Malky Mackay and Iain Moody

samjp26

I know plenty of gay people, jewish people, muslim people, arabic  people, white people, black people and chinese people, and I'll still laugh at a funny gag that happens to be based around stereotyping - because it's a gag. I genuinely couldn't care less who you screw, what colour you are or what you believe in (once it's not affecting others negatively, such as in the case of religious extremism), but a well executed joke with a solid setup that plays on commonly held stereotyping is still bloody well funny

‘Not many white faces amongst that lot, but worth considering.’ 

Which bit of the above do you consider to be a well-executed joke with a solid setup that plays commonly on stereotyping? 

• Like 4

Why didn't you like Linekers comment?

After Senderos's dominating performance during the game it was uncharitable of Lineker to leave us with the impression he is submissive and weak, which he generated by implying an over-intimacy with Vlaar.

Get outa here!

If Lineker had said they were as solid as a gay couple ... I'd have had no problem with that. It was the implied level of intimacy in the relationship, nibbling or whatever, that was totally taking the piss. No place for ear nibbling in the centre of defence. Typical of pundits who want to keep Villa down.

Edited by Con

After Senderos's dominating performance during the game it was uncharitable of Lineker to leave us with the impression he is submissive and weak, which he generated by implying an over-intimacy with Vlaar.

Get outa here!

If Lineker had said they were as solid as a gay couple ... I'd have had no problem with that. It was the implied level of intimacy in the relationship, nibbling or whatever, that was totally taking the piss. No place for ear nibbling in the centre of defence. Typical of pundits who want to keep Villa down.

I'd say that your assumption that homosexuality equates to weakness or submissiveness is far worse than anything that Lineker may have suggested. 

Get outa here!

I'd say that your assumption that homosexuality equates to weakness or submissiveness is far worse than anything that Lineker may have suggested. 

Except I didn't say that.  

the impression he is submissive and weak, which he generated by implying an over-intimacy with Vlaar.

I know plenty of gay people, jewish people, muslim people, arabic people, white people, black people and chinese people, and I'll still laugh at a funny gag that happens to be based around stereotyping - because it's a gag. I genuinely couldn't care less who you screw, what colour you are or what you believe in (once it's not affecting others negatively, such as in the case of religious extremism), but a well executed joke with a solid setup that plays on commonly held stereotyping is still bloody well funny

‘Not many white faces amongst that lot, but worth considering.’

Which bit of the above do you consider to be a well-executed joke with a solid setup that plays commonly on stereotyping?

Where did I say anything I said referred to Moody? I was commenting on the point made that people mean and believe everything they say

the LMA comments are a disgrace as well and this will only increase the Sol Campbell/John Barnes complaints about management in England

as for forgiving, I dont see Big Ron ever getting a job again and he did a lot less and he was 10 times the manager of this Mackay clown

Yes, yes they do. If they didn't why would they say/use them? Especially to the extent of these guys, abusing employees and such.

Without context it's impossible to know. I'm Irish and have told my fair share of thick paddy jokes, doesn't make me anti Irish. Some people find humour in the un-PCness comments that they don't believe in the slightest. Unfortunately text is a tricky medium to convey intent through, and there's no way of knowing the tone intended for the comments. They don't look good, that's for sure, and there's enough of them to suggest a pattern there.

I just don't think that saying something or using a term makes someone anything-ist or anything-ophobic.

I know plenty of gay people, jewish people, muslim people, arabic  people, white people, black people and chinese people, and I'll still laugh at a funny gag that happens to be based around stereotyping - because it's a gag. I genuinely couldn't care less who you screw, what colour you are or what you believe in (once it's not affecting others negatively, such as in the case of religious extremism), but a well executed joke with a solid setup that plays on commonly held stereotyping is still bloody well funny

I pretty much agree with this, but there is a difference between general jokes based on stereotypes and something aimed a individual persons. 

the LMA comments are a disgrace as well and this will only increase the Sol Campbell/John Barnes complaints about management in England

as for forgiving, I dont see Big Ron ever getting a job again and he did a lot less and he was 10 times the manager of this Mackay clown

It's really different though. If you're a top 50 manager in the UK, then chances are a top outside the top 50 would be more than happy to have you. Being a football pundit's not going to make a difference to ITV or whatever financially, it'll only bring negativity from the media.

Redknapp's view is fair enough, we do need to get some perspective. How often are child abusers outed in the game? 

“He’s not murdered anyone, he’s not a rapist or a paedophile. He’s made a big mistake. It shouldn’t finish his life or his football career. It’s going to take time for him to get back into the game. People get second chances in life who have committed bad crimes. Why shouldn’t he? He’s made a mistake but we’re not going to hang him for it, are we? Given time his life has to go on. Hopefully he’ll learn from the silly mistakes he’s made.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/aug/22/harry-redknapp-malky-mackay

If you have a choice between a manager that's a racist but won't let any child abusers anywhere near the club and a manager that's not racist but turns a blind eye to things, I know what manager I'd rather have in the game. At least we can openly laugh at the racist for being stupid. 

'Arry has offered his view:

"He's not a rapist or a paedophile"

Well that's ok then. Case closed. Cheers 'Arry.

Neither was Hitler!

5 pages until we got to Hitler, not bad.

Some of his Nazi subordinates were. The Nazis weren't just racist. 

Redknapp's view is fair enough, we do need to get some perspective. How often are child abusers outed in the game? 

“He’s not murdered anyone, he’s not a rapist or a paedophile. He’s made a big mistake. It shouldn’t finish his life or his football career. It’s going to take time for him to get back into the game. People get second chances in life who have committed bad crimes. Why shouldn’t he? He’s made a mistake but we’re not going to hang him for it, are we? Given time his life has to go on. Hopefully he’ll learn from the silly mistakes he’s made.

If you have a choice between a manager that's a racist but won't let any child abusers anywhere near the club and a manager that's not racist but turns a blind eye to things, I know what manager I'd rather have in the game. At least we can openly laugh at the racist for being stupid. 

What, in the blue hell, are you talking about?

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 3

'Arry's quote.

'Arry's quote.

Yes, I understand that.

But surely not even you can believe what you've written there.

You've invented a hypothetical comparison and somehow used it to defend Malky because he's not a paedophile.

So weird.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 3

Yes, I understand that.

You've invented a hypothetical comparison and somehow used it to defend Malky because he's not a paedophile.

So weird.

Taking my cue from what Redknapp said about rapists and pedophiles.

Whilst football in the UK has not had much in the way of sexual abuse scandal it is not an impossible hypothetical.

Recent scandals in America have shown sexual abuse in sport is not something we should be complacent against.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/penn-state-sexual-abuse-scandal

http://www.childhelp.org/blog/entry/ongoing-fallout-from-usa-swimming-child-sex-abuse-scandal-highlights-need-f/

This in no way justifies what Mackay did but the point of raising it is to put what he did in perspective. He is a "family man" and a good guy other than being a racist.

Edited by Con

Yes, I understand that.

So weird.

Taking my cue from what Redknapp said about rapists and pedophiles.

Whilst football in the UK has not had much in the way of sexual abuse scandal it is not an impossible hypothetical.

Recent scandals in America have shown sexual abuse in sport is not something we should be complacent against.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/penn-state-sexual-abuse-scandal

http://www.childhelp.org/blog/entry/ongoing-fallout-from-usa-swimming-child-sex-abuse-scandal-highlights-need-f/

This in no way justifies what Mackay did but the point of raising it is to put what he did in perspective. He is a "family man" and a good guy other than being a racist.

But what you've said is, that given the choice of Manager A (Malky) who is a racist but not a paedophile and Manager B (somebody who is imaginary) who is not a racist but is a paedophile, you'd rather Manager A.

Which I agree with. Of course. I'd rather a racist than a paedophile.

However, no managers, as far as we know fall into the category of Manager B. So you can't use this as a basis to defend Makay. Otherwise you're basically saying you can do whatever the **** you like, as long as you don't abuse children.

Yes, if the discussion you are having is whether we'd all prefer a racist or a paedophile, then your point is valid.

But that's totally removed from this topic, and basically irrelevant to anything as I'm not sure that situation exists in Football.

• Like 1

Â