The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

1 hour ago, Ingram85 said:

Jesus, you always over analyse things bud. Dont start with the social media faux outrage nonsense. How about Rocket polishers, cretins, nobs, arseholes, word removeds, clearings? Any better?

Also, its a derogatory slang word originally used for people with learning disabilities. Not a great word i have you but these days its just a general insult. Nothing to do with mental health, so yeah.

Not 'faux outrage', I just don't like it is all. 

However, it's a free country, and I shouldn't have said anything. So - sorry about that. 

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Not 'faux outrage', I just don't like it is all. 

However, it's a free country, and I shouldn't have said anything. So - sorry about that. 

I'm sorry too. No worries chap.

5 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

I'm looking at getting out of NHS mental health. The pay is crap, the shifts too long and most of the staff coming through these days are self absorbed retards who are more interested in the academic side instead of actually l helping patients in crisis. Mr Hunt has killed the NHS to the point were once loyal and giving staff no longer give a flying ****. 

Problem is, as an unqualified band 3 healthcare assistant, there isnt much out there for me to go to. I've done this for 10 years now so at 32 its a bit scary to retrain, but without doing it I'll be stuck in menial jobs or stuck doing this for the rest of my life. All I know is that I want out of the NHS and need to enjoy a job again. 

I don't blam pen you pal. It absolutely sucks and is not rewarding as it should be. My two year secondment job was suppose to go permanent then time came got screwed over and told they don't have the money for the role so they seized the position and I was told I have to go back to my old job on a lower band.

been back a month get offered another secondment job on signer band but my management blocked it as they won't allow me to leave on a secondment role even though all the roles are secondments at the moment therefore I'm stuck in limbo at a shit job on less money.

the NHS sucks

23 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

the NHS sucks

It is going through a bad time at the moment mainly due to the needless top down reorganisation, lack of funding and the fact that the minister in charge of it is a calculating bastard only intent on setting it up to fail.

It hasn't always been like that though and it won't always be and the NHS certainly doesn't suck.The heart and soul of it, those that work with in it, are what still make it very special.

My wife works for the NHS as a community mental health nurse. She gets paid for 37.5 hours a week. She works for more like 55 hours a week and spends much of the rest of the time thinking about her patients. I genuinely think for some it is a calling and I certainly couldn't do what she does. She is reasonably well rewarded but it goes beyond money. She does it because she genuinely wants to care for people. I think there are a lot people like that with in the NHS and that is what makes it so special.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

It is going through a bad time at the moment mainly due to the needless top down reorganisation, lack of funding and the fact that the minister in charge of it is a calculating bastard only intent on setting it up to fail.

Fascinating.

That's exactly why I left 22 years ago.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

It hasn't always been like that though and it won't always be and the NHS certainly doesn't suck.The heart and soul of it, those that work with in it, are what still make it very special.

My wife works for the NHS as a community mental health nurse. She gets paid for 37.5 hours a week. She works for me like 55 hours a week and spends much of the rest of the time thinking about her patients. I genuinely think for some it is a calling and I certainly couldn't do what she does. She is reasonably well rewarded but it goes beyond money. She does it because she genuinely wants to care for people. I think there are a lot people like that with in the NHS and that is what makes it so special.

I am happy for her mark but i think if she came to my trust she would pribably move trusts within a couple weeks. Our trust was taken over by Royal Free London and they have absolutely destroyed our trust. Morale from all staff is at all time low, losing talented staff from admin, to nurses to consultants. Closing our A and E and knocking a lot down of the hospital to build flats and a school next door to a mental health unit ehich is absolutely ridiculous.

Then you have the amount of high level management they recruit (who dont even know how to use our system) hpw can you have people beong paid 60k plus who cant even change a patients appointment?

When i say the nhs sucks i mean in terms of working for them. Its terrible what they are doing to the real workers. Its not just the government its the shambolic management in place.

@Demitri_C The NHS is going through a bad time I would 100% agree with you there and many parts of it are in a mess.

Value what you do though mate as overall I believe you work for a great institution, this countries finest achievement. I don't know what your role is but I'd imagine even if not directly you are in some way having a positive impact on peoples lives.

It is being brought to its knees at the moment due to wilful neglect by the current government, and it is the work of good people with in it that are slowing that process, but the damage being done is reversible. Persevere mate and value the positive impact I am sure you are making.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’ve applied for a job in the US with my current employer, just outside NYC. Very exciting, if they offer it me (massive IF) I’d have a million questions! 

Big move! Fingers crossed for you mate 

Full time move or secondment/temporary? 

1 minute ago, Xela said:

What about the family? They move with you? 

Just being nosey! :D

Haha, that’s the plan. We’ve talked about it and everyone is excited at the prospect. We’ve always talked about working/living in a different country.

The children are 5&7 so that seems like a great time to do something like this as they are not about to be doing any serious exams yet also not babies either.

Its a long shot, so we’ll have to see what comes over the next few weeks... 

• Like 1

On 14/10/2017 at 20:39, Genie said:

I’ve applied for a job in the US with my current employer, just outside NYC. Very exciting, if they offer it me (massive IF) I’d have a million questions! 

Interview next week :huh:

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Genie said:

Interview next week :huh:

Having gone through a similar process recently, I feel for you! Just take it as it comes, don't think about it too much (that was my downfall as I was a nervous wreck come the interview) and think about why you're right for the role if a similar role was offered in the UK. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, trekka said:

Having gone through a similar process recently, I feel for you! Just take it as it comes, don't think about it too much (that was my downfall as I was a nervous wreck come the interview) and think about why you're right for the role if a similar role was offered in the UK. 

Cheers mate, I’ve had a look at the property in the area and as you might expect it’s REALLY expensive. I’ll do my best in the interview and then see what’s what, if they offer it me then it’s going to need to be a very generous package because I’m not going to live in a dump for 3 years (even if it is rent free). I’ll put that to one side for now and see how I get on...

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

Cheers mate, I’ve had a look at the property in the area and as you might expect it’s REALLY expensive. I’ll do my best in the interview and then see what’s what, if they offer it me then it’s going to need to be a very generous package because I’m not going to live in a dump for 3 years (even if it is rent free). I’ll put that to one side for now and see how I get on...

Don't think they will provide a penthouse apartment over central park ;)

Â