Tom Fox

Cracker1234

Chief executive Tom Fox also believes Garde will be at Villa for the long haul after replacing Tim Sherwood in November.

He added: "We are building something special and Remi Garde is a massive part of what we are trying to build."

This was quoted from ssn website which they posted on 2/1/16

I'm starting to warm towards the idea that Collymore has, unfortunately, conveyed with too much vigour.

Promoting one man who appears to have earned it is acceptable. Whether that be Fox or another. Putting the future of the football club, a club in a severe state of disarray solely in the hands of three men inexperienced in the roles they are being asked to fulfill is ludicrous.

Presumably Tom Fox has to take some of the responsibility for that. Despite a refresh were are still rotten, clearly. No experienced "football men" at a high level was a monumental error in judgement. But ultimately the buck stops with one man.

Randy Lerner take a bow son. You finally bought maybe a million people to their knees.

• Like 4

I really really wanted to believe all the shite that Fox was spouting in his initial interviews. The guy is an idiot though, well when it comes to football decisions anyway. There's no way he should be running a football club. Doing the money side of things... great, crack on, but leave the football side of things to someone else.

I do wonder how different our whole situation would have been had Lerner not sacked Steve Stride all those years ago and let him have a say in football matters. 

I don't blame Fox, he inherited a dire situation too. He too needs some time too, the decisions he has made need time to reveal their merit or otherwise. 

I do believe we need a non-executive footballing advisory role for a "Villa man" however, as a counter balance.

Again, this all falls back on Lerner. Anyone would jump at the chance to take a promotion and thats exactly what Fox has done however it is clear that he is out of his depth when it comes to making actual footballing decisions and should have been complimented by someone (Stan Collymore :P) with a bit of footballing knowledge.

The issue is of course Fox was brought in for his commercial skills and I doubt he would have left Arsenal for us to take on the same role.

6 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I don't blame Fox, he inherited a dire situation too. He too needs some time too, the decisions he has made need time to reveal their merit or otherwise. 

I do believe we need a non-executive footballing advisory role for a "Villa man" however, as a counter balance.

He left it too late to sack Lambert and ended up with Sherwood. He also put together our transfer commitee. Those decisions have played a major part in relegating us as one of the worst villa teams in history. 

I'm not sure I want to see what his other decisions lead to.

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He left it too late to sack Lambert and ended up with Sherwood. He also put together our transfer commitee. Those decisions have played a major part in relegating us as one of the worst villa teams in history. 

I just don't subscribe to this. I think Lambert was sacked when it was looking hopeless. Sherwood kept us up so that decision was vindicated. I think Sherwood was the wrong appointment but that easy in retrospect.

In theory the transfer committee has done a good job - Ayew, Amavi, Adama, Veretout, even Gana seem decent signings. With the budget available and the number of players we needed who else were we goin to buy? Salaries and transfer fees of existing PL players would have been far higher. We needed 4-5 £20m players to stop the rot. It's the year on year of under investment, the poor player contract management and wasted funds on unknown shite due to penny pinching that has fu cked us over. None of that was on Fox's watch. 

Didnt Fox do the deal with Delph last January when he could've walked for nothing? At least he saved the club £12m, whatever you think of that one.

• Like 2

I just don't subscribe to this. I think Lambert was sacked when it was looking hopeless. Sherwood kept us up so that decision was vindicated. I think Sherwood was the wrong appointment but that easy in retrospect.

In theory the transfer committee has done a good job - Ayew, Amavi, Adama, Veretout, even Gana seem decent signings. With the budget available and the number of players we needed who else were we goin to buy? Salaries and transfer fees of existing PL players would have been far higher. We needed 4-5 £20m players to stop the rot. It's the year on year of under investment, the poor player contract management and wasted funds on unknown shite due to penny pinching that has fu cked us over. None of that was on Fox's watch. 

Didnt Fox do the deal with Delph last January when he could've walked for nothing? At least he saved the club £12m, whatever you think of that one.

*** end quote

Bang on.

I think his only real mistake so far was hiring Sherwood, the knock on effects of which (poor preseason, hiring Wilkins, no tactics, chopping and changing 11, loss of confidence) have **** this season.

You can apportion blame as much as you like, but we are in this sorry position because of Lerner's stupid decisions. That is where the blame lies, but unfortunately he wants out just as much as we want him out, so we are wasting our time.

19 minutes ago, thunderball said:

The damage was done well before Fox but he's just added to it. 

You can't say the Sherwood appointment was vindicated, all it did was delay relegation by 12 months. And while there were limitations to our spending the transfer committee have assembled one of the worst squads in premier league history. At the moment, its got the potential to be the worst. 

Fox has played his part in our demise, what was slow and steady death has now become a suicidal plummet since his involvement with the club. 

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 1

The assertion that the transfer committee has assembled the worst squad in PL history is just plain wrong, they added players who most on here would say have been decent performers, they have improved the squad, but those existing squad players under contracts at the time were not "assembled" by them , but inherited. 

I would agree that Sherwood did not work out, so maybe it could be argued that wasn't vindicated, however my view is that maybe it could've worked out if Liverpool had not activated Bentekes release, which precipitated Delph and Cleverly's departure, maybe things would've worked out differently for Sherwood, which would have vindicated his appointment. Fox's brief from Lerner is "tread water until I sell up", don't forget it looked like we would be sold before the Summer, it's hard to pull up trees when the owner won't sanction the necessary investment to improve a dire situation.

@maqroll - that's why Fox extended Lamberts Contract, in order to maintain the status quo, and present stability to prospective buyers. We don't know what the terms of that contract was, nor the release clause. It may have been great business.

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, thunderball said:

@maqroll - that's why Fox extended Lamberts Contract, in order to maintain the status quo, and present stability to prospective buyers.

Is this knowledge or speculation?

39 minutes ago, thunderball said:

The assertion that the transfer committee has assembled the worst squad in PL history is just plain wrong, they added players who most on here would say have been decent performers, they have improved the squad, but those existing squad players under contracts at the time were not "assembled" by them , but inherited. 

I would agree that Sherwood did not work out, so maybe it could be argued that wasn't vindicated, however my view is that maybe it could've worked out if Liverpool had not activated Bentekes release, which precipitated Delph and Cleverly's departure, maybe things would've worked out differently for Sherwood, which would have vindicated his appointment. Fox's brief from Lerner is "tread water until I sell up", don't forget it looked like we would be sold before the Summer, it's hard to pull up trees when the owner won't sanction the necessary investment to improve a dire situation.

@maqroll - that's why Fox extended Lamberts Contract, in order to maintain the status quo, and present stability to prospective buyers. We don't know what the terms of that contract was, nor the release clause. It may have been great business.

The players inherited are shit but this transfer committee added a large number to it. And while there's been a few decent performers its quite clear that on the whole this bunch is one of the worst squads in premier league history. 

Things may have been different but that's a maybe, facts are that it hasn't been different. It's been abysmal. 

Lerner will always be the root cause of our problems but fox has done nothing to improve us, he's contributed to the downfall of the club. 

1 minute ago, maqroll said:

Is this knowledge or speculation?

Speculation. 

However Fox's brief as CEO is of course is to take care of business and shore up the assets, and by Fox's own admission, he ensured that Employee contracts were tidied up to ensure consolidation and stability (clearly with a nod to any prospective sale). Lerner needed to present a solid proposition to prospective buyers who were being courted and having no stability in such an important appointment would be unacceptable, if it was a public company such a fundamental company position would need clarity or clear succession strategy if the incumbents contract was due. We don't know the terms of that contract but it would very likely contain a performance clause with diminished compensation in the event of determination, or even an agreed compensation in the event that an new owner wanted him replaced that would be priced into the clubs value.

Â