Jeremy Clarkson upsets some people again.....

mykeyb

a friend of mine is friends with one of the script writers on Top Gear

, as I mentioned earlier in this discussion, the erroneous assumption that the Porsche's plate was deliberate came to light in Argentina thanks to the local Autoblog site over two weeks ago, long before it was picked up in the UK. As a precaution, the plate was removed from the car and our London office started talking to the Argentine ambassador in the UK to assure him this was not deliberate and that we had taken steps to minimise any trouble that could result from the wrongful assumption that we were trying to offend. At the risk of sounding like a stuck record, the plate was not deliberate, it came with the very rare and specifically chosen car, and was an unfortunate coincidence. There are email chains and planning documents that prove this without question.

just seems like someone trying to make trouble where there was none

the rags today are reporting that they had the plate "BE11 END" in the boot of the Porsche

its all starting to sound like some clever free advertising to me 

as in the tweet that May made when he said Clarkson wasn't a racist , just a Bellend 

I'm still failing to see the Argies problem here

there is only 1 "l" in Belgrano so it can't even be viewed as some ambiguous link to the sinking of the enemy light cruiser during the conflict

It is a hell of a coincidence tbf.

One too many for Top Gear and they know it, no apology is going to wash on this one so seems they are trying to cover their arses.

what is there to apologise for ? 

maybe the Argies should apologise for the deaths they caused by their illegal invasion in the first place ?

'Erroneous assumption'. Of course. They knew what they were doing, why not just return the Porsche and get another car.

If you think this was entirely innocent and coincidental then I think you may be purposefully being blind to your own bias either towards 'friends of friends', against the argies or whether you like top gear or not.

Edited by Ingram85

I believe they didn't change the number plate but I don't for one minute believe that they either didn't buy it because of it or take it there because of it.

They didn't take it to Argentina at all, it was changed in Chile when they realised it was probably a step too far.

Just to point out I wasn't having a pop Tony, just saying I think its quite obvious this situation was intentional :)

too late now I've already released an angry mob with pitchforks in your direction  ....

I believe they didn't change the number plate but I don't for one minute believe that they either didn't buy it because of it or take it there because of it.

They didn't take it to Argentina at all, it was changed in Chile when they realised it was probably a step too far.

Didn't they? Then what the chuff is this story about?

I have been misled, if it was changed in chile, then how did the 1000 angry argentinians get all het up about?

The newspapers seem to have a view on this now - and before anyone claims political bias the info is coming from all areas such as Mail, Indy, Mirror etc.

The porche was initially registered with the "Falklands" number plate but was later changed to H1 VAE , in 2001. It was then subsequently changed back and the VAE number plate allocated to another Porche. It then gets very murky as to who and what knew about this, but it certainly appears to be no "fluke".

Anyone seriously thinking that this was an innocent mistake is wrong IMO. Clarkson has a track record of crass, puerile behaviour and it seems that for once he got caught out and basically had the shit scared out of him. He is an obnoxious individual who thinks nothing of borderline racism as being acceptable. Remember this is the individual who threatened to assault a kid in Barbados. Top Gear at times is a reflection of his crass attitude and those behind this deserve to be questioned and if need be held accountable.

• Like 2

Clarkson isn't solely to blame (if there even is any to hand out) here

Top gear must employ dozens of researchers, producers and editors to do this sort jape.

absolutely - BUT interestingly Clarkson has a track record (and not that by the Stig) of similar crass behaviour, outside of Top Gear shows. So is it a case of one feeding off another?

I have been misled, if it was changed in chile, then how did the 1000 angry argentinians get all het up about?

The newspapers seem to have a view on this now - and before anyone claims political bias the info is coming from all areas such as Mail, Indy, Mirror etc.

The porche was initially registered with the "Falklands" number plate but was later changed to H1 VAE , in 2001. It was then subsequently changed back and the VAE number plate allocated to another Porche. It then gets very murky as to who and what knew about this, but it certainly appears to be no "fluke".

Anyone seriously thinking that this was an innocent mistake is wrong IMO. Clarkson has a track record of crass, puerile behaviour and it seems that for once he got caught out and basically had the shit scared out of him. He is an obnoxious individual who thinks nothing of borderline racism as being acceptable. Remember this is the individual who threatened to assault a kid in Barbados. Top Gear at times is a reflection of his crass attitude and those behind this deserve to be questioned and if need be held accountable.

But whatever your views on Clarkson, the point is that at no point was there a car in Argentina with that number plate on it.  Whether they intended to or not, it didn't actually happen.  

But whatever your views on Clarkson, the point is that at no point was there a car in Argentina with that number plate on it.  Whether they intended to or not, it didn't actually happen.  

Hmm the the Telegraph are certainly saying it was in Argentina

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/top-gear/11148267/Jeremy-Clarkson-in-new-row-over-bellend-number-plate-in-Falklands-Porsche.html

....The BBC has insisted the number plate Clarkson used when he first drove the car in Argentina - H982 FKL - was coincidental and they removed it when locals complained it was a reference to the conflict.....

topgear3_3060940c.jpg
Edited by drat01

Â