The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

1 hour ago, juanpabloingram said:

Any suggestions or tips to consider in helping me make my mind up?

Will you get a worthwhile stint actually working abroad?

If so, do you have a partner/kids this would be a problem for?

If it's workable? I'd do it.

Last month India and Pakistan joined the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation. A fairly big deal.

Or stay on the bumbling Brexit express, your choice innit?

I'm currentlydoing everything possible to get out of my job.

They have just cut out department down from 80 people to 45 and now the people that stayed are leaving in their droves.

We are supposed to have a maximum case load of 160 injury claims, I'm currently on 240, it's ridiculous, it'll only be a matter of time before they scrap the whole department.

I really want to get out of the insurance game, I'm waiting for a call back from the police about a job as a dispatch officer which would be a few grand more.

I've also applied for a few jobs in transport management, is piss that job because I did something similar for over 10 years and that would see my money jump up by about 3 or 4k a year.

Only problem at the minute is trying to make it through each day at my current company.

Im in a similar position. So demotivated in my job. Ive been here 3 years and worked my way up to a respectable job after joining as a grad. They have just culled 50% of jobs at the level above me and common sense says they are coming for my lot next. But i just dont want to stay here either way. I could quite easily do this job for the next 12 months and i know there a bigger role waiting for me in 12 months when someone retires that id be great in. But past that i just have no interest in any of the roles, and the position im in is one that isnt the most attractive so if they have someone good they dont let them move around internally. They need you to be available and switched on 24/7 and i just value a decent work/life balance far too much to commit to that. So i just dont see the point in wasting the next 2/3 years in a company i dont want to progress in. 

Ive just tweeked my cv for my first application in 4 years for a job in a completely different sector. The role is simlar to what i do now, but seems to be the bits i enjoy most picked out without the bits that i hate. It isnt the 'dream' job but its certainly an improvement on what im doing at the moment which is making me miserable. I genuinely struggle to get out of bed most mornings with the thought of work and what im walking in to. 

The only thing im stumbling on is that the application asks for a cv which ive pretty much done, but says a cover letter is optional. I feel like i should submit one to show ive put some more effort in but have never written one before. Does anyone have any tips? 

Its pretty nerve wracking looking for jobs in a totally different area to what all of my experience is to be honest. But if i dont make the change now my cv will just become more and more focused on my current role and less attractive to someone in a different sector. 

• Like 1

If they say a cover letter is optional, then do it. It'll show more about you than a CV can.

As for tips, google it. I always look online for cover letter tips, as the letter could be different for each job you apply for.

Not me, but my other half's job is really annoying me.

She's doing very well (works for Aldi HQ). Her appraisals are excellent, she's been told by her boss she's the best person in her position by far (even though she's only been there 18 months and others have been there 10 years), she does more work than anyone and basically just gets glowing reviews all round.

But there is literally no progression. She's due another pay rise this year, but it's just a standard rise that everyone gets in their second year unless they're useless. After that nothing.
She'll be paid the same as everyone else on her team.

Which would be fine if she could get promoted, but she can't. She reports to a buying director, but they're recruited from Stores so there are no positions above her to go into. Literally nothing. The only position people in her job usually leave to do are PA roles for senior directors, but she doesn't want to do that (she works in purchasing so it's not her field at all)

She recently took on extra work, so she's effectively doing two people's jobs (literally, the other girl left and they haven't recruited anyone else). So I told her she should be asking for a payrise.

She can't. Flat pay grades. Literally no room for rises outside of the usual annual rise that everyone gets.

It just seems utterly pointless. Why do they even have appraisals? There's no benefit to getting good "ratings". There's no motivation to do extra work or take on extra responsibility.

It's a real shame because she loves her job, and she likes the company, but if she wants to be ambitious then she can't stay there.

Seems a really weird setup.

5 hours ago, This Could Be Rotterdam said:

Im in a similar position. So demotivated in my job. Ive been here 3 years and worked my way up to a respectable job after joining as a grad. They have just culled 50% of jobs at the level above me and common sense says they are coming for my lot next. But i just dont want to stay here either way. I could quite easily do this job for the next 12 months and i know there a bigger role waiting for me in 12 months when someone retires that id be great in. But past that i just have no interest in any of the roles, and the position im in is one that isnt the most attractive so if they have someone good they dont let them move around internally. They need you to be available and switched on 24/7 and i just value a decent work/life balance far too much to commit to that. So i just dont see the point in wasting the next 2/3 years in a company i dont want to progress in. 

Ive just tweeked my cv for my first application in 4 years for a job in a completely different sector. The role is simlar to what i do now, but seems to be the bits i enjoy most picked out without the bits that i hate. It isnt the 'dream' job but its certainly an improvement on what im doing at the moment which is making me miserable. I genuinely struggle to get out of bed most mornings with the thought of work and what im walking in to. 

The only thing im stumbling on is that the application asks for a cv which ive pretty much done, but says a cover letter is optional. I feel like i should submit one to show ive put some more effort in but have never written one before. Does anyone have any tips? 

Its pretty nerve wracking looking for jobs in a totally different area to what all of my experience is to be honest. But if i dont make the change now my cv will just become more and more focused on my current role and less attractive to someone in a different sector. 

Cover letter is a must, free reign to sell yourself. Use the job description as a checklist and illustrate how your skills/experience match what they want. Also worth using it as an opportunity to say why you want to work for them (research them and tie it into their company values).

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, V01 said:

Cover letter is a must, free reign to sell yourself. Use the job description as a checklist and illustrate how your skills/experience match what they want. Also worth using it as an opportunity to say why you want to work for them (research them and tie it into their company values).

Top advice.

I can honestly say that in all the recruiting I've ever done, I've never read the cover letter ahead of shortlisting. It might come in to play further along in the process but for me, it's rarely an important factor. 

Then again, that might just be me. I'd always do one for a job for which I was applying.

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Not me, but my other half's job is really annoying me.

She's doing very well (works for Aldi HQ). Her appraisals are excellent, she's been told by her boss she's the best person in her position by far (even though she's only been there 18 months and others have been there 10 years), she does more work than anyone and basically just gets glowing reviews all round.

But there is literally no progression. She's due another pay rise this year, but it's just a standard rise that everyone gets in their second year unless they're useless. After that nothing.
She'll be paid the same as everyone else on her team.

Which would be fine if she could get promoted, but she can't. She reports to a buying director, but they're recruited from Stores so there are no positions above her to go into. Literally nothing. The only position people in her job usually leave to do are PA roles for senior directors, but she doesn't want to do that (she works in purchasing so it's not her field at all)

She recently took on extra work, so she's effectively doing two people's jobs (literally, the other girl left and they haven't recruited anyone else). So I told her she should be asking for a payrise.

She can't. Flat pay grades. Literally no room for rises outside of the usual annual rise that everyone gets.

It just seems utterly pointless. Why do they even have appraisals? There's no benefit to getting good "ratings". There's no motivation to do extra work or take on extra responsibility.

It's a real shame because she loves her job, and she likes the company, but if she wants to be ambitious then she can't stay there.

Seems a really weird setup.

This seems to be fairly common, I've been at a couple of companies like this. You will typically have an appraisal process, manager's rating, feedback from nominated people across the company etc, but absolutely no indexing of performance to pay rises and progression. It's an utterly useless box ticking exercise. If there's no benefit from them then there's simply no incentive at all to do well in your job. 

From my experience, in companies like that, the best way to get a substantial payrise or promotion is to move to another company.

11 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

They have just cut out department down from 80 people to 45 and now the people that stayed are leaving in their droves.

We are supposed to have a maximum case load of 160 injury claims, I'm currently on 240, it's ridiculous, it'll only be a matter of time before they scrap the whole department.

Offshoring work?

Appraisals and ratings are more key to jobs that pay discretionary bonus payments. It is certainly true in my role. Have a poor rating? Sorry, you might only be getting a small bonus. Do very well and it can be a substantial payment. 

But where it is a flat pay grade then there doesn't seem to be any incentives to stand out from the crowd. 

• Like 1

Mentioning offshoring, we get regular industry news pieces sent around the company at work, which covert a huge range of topics, most of them irrelevant and nobody reads them.

One day, a very quiet day with little in my plate, I read one about companies restructuring and so on. It was about 'Northshoring'. The entire thing was written in this slightly excited conspiratorial tone like it was revealing incredible secrets. What is Northshoring? Moving offices out of London.

14 minutes ago, Xela said:

Offshoring work?

Nah I work in Bodily Injury claims and with the threat of these whiplash reforms I think they have panicked and sacked everyone off, its pretty obvious that we are the site that will go first, there is 2 other sites which deal with injury claims, they are obviously stress testing us to find what the absolute maximum workload is.

The job with the police is off the cards as well, 24k a year and the shift pattern in

day 1 - 0700/1700 day 2 - 0700/1700 day 3 1300/2300 day 4 - 1300/2300 day 5 - 2200/0700 day 6 - 2200/0700 and then you get either 3 or 4 days off

**** that, I'd have no problem working days and nights and giving up my weekends but just expecting someone to do 60 hours of mixed shifts with no chance for your body clock to adjust with possibly just 3 days off at the end of it, yeah I'll pass on that, especially for just 24k

3 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

This seems to be fairly common, I've been at a couple of companies like this. You will typically have an appraisal process, manager's rating, feedback from nominated people across the company etc, but absolutely no indexing of performance to pay rises and progression. It's an utterly useless box ticking exercise. If there's no benefit from them then there's simply no incentive at all to do well in your job. 

From my experience, in companies like that, the best way to get a substantial payrise or promotion is to move to another company.

Yeah that's exactly my point. There is just no motivation at all. The only thing motivating her is her natural desire to do a good job. It's no wonder some of her colleagues do **** all. Why should they?

Your last line is the exact advice I've given her. She's coming up to 2 years in the job. I've told her she should be looking for a new job.

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Appraisals and ratings are more key to jobs that pay discretionary bonus payments. It is certainly true in my role. Have a poor rating? Sorry, you might only be getting a small bonus. Do very well and it can be a substantial payment. 

But where it is a flat pay grade then there doesn't seem to be any incentives to stand out from the crowd. 

Yeah just to clarify, I completely agree with an appraisal system. But like you say, with flat paygrades and literally no promotion opportunities, it's pointless.

14 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

But like you say, with flat paygrades and literally no promotion opportunities, it's pointless.

I thought this was the case with my current employer. Then I realised the incentive was to keep your job through achieving your targets. Your reward is you're still employed. And they wonder why people are leaving in droves :rolleyes:

• Like 4

Should i be acknowledging that i dont know the business' internal policies and that i dont have the qualification that the advert says 'may be required' on the cover letter?

I was thinking something like 'Whilst i dont currently hold ... qualification, i am always eager to develop and would look forward to earning the qualification if i was given the role.' ... and something similar about the policies and procedures, basically saying i would ensure i was confident in my knowledge of them. 

4 minutes ago, This Could Be Rotterdam said:

Should i be acknowledging that i dont know the business' internal policies and that i dont have the qualification that the advert says 'may be required' on the cover letter?

I was thinking something like 'Whilst i dont currently hold ... qualification, i am always eager to develop and would look forward to earning the qualification if i was given the role.' ... and something similar about the policies and procedures, basically saying i would ensure i was confident in my knowledge of them. 

Nope. Never point out where you're deficient. It's their job to get that information from you - not for you to point it out.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, This Could Be Rotterdam said:

Only if they specifically ask you about it.

Don't lie about it, but don't volunteer the information unless you're required to.

• Like 2

Â