Star Wars: Disney Era

Ginko

I took “introduce new characters from a corner of the galaxy that Star Wars lore has never before explored” to mean "we're making up what ever the **** we want, focusing on the shit that will sell the most merch". It took, what, 10 years for some people to start getting tired of comic book movies? How long until we get tired of Star Wars ones?

• Like 1

They released Star Wars branded fruit (Yoda grapes etc) and light saber lipstick for Force Awakens, so I'm not sure how much lower they can go on merchandising.

I do think Star Wars will lose its sheen being an annual franchise. I'm not the biggest Star Wars fan but I can acknowledge they had a special feeling about them, there weren't many of them with years between them and so on. Churning them out makes them lose that special sheen. Especially when they start fiddling with things - a Solo prequel just seems like a cash in, filling gaps that don't need filling to let them use a popular character again. I'd have more faith if they did brand new stories, or if they must fill in gaps, do things like Rogue One, where there's a gap for a story with only cameo appearances of established names. Instead they'll just bank on doing 'the untold story of that character you all love and remember!' over and over.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Chindie said:

They released Star Wars branded fruit (Yoda grapes etc) and light saber lipstick for Force Awakens, so I'm not sure how much lower they can go on merchandising.

I do think Star Wars will lose its sheen being an annual franchise. I'm not the biggest Star Wars fan but I can acknowledge they had a special feeling about them, there weren't many of them with years between them and so on. Churning them out makes them lose that special sheen. Especially when they start fiddling with things - a Solo prequel just seems like a cash in, filling gaps that don't need filling to let them use a popular character again. I'd have more faith if they did brand new stories, or if they must fill in gaps, do things like Rogue One, where there's a gap for a story with only cameo appearances of established names. Instead they'll just bank on doing 'the untold story of that character you all love and remember!' over and over.

Agreed.

I was a huge Star Wars fan when I was a kid. For me the first 3 films were magic.

Now it's pure entertainment but I do kinda like the 2 Disney films so far. And that the first one was a homage to Star Wars is a good thing for me.

Back in the 70's and early 80's you could buy anything and everything with a Star Wars logo (in the states) so as you say it's always been about the merch. A bit like KISS.

I just might skip on the "Young Han Solo" , Boba Fett or Jabba in tha Hood movies thou.

Perhaps they can do a reboot and start from scratch again like Marvel and DC? :D

10 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

I'd like to see a rom-com set in the Star Wars universe.

Working title - "Looking for love in Alderaan places".

With lots of "stroke my wookie" jokes?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, theboyangel said:

The Old Republic could be a good source of material for a spinoff tv series. 

There's something in the pipeline for 2019 by all accounts. I'm sure I read there are 50 odd scripts that Lucas was working on for a spin off TV show, called Star Wars Underworld.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

There's something in the pipeline for 2019 by all accounts. I'm sure I read there are 50 odd scripts that Lucas was working on for a spin off TV show, called Star Wars Underworld.

Yeah, I heard up to 100 episode scrips had been storyboarded for a Live Action TV series. As Star Wars 'Underworld,' I would expect that be a face off between smugglers and Bounty Hunters. Would love to see Naa Shadaa in film - I imagine it a bit like the original Bladerunner in atmosphere.

I think the new trilogy that Rian Johnson has been awarded will be Old Republic era - be prepared for amazing 'Lord Of The Rings' scale Jedi v Sith battles - the contrast of light blue sabres against a swathe of red ones. The Sacking Of Coruscant, and Malgus The Betrayer... and a bit of swticheroo Revan for good measure.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 18/11/2017 at 03:21, Villan_of_oz said:

Ink masters 'tatooine' edition.....

I'm all for it given that i've booked in to get a Star Wars tattoo next month!

I have my first ever midnight screening ticket for Thursday at 12.01 and I can't wait. There are no reviews out yet but the initial reactions are building it up enormously.

• Like 1

Â