Jeremy Clarkson upsets some people again.....

mykeyb

I am ambivalent about Clarkson who, as a popular individual, in the public eye, and who generally appears to disagree with switched on leftie correctness, is a threat to the left, which is why there is a constant witch hunt against him.

If he had called or referred to a black person as a N, then I would have a problem with him. Mumbling a nursery rhyme that people of his age knew as kids is of no significance whatsoever. It gives no indicator of his views of black people at all, yet it suits some people to spin it in the way - he's outspoken and generally against left wing thinking, he MUST be a racist.

Left wing faux outrage at its ugliest.

right wing faux outrage at left wing faux outrage at it's Daily Mail laziest

• Like 1

I wouldn't want a blanket ban on certain words never to be used. People also don't have a right to not be offended. But it's the context, and with Clarkson the context is always wrong. His racial slurs are not cleverly nuanced or ironic, it's just face value childish playground humour. I think people have a right to be offended by that.

A thoughtcrime is an occurance or instance of controversial or socially unacceptable thoughts.

Clarkson never actually said the offending word but he definitely had the thought so he is guilty of a thoughtcrime.

It took a little longer than Orwell predicted but it sure looks like we got there in the end.

• Like 1

That bastion of Left wing faux outrage lists some of his more subtle things of late

HOW JEREMY CLARKSON HAS LANDED HIMSELF IN TROUBLE BEFORE

Feburary 2009: Described Gordon Brown as a ‘one-eyed Scottish idiot’.

That's really unfair to idiots.

• Like 1

A thoughtcrime is an occurance or instance of controversial or socially unacceptable thoughts.

Clarkson never actually said the offending word but he definitely had the thought so he is guilty of a thoughtcrime.

It took a little longer than Orwell predicted but it sure looks like we got there in the end.

Having a go at a prick with previous for implied racism isn't really that Orwellian. Repeatedly asking an 'entertainer' in the public eye to stop being offensive isn't that Orwellian. The public... requesting that the state funded TV channel stop broadcasting him isn't that Orwellian.

I am ambivalent about Clarkson who, as a popular individual, in the public eye, and who generally appears to disagree with switched on leftie correctness, is a threat to the left, which is why there is a constant witch hunt against him.

If he had called or referred to a black person as a N, then I would have a problem with him. Mumbling a nursery rhyme that people of his age knew as kids is of no significance whatsoever. It gives no indicator of his views of black people at all, yet it suits some people to spin it in the way - he's outspoken and generally against left wing thinking, he MUST be a racist.

Sorry but that is rubbish.

So being outraged at racism is left wing faux outrage?

So being outraged at threatening young kids is left wing faux outrage?

So being mocking physical disability is a left wing faux outrage?

Maybe you are saying / admitting that the right wing elements, and yes Clarkson certainly is one of those, has different morals and acceptable social awareness?

This is not a left wing witch hunt at all and you know it mate, it's one about common decency and the fact that Clarkson who has shown over many many instances to be quite an obnoxious person has been caught out again. Trying to make it a left vs right thing is wrong on your part and frankly disappointing

The point is Ian, in this instance, it is not racism.

I don't follow Clarkson closely enough to be aware of the 'threatening' and 'mocking' questions that you pose.

But it's a nothing story, which I understand was perpetuated by the Daily Mirror.

He's outspoken, and apparently people with views of a certain standing don't like him, which is fine. But it's hardly of any interest to the majority of people.

That's a quality performance - way to shoehorn in a rant showing your own political prejudice.

It's not quite top drawer, though: you omitted 'liberal elite'. :)

A bit personal Snowy, and unworthy of you.

The hyenas are having a good run today, for sure :)

• Like 1

You could argue the ‘older’ generation don’t realise what is racist and what isn’t.

Then Why did he mumble it? And have you heard his apology/defence? He knew it was wrong, which is why he mumbled it. It was clearly audible on one of those takes though

So is the rhyme still inherently racist even if you replace the n word or mumble instead?

Because I think I recited it as a kid with different words in order to decide who was 'it' in tig. I need to know if I'm racist

Yeah I'm not his biggest fan but a racist storm caused by the absence of a racist word just seems quite new to me

Indeed. I can't stand the bloke, but it seems he upsets as many people for saying something racist and when he doesn't. I guess the solution would be to shut up, but even for him that's a little unfair.

The public... requesting that the state funded TV channel stop broadcasting him isn't that Orwellian.

The existence of a state-funded TV channel, though...

• Like 4

The public... requesting that the state funded TV channel stop broadcasting him isn't that Orwellian.

A whole can of worms there. Generally a very good thing, if done properly. However, the BBC's news and political output has become a national disgrace.

still, leaving all news providers only in the hands of private firms is hardly an improvement - look at America. Letting Sky sweep up the market would be the destruction of any lingering hope for some element of proportionate news reporting. 

But anyway... doesn't seem much of a story for me, mostly because it wasn't even intended for air. Who gives a **** what someone said in footage that was never intended for public circulation.

If you read the bible you know that book that God where commands the Israelites to exterminate another people, not for any crime but merely because they are a different ethnic group with a different religion

does that make you a racist ?

and if you recant an old nursery rhyme that you may have grown up with from a bygone era as you learnt it , are you then also a racist ... it was 2 years ago so not sure why the Mirror have dug it out now , shit I'm fairly sure in 1977 I recited Baa Baa Black sheep at school , I must be a racist as well

Clarkson may have accidentally / inadvertently used the N word as a slip of the tongue whilst recanting an old nursery rhyme but that's a huge difference from being a racist ....

I grew up in the 80's we went to the Paki shops , we listened to wog boxes , we laughed at Jim Davidson's mate Chalky on prime time tv etc ... BUT those phrases are no longer acceptable in society and don't get used any longer , you can argue they should never have been used , but back then they were pretty much every day phrases ... maybe we were all racists back then or maybe we were just ignorant or even sheltered from multi cultural society ... my school had 1 Asian kid in it out of maybe 300 people .. In effect didn't know anyone that wasn't white , my parents social circle would have been 100% white and so on ..where as now I have friends from all manor of ethnicity and even religion and my children don't even bat an eyelid at where somebody comes from , what religion or the colour of their skin ...

50 years from now at least my children aren't going to recant an old childhood nursery rhyme and "outrage" the usual suspects .... though it will probably transpire that Harry Potter was a closest racist or something and he'll be on the banned list

Ahhh the daily fail, always the voice of reason.

Using religion to defend anything as your opening gambit is always going to lead you down a path towards epic failure. I'm surprised at your ignorance Tony.

I think Clarkson should have known better. But it was a slip of the tongue, forgivable if it weren't for all the other right wing shite he spouts. Basically, he's set himself up as his own judge, jury and executioner.

Hang him.

Well on having discussed this with a few people the general consensus is that he's a huge cock with only himself to blame. That this one incident is trivial, but that it gets put on the pile of other dumb bullying pathetic little ingerland daily mail jacket n jeans things he says at suspiciously regularly spaced intervals about shooting people, insulting other countries, killing prostitutes or whatever.

He's a 'controversial' self publicist and right now he must be abusing himself 24/7 because he's got what he craves, people talking about naughty boy Jeremy Clarkson. 

• Like 1

hey hey hey

hey you

we'll give up the (admittedly right wing) BBC when you give up the right to shoot schoolkids

• Like 4

Â