Group F: ARG BIH IRN NGA

limpid

Don't really get the praise from Keown and Neville here? Yeah they defended well but all they did was run the channels and try and counter. That's not good football. Sick of constant counter-attacking football being praised. It's shit. 

Depends what you like really. I'd take counter-attacking over boring possession shite.

• Like 1

Don't really get the praise from Keown and Neville here? Yeah they defended well but all they did was run the channels and try and counter. That's not good football. Sick of constant counter-attacking football being praised. It's shit. 

Depends what you like really. I'd take counter-attacking over boring possession shite.

I'm not saying that either. Just 9 men behind the ball, 1 up top and just looking to break out when you can is just terrible, unimaginative football. 

• Like 2

What do you want them to do exactly ?

To open the pitch and do the same as Spain, Portugal and Switzerland ?

It's playing the best way you could to win. If you're not good just try not to lose and might sneak a goal with a corner or something.

If you hold the ball with shaky defending which don't know how to deal with counter-attacking you'll get hit badly.

Villa last season only used to be good when counter-attacking. Because we didn't know how to defend a counter nor how to control a game.

Actually I don't like playing with possession, I only like to play on teams who plays direct football.

Building a team that play possession game need more than to play direct football, and nowadays phisycal game is as important.

You could depend on 3 players in direct football. Unlike possession game.

They came out with some rubbish tonight though

"This is where you want to see the big players shine and Messi did just that". No he didn't, Martin, he was terrible. One good shot in 90 minutes isn't a "great performance".

• Like 4

This is the most dissapointed I can remember feeling about a sports game since blackburn vs Wigan when rovers were relegated. Wanted bosnia to go far, especially with the bad decision.

That's odd - are you ethnically Bosnian?

Edited by legov

"This is where you want to see the big players shine and Messi did just that". No he didn't, Martin, he was terrible. One good shot in 90 minutes isn't a "great performance".

I agree very frustrating player. Never works hard and rarely passes when he should.

They really need to allow for a manager's challenge. These teams work too hard too be screwed over by incompetent officiating. Each team should be given the opportunity to make one challenge per match.

That great goal will be the only thing that game will ever be remembered for though. And the fact that he scored such a beauty, right at the death, only adds to his legacy of greatness. 

Edited by maqroll

lol one absolutely excellent strike from out side the box into the corner in the last minute to win the game you mean.

Messi seems to be doing it, two important and brilliantly taken goals in two games, both being crucial to Argentina. It's not that easy for him, he's instantly surrounded by multiple opposing players whenever he gets the ball, rarely does he find the space he needs, and he's not as good as Maradona was, someone who in the 1986 world cup could deal with being marked by four players. 

Argentina just aren't that good, they have an utterly atrocious defence and a very poorly balanced midfield. They lack quality in central midfield, especially someone who can sit and pass the ball well. But with Messi they always have a chance but he's going to have to step it up when they play much better opposition and emulate Maradona of 1986 if Argentina are to win this tournament. 

• Like 2

That's what great players do though, isn't it?

They can turn in an average performance and still come out with a moment of brilliance to win the game.

Just like the mark of a great team is winning when not playing well.

• Like 2

That's what great players do though, isn't it?

They can turn in an average performance and still come out with a moment of brilliance to win the game.

Just like the mark of a great team is winning when not playing well.

Too true.

And WC games are all about moments. Take them - like Messi - and you continue. Hit the post - like Dzeko - and you go home.

If it had been any other Argentinian player scoring, would as much fuss be made though? I doubt it.

but it wasn't any other Argentinian.

It was a brilliant goal out of nothing by one of the best players in the world.

If Rooney had done it against Uruguay it would be the same. If Dzeko did it for Bosnia it would be the same. If Eto'o did it for Cameroon it would be the same.

Edited by Stevo985