Semi-Finals: BRZ GER NED ARG

limpid

Brazil's problem was not Costa, or even Luiz to the extent that he is what he is, he's hardly an unknown quantity... It was that the manager choose to start with a back 2. It's not 1924, you can't play like that anymore Barca aside, but that itself was a fleeing glimpse into the past. They were able to keep the ball for 70 of the 90 and one of the 2 wasn't David Luiz.

Not only that, but they were set up to blitz. If you're going to be ballsy and play a back 2, you need to be patient with it. You need full backs with a mental age above 5 years old. And a semi final against Germany without your captain and the best centre back in the world is not the time to "give it a go".

NOT ONLY THAT, but as the goals went in he did absolutely NOTHING to change it. He hung them out to dry on the pitch last night. "Big" Phil shrunk under the pressure and his players and his country paid for it, I think he should be ashamed and embarrassed.

Excellent post. Leaving David Luiz to organize a defense is at best naive. 3-0 down or even 2-0 down they needed to regroup and get some discipline back which they didn't.

More like leaving Dante to organise a defence composed of himself and arguably the single least disciplined center back of all time is nothing short of criminal. 

Really, really looking forward to tonight. I'm not expecting fireworks, but I am expecting a war of attrition interspersed with moments of absolute magic. It'll do nicely after last night!

just watching the Dutch path to the final here in the build up. Vlaar has gotten away with a few very hairy moments in their games so far.

Edited by limvillian

I have to say Netherlands and Argentina both look much better in their traditional orange-white-orange and blue white stripes-black-black kits respectively. A big improvement visually.

Messi literally doesn't look the same player in an Argentina shirt.

I agree. Because he's always getting marked by 2 or 3 players, I can never see most of his body. So he literally looks different.