Semi-Finals: BRZ GER NED ARG

limpid

Ron Vlaar doesn't even take penalties for us but is the main penalty taker for Holland? I can see what a genius Louis van Gaal is.

It's not about that, it's about who is feeling confident in that moment. Vlaar has a sweet connection with the ball too. And just because he took the first penalty doesn't mean he is their main penalty taker. i 'd argue third is the crucial one.

Put your best takers first and get into the lead.

Huntelaar should have been first.

Going back to this, I think the fact that Vlaar stepped up and took the first one (and was down for the 5th one before) speaks volumes about his character.  Talented players who shy away are useless in this situation, at least Ron had the balls to step into the firing line. 

• Like 1

I'm guessing the two eho didn't want to take the pen

Van Gaaaaal says that 2 players turned down the 1st penalty before Ron manned up and took it.

I'm guessing the two are people who didn't take any. Robben should've taken the first.

Name and shame Van Gaal

id guess Huntelaar is one, maybe Wijnalfum was other

Huntlaar was number 5 I'm sure. Given he took a last minute pen against Mexico I can't see him suddenly botting it in a shoot out.

Suppose it's a bit like Portugal Spain semi of 2012 when Ronaldo was 5th penalty taker and it didn't get that far.

Van Gaaaaal says that 2 players turned down the 1st penalty before Ron manned up and took it.

I'm guessing the two are people who didn't take any. Robben should've taken the first.

Name and shame Van Gaal

Please regale us with tales of your world cup semi final shoot out experiences...

• Like 1

Both teams too afraid to throw people forward to win the game for fear of the counter. Awful football from both.

Germany knows how to stop Messi and, therefore, Argentina. Who, exactly, are the Argentinian players going to single out of the Germany side that would cripple them? No one.

And that is why Germany will win.

Thing is, if you have two or even three players on Messi, it makes the rest of the game almost 9 vs 10. With the way the Argies are organised, it would be tough even for Germany to break through. It might be worth them just letting Messi run loose as I'd fancy the Germans to still out score Messi. It would make a much more interesting final.

Germans will dominate the midfield though and Messi be feeding on scraps . also Germans have players from bench to make a difference. rather throw on Schurrle or Draxler than Palacio or Maxi

Name and shame Van Gaal

Please regale us with tales of your world cup semi final shoot out experiences...

Why????

I beleive Robben should've gone first as I believe you should get your best players up first take the pressure of the others. My opinion, we're all allowed one; even you.

If you're referring to the part about naming and shaming, it would be interesting to say how pundits and ex pros respond/defend/have a pop at said individuals.

Why such a petulant comment?

Edited by djamfisher

Thing is, if you have two or even three players on Messi, it makes the rest of the game almost 9 vs 10. With the way the Argies are organised, it would be tough even for Germany to break through. It might be worth them just letting Messi run loose as I'd fancy the Germans to still out score Messi. It would make a much more interesting final.

This is very true - but I'd argue that's what the Dutch did to close him down....

... and Argentina didn't/couldn't take advantage.

It will only get harder when they can't rely on stopping one player like they did with the Dutch (Robben) to stop the opposition scoring.

Some very bad Villa support on show on here tonight.

I'll bite.

Why?

People can support who they want but there has been a few hate filled over the top celebrations at Hollands defeat. One of our own has gone out and done us proud in the international stage tonight. Bit of recognition for the once great Aston Villa.

Would've been nice to have a finalist.

• Like 1

I'll bite.

Why?

People can support who they want but there has been a few hate filled over the top celebrations at Hollands defeat. One of our own has gone out and done us proud in the international stage tonight. Bit of recognition for the once great Aston Villa.

Who cares. 

He plays for Holland not England.

• Like 1

I'll bite.

Why?

Who cares.

Well with England feebly limping out of tournament I referred my only affiliation remaining in the tournament, Villa.

• Like 1

Germany have understandably lost their urgency. Brazil will probably win this half.

Ha, you are not good at this whole prediction lark are you?

My position in the prediction league would suggest otherwise.

Also I have just come across these 2 articles where the German players have said they agreed at half time to ease off so as not to humiliate Brazil even more. 

http://www.sport24.co.za/Soccer/WorldCup/Hummels-Germany-eased-off-20140710

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/worldcup2014/article-2686789/Mats-Hummels-says-Germany-pledge-half-time-not-humiliate-Brazil-World-Cup-semi-final.html

So I was right about them losing their urgency and easing off. 

Edited by Voinjama

Germany have understandably lost their urgency. Brazil will probably win this half.

Ha, you are not good at this whole prediction lark are you?

My position in the prediction league would suggest otherwise.

Also I have just come across these 2 articles where the German players have said they agreed at half time to ease off so as not to humiliate Brazil even more.

http://www.sport24.co.za/Soccer/WorldCup/Hummels-Germany-eased-off-20140710

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/worldcup2014/article-2686789/Mats-Hummels-says-Germany-pledge-half-time-not-humiliate-Brazil-World-Cup-semi-final.html

So I was right about them losing their urgency and easing off.

I was referring to your prediction of Brazil winning the half actually, that and the fact you predicted with incredible cockiness that you'd actually win the prediction league, neither of which happened.

I guess you're not as great as you think you are, huh?

Also, it hardly requires a genius to figure out that a team who is 5-0 up by half time is going to ease off in the second half, especially when it gives them the opportunity to rest players for the World Cup final they'd as good as qualified for at that point. Talk about stating the obvious, you don't exactly need to quote newspaper articles to be sure of that.

Edited by Ginko

My initial comment was tongue in cheek, on the day of the 1st England game, (June 14th) I said I would be 5th or 6th (go and check), I am currently in joint 4th and could possibly sneak 3rd. It's better then being in 43rd place anyway. When it comes to predictions I'm not too bad. Joint with Stevo who is top of his work thing.

I'll bite.

Why?

Who cares. 

For the first time ever I agree with this guy. I'm glad the Dutch are out, they get my goat. One (soon to be ex) Villa player won't sway me I'm afraid

• Like 1

It's not 1945 anymore. Germany is ace.

Great quote.

I'm glad the Dutch went out (sorry VA), I just don't think a team reserves to be in the final if they haven't scored since the second round (I know the argies only got one). Ron was on another level last night, wonder if Messi has found his way out of his pocket yet.

My initial comment was tongue in cheek, on the day of the 1st England game, (June 14th) I said I would be 5th or 6th (go and check), I am currently in joint 4th and could possibly sneak 3rd. It's better then being in 43rd place anyway. When it comes to predictions I'm not too bad. Joint with Stevo who is top of his work thing.

Ha, I don't need to check, I already saw that post and commented on it (go and check). Going by many of your other comments I've seen here and there, I don't believe your original post was tongue-in-cheek, but that's just my opinion and I guess we'll never know for sure.

As for your oh so clever dig at my placement in the prediction league, I predicted the first set of results and then decided to not play because I don't really enjoy these things, so it's only natural I would be placed near the foot of the table. You clearly care about your supposed clairvoyance of football results more than I do though, so good luck with that.