Finals

limpid

What I find sad is that this could be the last time I see a lot of these players at a World Cup.

Kuyt is 33 now, don't see him playing another one, have my doubts about the Euros.

Sneijder, Van Persie and Robben are all 30 now, at 34 they may be around but it may be pushing it.

Van Dar Vaart who missed out is 31, don't expect to see him at another, nor Heitinga who I had a lot of respect for at Ajax.

If this isn't the end of an era, we're on the verge of it.

The Dutch have many good players coming through, maybe not upfront but certainly in the defensive and midfield positions.

• Like 1

What I find sad is that this could be the last time I see a lot of these players at a World Cup.

Kuyt is 33 now, don't see him playing another one, have my doubts about the Euros.

Sneijder, Van Persie and Robben are all 30 now, at 34 they may be around but it may be pushing it.

Van Dar Vaart who missed out is 31, don't expect to see him at another, nor Heitinga who I had a lot of respect for at Ajax.

I've had a similar, albeit more personal realisation too.   I'm 35 now and it dawned on me that this will probably be the last World Cup somebody who was born in the 1970s (like me) will score in. The first World Cup I remember is Mexico 86 but the first one I really watched was Italia 90 & since then people from my decade have scored in every world cup. I doubt any will in Russia. 

• Like 1

Luiz is actually a good footballer, but he is just not a defender. He's a midfielder, look at all the positions he takes up during the game, always really far forward.

I think the reason he can't be trusted in midfield either is because of his Stevie G style walkabouts.  He is a fabulous individual talent, but the problem is that it seems he thinks he can do what he wants, when he wants. Maybe he hasn't had the right manager to instill discipline in him, but if Jose Mourinho can't do it (and he got Samuel Eto'o at his peak to play on the wing for Inter!) then who can? 

The Dutch have many good players coming through, maybe not upfront but certainly in the defensive and midfield positions.

Seems we have one of the other, good defenders or good attackers.

They've got Jürgen Locadia up front, he's got great potential. Only 20 though, so see how he goes.

Edited by AVFCforever1991

I've had a similar, albeit more personal realisation too.   I'm 35 now and it dawned on me that this will probably be the last World Cup somebody who was born in the 1970s (like me) will score in. The first World Cup I remember is Mexico 86 but the first one I really watched was Italia 90 & since then people from my decade have scored in every world cup. I doubt any will in Russia. 

Interesting perspective. I am 27 so this world cup where I am same age as the average world cup player. Russia 2018 I will be 31. Without being pedantic, I dont think any players born in the 70s would have scored in Italia 90, but I may be wrong.

Edited by Voinjama

The cheering from the crowd is really high pitch. Is the stadium full of kids and women.

I've thought that every Brazil game. All you hear is a scream whenever they attack. I take it they don't let many ultras in the ground. Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Interesting perspective. I am 27 so this world cup where I am same age as the average world cup player. Russia 2018 I will be 31. Without being pedantic, I dont think any players born in the 70s would have scored in Italia 90, but I may be wrong.

I've gone and checked.  I assumed there would be a teenage goalscorer at Italia 90, and I was correct!  Ronald Gonzales born in 1970 and he scored against Czechoslovakia aged 19. :D