Roy Keane

TrentVilla

Does he shave that bit between his beard and his hair? Or does hair just refuse to grow there?

I'm not sure if it's the beard trying to liberate itself from the rest of the hair, or Roy's head having a growth spurt and leaving it behind.

Aston Villa: Roy Keane saved my career, says Kieran Richardson

Kieran Richardson is enjoying working under Roy Keane again after admitting that the Irishman saved his career from spiralling out of control.

The Aston Villa left-back signed for his former Manchester United captain when he was in charge at Sunderland but injuries soon hampered his development.

Richardson became sluggish and put on weight until a motivational speech from Keane made him realise that he needed to shape up.

Since then the 29-year-old has enjoyed a good run of form and working with the Villa assistant boss again has reminded him not to let standards slip.

“That season when I signed for Sunderland I only played about ten games because I had a hairline fracture in the L5 vertebrae in my spine,” said Richardson.

“Throughout that season I was very upset and I put on a lot of weight and I got bigger.

“But just before the end of that season Roy took me into his office and we had a massive conversation.

“He inspired me to go away in the summer and come back in better shape than I had ever been in.

“I went and played very well the following season.

“He gave me some strong words of encouragement to go and do that and I will always appreciate it.

“A lot of people don’t know him on a personal level but he definitely has that side to him.”

Keane’s arrival has helped boss Paul Lambert this summer and the Villa players appear to be happy with his training methods.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-roy-keane-saved-7716142

This is the nice snippet of the benefits of having Roy Keane. He has his limitations as a Manager but as an assistant I think he brings so much to us. He's honest in what he wants from his players, tells them and if they want to work and learn they'll do great. Lazy people need to find a new club. 

I think the big benefits will be seen in the post March part of the season, larger usable squad and better fitness will show its rewards. 

• Like 2

I imagine it's much better to be coached by one of the best players to ever play the game, who everyone respects than to be coached by a pair of rocket polishers*.

*by all accounts

Even more so if you're a central midfielder. Westwood and Delph, given their characters must relish working with Keane. I'd say both players are very good trainers. No doubt Westwood has improved this season

I imagine if you are a bit lazy and unmotivated, Roy would be the worse person ever to get on with.

Exactly, he must detest lazy players. Especially talented ones. In his mind you're paid vast sums of money to play a game you love, be adored by thousands of fans and you can't even be bothered giving 100% effort. 

I shiver thinking the rollicking he'd give such players if their laziness to not track back cost the team. 

I remember the 2007 Champions League final and Milans 2nd goal, Gerrard let Kaka get goal side while he was just walking towards him to mark him instead of running to get to him. It was a slow bit of play but then Kaka made a forward run sucked defender towards him and slipped through ball to Pippo Inzaghi. I remember a United fan mate say after seeing the replay, Keane would never have let that happen. Period. He was right. 

Keane has limitations in signing certain types of players and eye for talent etc.. but his benefits really fit being an assistant coach. Organisation, hard work and effort. Mental toughness, what to do when 2-0 down, he can speak with authority as what he did in 99 against Juventus for United was nothing short of epic. 

I imagine it's much better to be coached by one of the best players to ever play the game, who everyone respects than to be coached by a pair of rocket polishers*.

*by all accounts

Well, they were Lambert's rocket-polishers, and had been with him a long time. He should have seen the problem long before he did.

In so many matches, that team was a shambles, and over a considerable period.

Exactly, he must detest lazy players. Especially talented ones. In his mind you're paid vast sums of money to play a game you love, be adored by thousands of fans and you can't even be bothered giving 100% effort. 

See I don't think the money, the adulation, the fame... any of that matters or mattered to Keane one little bit, I don't think it ever is part of his thinking.

He was the same playing for Cobh Rangers as he was Man United, dedicated, hungry, aggressive and driven beyond the level of any team mate or rival. It was about winning, lots of people think they are competitive but they don't get close.

When he has kicked off in the past like he did with Ireland it was because others standards didn't match his own and that has always been his strength and weakness. 

*by all accounts

Well, they were Lambert's rocket-polishers, and had been with him a long time. He should have seen the problem long before he did.

As I've said countless times, he did but wasn't allowed to do anything about it.

• Like 2

See I don't think the money, the adulation, the fame... any of that matters or mattered to Keane one little bit, I don't think it ever is part of his thinking.

I'm not saying Keane played for the money and sure as hell didn't give a crap about adulation. He wanted to win. Period. 

But I'm thinking of the opinion he'd hold of lazy players at Premier League clubs. I'd say in his eyes if you aren't going to give 100% you don't deserve to be a Premiership footballer. 

I think he said the lowest point of his United career was Arsenal winning the title in 2002 in Old Trafford. Says it all, he just couldn't take that. Viera was every inch as good a player and hungry a player as him.

But I'm thinking of the opinion he'd hold of lazy players at Premier League clubs. I'd say in his eyes if you aren't going to give 100% you don't deserve to be a Premiership footballer. 

And I'd agree but I think he would think that if you were earning £100 or £100k a week or if you were playing park football, I really don't think the money would be a factor in his anger at someone. 

He was the same playing for Cobh Rangers as he was Man United, dedicated, hungry, aggressive and driven beyond the level of any team mate or rival. It was about winning, lots of people think they are competitive but they don't get close.

When he has kicked off in the past like he did with Ireland it was because others standards didn't match his own and that has always been his strength and weakness. 

*by all accounts

As I've said countless times, he did but wasn't allowed to do anything about it.

I know you did, TV, but they were still his choice, and he cannot be absolved of the responsibility for that..

I know you did, TV, but they were still his choice, and he cannot be absolved of the responsibility for that..

No absolve him from blame for their appointment is very different to blaming him for not seeing the problem earlier which is what you were previously saying. Yes Lambert appointed them based upon their performance for him previously, that their performance/attitude changed can't really be leveled as a criticism of him in my view as quite clearly he would have appointed them had it been a problem before.

No absolve him from blame for their appointment is very different to blaming him for not seeing the problem earlier which is what you were previously saying. Yes Lambert appointed them based upon their performance for him previously, that their performance/attitude changed can't really be leveled as a criticism of him in my view as quite clearly he would have appointed them had it been a problem before.

Whilst I believe this to an extent (because I believe you) what I can't understand is *why* he wasn't allowed to do anything about it? I mean, just how big were their contracts? Either way, would he/we not have been better off putting them on gardening leave and using Given et al as he did towards the end of last season?

Something doesn't add up.

• Like 2

Whilst I believe this to an extent (because I believe you) what I can't understand is *why* he wasn't allowed to do anything about it? I mean, just how big were their contracts? Either way, would he/we not have been better off putting them on gardening leave and using Given et al as he did towards the end of last season?

Something doesn't add up.

Maybe because knowing something was going on isn't the same as proving it?

Thats the thing, we don't really have enough facts to know one way or the other. Which is why it's ridiculous when people say that Lambert 'could/should have done something earlier' when we don't know what

happened exactly, how long it was going on for or how long Lambert knew there was a problem before he acted.

The early signs with Keane are positive. Maybe Lambert & Keane can be our Clough & Taylor ........ that would be something :)

• Like 1

I wonder hiw Bent and nzog get on with him

One thing I have noticed this season is Zoggy is tracking back a bit more and putting tackles in, which I can't say I noticed previously. The Keane effect?

I have to admit that when we signed Keane as our new assistant manager I fetl it was an act of desperation. We signed a guy who'd failed as manager and had a history to upset other players. I thought it was just a matter of time before he'd upset a few of our players and make bad things worse.

Now I can only say that so far so good, and I hope he keep shoving my thoughts back in my, well, brain. Maybe he's very much more suited as an assistant, and maybe there's another side of all those stories. I really don't know. But, as said, if it keeps on like this I think it can be a master stroke to hire him.

• Like 2

Maybe because knowing something was going on isn't the same as proving it?

Thats the thing, we don't really have enough facts to know one way or the other. Which is why it's ridiculous when people say that Lambert 'could/should have done something earlier' when we don't know what

happened exactly, how long it was going on for or how long Lambert knew there was a problem before he acted.

The early signs with Keane are positive. Maybe Lambert & Keane can be our Clough & Taylor ........ that would be something :)

This I can't buy.

Whether we know the facts or not, he is the manager. It is his job to know - and to act accordingly.

If our performance towards the latter part of last season was down to those 2 clowns, then Lambert did not just show poor management by not removing them earlier....

... he risked the premier league status of the club, which borders on incompetence.

• Like 1

Â