Group D: URU CRC ENG ITA

limpid

Was very interesting but England just seemed to have no plan for the last 30. Should at least have taken a crack or two at the goal when nothing really happened. Sterling got progressively worse in the second half as well. Lallana did nothing and wilshere was pretty anonymous as well. I missed Lampard there, would have been fun to see what he could have added to the game. Welbeck seems more crucial as well with his pace on the wing. Not really surprised either, you always feel England can do much better but nope.

Square pegs in round holes so it all comes down to the manager

To expect Rooney to play LM is madness and as hard as he worked Wellback isn't a midfielder either

Has to put Rooney in his proper role or even bench him for the next game

And also needs to get drop Baines whose never looked comfortable at international level and can't make the step up in class

• Like 1

Roy's interview: Wayne isn't being dropped anytime soon.

Is that really what he said? I honestly don't think it is up to him as to whether or not he gets dropped.

He's already being shunted out to the wings. Before the tournament started, I never thought that would ever happen. It's clear he's no longer seen as the fulcrum of the team, imo.

The bench isn't far away now, so to speak...

Tactics didn't make much sense, especially there at the end, sending crosses in to nobody. At first, it looked like Italy was susceptible to your pace, but as soon as they sussed that and/or your players started tiring, they hardly posed a threat. No bodies deep in the box to get on chances, nobody with enough presence or cleverness to outmaneuver or at least try to contest Pirlo and the Italy midfield enough to prevent them controlling things. Fullbacks just weren't up to it, either.

I don't think Rooney was that bad, but he shouldn't be playing if he isn't playing in his strongest position and ultimately it was his poor finish that cost us a point. Switching Welbeck to the left cost us massively, for 15 minutes he left Baines out to dry 2-on-1 and we conceded. 

The big problem is the midfield pairing. The two play almost parallel to each other and it's just too rigid. Look at the midfield three of Italy. Marchisio, De Rossi and Pirlo moved the ball quickly. All Henderson and Gerrard offer is a simple diagonal or square pass with neither of them moving vertically up the pitch. It's just way too horizontal in the middle and it kills us.

Edited by Milfner
  • Like 1

Thought it was pretty comfortable for Italy tbh, completely took their foot off the gas after the second goal. You can imagine if we were 2-1 up the sort of pressure they'd have put us under in the last 20mins, we should have thrown the kitchen sink at them but it never happened.

I don't think Rooney was that bad, but he shouldn't be playing if he isn't playing in his strongest position and ultimately it was his poor finish that cost us a point. Switching Welbeck to the left cost us massively, for 15 minutes he left Baines out to dry 2-on-1 and we conceded. 

The big problem is the midfield pairing. The two play almost parallel to each other and it's just too rigid. Look at the midfield three of Italy. Marchisio, De Rossi and Pirlo moved the ball quickly. All Henderson and Gerrard offer is a simple diagonal or square pass with neither of them moving vertically up the pitch. It's just way too horizontal in the middle and it kills us.

Spot on.

Spot on.

They don't do too badly when playing for Liverpool though. Henderson gets described as a holding midfielder sometimes, but he actually plays in a very mobile manner whenever he plays for Liverpool.