if they can prove the LMA/Redknapp wrong.

Yep. Journalism 101. Never put all your eggs in one basket. I imagine more stories from this scandal. Some in the LMA must now resign.

I haven't followed this whole shitstorm. Did Tan get Mackay's company phone forensically checked for old messages and then wait until he looked like getting a new job before revealing all?

Â