The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

Great thread.

Has anyone here been to university and taken a gap year during study? I ask as I have started a university course and I am enjoying it, but feel as though I would like to have a year out travelling/working abroad.

Anyone have any experience?

I took a year in industry abroad during the course, then took a 'gap year' after graduating, where I worked for 5-6 months solid as well as applied for graduate jobs, got offered a job to start the following September and travelled for the 6 months in between. 

I wholeheartedly suggest this route as it'll give you some assurances that there is something to come back to, you usually get a golden hello which will help and provided the much needed break.

• Like 1

Looks like my worries were false - currently awaiting a formalised offer following a successful final interview last week. Would be moving to London in a little over 2 months - exciting times!

Congrats!  Even though you are clearly mad to be swapping this fair island for life in the Big Smoke!  Who's it with?

Looks like my worries were false - currently awaiting a formalised offer following a successful final interview last week. Would be moving to London in a little over 2 months - exciting times!

Congrats!  Even though you are clearly mad to be swapping this fair island for life in the Big Smoke!  Who's it with?

Thanks mate. Too good an opportunity to turn down and is quite heart-wrenching to be potentially leaving the family and with my girlfriend taking the decision to come with me regardless of her own position - although don't want to tempt fate and think it's certain as I'm still to see a contract in writing and hand in the dreaded notice (which I am sure will not go down well at all). I'll PM you the company, don't want to jeopardise anything at this stage - it's been one hell of a recruitment process.

• 3 weeks later...

I got head hunted today.

To be a commercial accountant at a "top flight Midlands based football club"

Hmmmmm

I have an interview about this on Monday.

Not a proper interview, like some sort of pre-screening interview.

They still won't tell me the club though!

• Like 1

I got head hunted today.

Hmmmmm

At least you know it isn't Small Heath.

Imagine how cool it would be to be an internet fan forum ITK. All those people saying "Stevo, is it true?" "Lets see what Stevo says" :lol:

Good luck mate.

Imagine if it was Villa though, seeing the finances first hand. A lot of people would pay good money for that!

I guess the finance team get the inside lane on all transfers as the money needs to be lined up in advance in some way or another.

Edited by Genie

Imagine if it was Villa though, seeing the finances first hand. A lot of people would pay good money for that!

I guess the finance team get the inside lane on all transfers as the money needs to be lined up in advance in some way or another.

Part of the role is specifically regarding transfers and tracking money due/owed etc

And complying with FFP

Sounds pretty interesting (to a boring accountant)

Had a very quick turn around from applying to job offer this week. I applied on Monday, called back within 20 mins. Interview Wednesday second interview on Thursday and just been offered the job this morning.  

Wasnt sure how the interview went the interviewer was very hard to judge. Its a job role I really want, in an industry I want to work in, for what seems to be the perfect company in terms of what I was looking for and the scope and development of the role.

Good things come to those who wait (and try really hard to get them)

• Like 1

It's often difficult to judge how well an interview went. At the end of a decent interview one of the interviewers asked me what football team I supported and we had a friendly chat about it (she was a gloryhunter). I left thinking you wouldn't ask that question if you weren't interested in hiring someone.

I didn't get the job.

I got head hunted today.

Hmmmmm

Is Stevo our new assistant manager or director of football?

• Like 1

I'm at a bit of a crossroads in my career.  I've been on secondment to London for the past 3 1/2 years and now it seems that the "powers that be" deem that it is time that I returned back to a main site as I've been away for too long.  I love the work I do whilst on secondment, and whilst I miss the home life, I dread going back.  I have chats with various managers on Monday as I don't want to just return to a "holding job" when I go back.  Hopefully, I'll come across well and they'll be able to offer me something reasonable (at my current level) with some interesting work.  The thing I need to get out of it is that I want a promotion within the next year and if I just went back to that "holding job", I don't think I'll be given that opportunity.  

• Like 1

My goal for 2015 is to get to 30k. I was hoping to be earning the same as my age, I never wanted to go below that, but... I'm 26 now and I'm on 25k. Grrrr. With my current role which I only started last month there is potential to go further, which was what I needed. However, I'm one of those guys that thinks I could only ever earn the really big bucks if I went to Uni. I just don't understand how people do so well when they haven't been, it's incredible.

What's people thoughts on uni - did you go ?

I didn't go to Uni myself, started as trainee in IT around 1998 but by that time I was building up computers etc since Windows 95 came out and then Windows 98 and gained my Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer and other IT qualifications from 2000.

Don't think Uni is the be all of everything is my personal view, I have been IT Contracting the last 3 years (Left a perm job to go long term IT contracting) and earning a good rate of pay.

I wouldn't listen to what the guy says who said you only can earn big bucks if you went to Uni.

Edited by Villan4Life

My goal for 2015 is to get to 30k. I was hoping to be earning the same as my age, I never wanted to go below that, but... I'm 26 now and I'm on 25k. Grrrr. With my current role which I only started last month there is potential to go further, which was what I needed. However, I'm one of those guys that thinks I could only ever earn the really big bucks if I went to Uni. I just don't understand how people do so well when they haven't been, it's incredible.

I didn't go to Uni myself, started as trainee in IT around 1998 but by that time I was building up computers etc since Windows 95 came out and then Windows 98 and gained my Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer and other IT qualifications from 2000.

Don't think Uni is the be all of everything is my personal view, I have been IT Contracting the last 3 years (Left a perm job to go long term IT contracting) and earning a good rate of pay.

I wouldn't listen to what the guy says who said you only can earn big bucks if you went to Uni.

You're an IT Contractor?... We need to talk.... Edited by Tayls
  • Like 1

You're an IT Contractor?... We need to talk....

no problem mate, what do you need to know?

You're an IT Contractor?... We need to talk....

no problem mate, what do you need to know?

Just dropped you a message fella

• Like 1

Â