$200 Million Takeover

supernova26

This just isn't going to happen is it. I believed so much that the club would be sold, or at least Randy had something lined up. But now my hope is gone.

After around 4 weeks since he announced the club is up for sale u've given up!?!?!?

Perfect.

Well I think that there is a realisation hitting people that a bottom half team with a team made up mostly of highly paid has beings or Championship level players in desperate need of investment is not actually worth £200million of any billionaires money?

As has been said in the past, there's a lot of money in football these days what with the TV money and all that. That's where these kind of figures come from.

Well it was rumoured before that an American owner would want Klinnsman as manager. If so they may not want to disrupt the American National team during the WC.

And a takeover would have to happen at the same time as an appointment of a new manager?

Don't be silly...

If the plan was to take over Villa and then employ Klinsmann, then I can see why they would wait until the WC was over.

We're not Man Utd. USA might not release Klinsmann to talk to little Aston Villa in the middle of a World Cup or World Cup preparations, like Holland allowed Van Gaal.

If it's a concern that Klinsmann wouldn't be officially appointed until after the WC, then the owners might not want to complete the takeover until then too.

If they took over the club in June, and then didn't replace Lambert for over a month, fans would probably moan that no-one had been appointed. By waiting until the WC has finished, they're just deflecting the abuse to Lerner, who is being blamed for 'selling slowly', instead of starting their new reign with criticism.

(All big 'if's, but I can see why owners might wait to complete a take over).

• Like 2

This just isn't going to happen is it. I believed so much that the club would be sold, or at least Randy had something lined up. But now my hope is gone.

After around 4 weeks since he announced the club is up for sale u've given up!?!?!?

Perfect.

Well I think that there is a realisation hitting people that a bottom half team with a team made up mostly of highly paid has beings or Championship level players in desperate need of investment is not actually worth £200million of any billionaires money?

As has been said in the past, there's a lot of money in football these days what with the TV money and all that. That's where these kind of figures come from.

Profit is a far greater indication of a companies worth than turnover and we have not really got a great record on that under Lerner? Plus people will look at how much they need to spend to get us stable again?

With regards to Van Gaal, wasn't his contract always up after the World Cup so every knew he was leaving anyway? Klinnsman I don't know when his contract is up? I assume not straight after the World Cup?

Hmm. Good point. Klinsmann signed a contract extension last year to take him to the 2018 World Cup and took on the extra role of US Soccer Federation's technical director.

Actually, that rather knocks on the head the idea that he's going to give up his role with the USA team to come to a club with a threadbare squad struggling in the premier league, doesn't it?

Since it was always total fantasy, like all the other claims made in this thread, I guess it's not too disappointing.

Well it was rumoured before that an American owner would want Klinnsman as manager. If so they may not want to disrupt the American National team during the WC.

And a takeover would have to happen at the same time as an appointment of a new manager?

Don't be silly...

If the plan was to take over Villa and then employ Klinsmann, then I can see why they would wait until the WC was over.

We're not Man Utd. USA might not release Klinsmann to talk to little Aston Villa in the middle of a World Cup or World Cup preparations, like Holland allowed Van Gaal.

If it's a concern that Klinsmann wouldn't be officially appointed until after the WC, then the owners might not want to complete the takeover until then too.

If they took over the club in June, and then didn't replace Lambert for over a month, fans would probably moan that no-one had been appointed. By waiting until the WC has finished, they're just deflecting the abuse to Lerner, who is being blamed for 'selling slowly', instead of starting their new reign with criticism.

(All big 'if's, but I can see why owners might wait to complete a take over).

If paying hundreds of millions, you don't wait for other parties to potentially declare interest on the chance that you miss out on your first preference as manager.

You buy the club, sack lambert and wait until after world cup to appoint klinsmann.

Crazy stuff. Come on folks, think logically about this.

So BBC reporting no deal imminent and the likelihood is we'll start the season with Lerner still owner.

Big question for me - will he give Lambert money to spend now? And if so, how much? (I personally think somewhere in the region of £10m - £15m)

This news isn't a real shock and hasn't changed my opinion of how we'll do next season - I actually think we'll be 'ok' and nothing more (although September's fixtures are a worry!!!!)

So BBC reporting no deal imminent and the likelihood is we'll start the season with Lerner still owner.

Big question for me - will he give Lambert money to spend now? And if so, how much? (I personally think somewhere in the region of £10m - £15m)

This news isn't a real shock and hasn't changed my opinion of how we'll do next season - I actually think we'll be 'ok' and nothing more (although September's fixtures are a worry!!!!)

They're basing it on this quote from an apparent expert:

"A sale won't happen overnight. Once a genuine buyer comes forward, you are looking at a period of at least three months to complete a sale."

Edited by samjp26

I actually think we have a group of players with lots of potential; all that we are lacking is the extra funding to push us on (which a new owner can hopefully provide). Blaming the players or Lambert for the takeover not happening (immediately) is crazy.

No but we can blame them for making us an undesirable purchase......I wouldn't spend £200m on that shower of shite. Potential ?.....Jesus wept.

• Like 1

Stay On Topic

Please keep things on topic - that means in the relevant forum and thread. If one thread exists with the same/similar subject, please post in that rather than creating a whole new thread.

The BBC were reporting Lerner was not actively looking to sell the club back in February, besides this article actually says the club will likely be sold but nothing more than what we already know now. Things can change very quickly. Furthermore - it is frustrating because we are (largely) in the dark about the sale, I remember the process being much more overt in 2006. Although in 06,  the takeover news started to kick-off in late July after DOL's exit.
Edited by GENTLEMAN

Has this been posted already?

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-no-buyer-place-7302050

Aston Villa: No buyer in place and a sale before the start of the season now looks unlikely

Randy Lerner

Aston Villa are increasingly likely to start next season with the Randy Lerner regime still in control of the club and no imminent prospect of a takeover.

The Birmingham Mail understands there is no buyer in place, and in any event, time is running out to complete any sale process before Villa kick off their Premier League campaign at Stoke on Saturday, August 16.

Bank of America Merrill Lynch have been tasked with helping Lerner find a would-be new owner willing to meet his asking price, believed to be in the region of £150 million to £200 million.

Despite a raft of rumours linking Villa with billionaires from across the globe, nobody has emerged as a serious frontrunner, with the new campaign just nine weeks away.

Randy's spending
View gallery

Having been given the go ahead to continue as manager following a meeting with Lerner in the United States last month, Paul Lambert has been planning for next season.

Villa have released Marc Albrighton and Nathan Delfouneso and sold Jordan Bowery to Rotherham, as well as starting their summer recruitment with the free transfer arrivals of Philippe Senderos and Joe Cole, while Lambert still hopes to confirm Roy Keane as his assistant in time for pre-season training in early July.

Mail comment: Villa fans owe Randy Lerner a debt of gratitude

Football finance expert Peter Knowles admits a takeover before August 16 is highly unlikely – but he does not expect the sale to develop into a drawn-out saga.

“Once a genuine buyer comes forward, I would think you are looking at at least a period of three months to complete a sale,” he said. “That’s what it is likely to take from the point of a memorandum of understanding being in place to a potential takeover going through.

“They wouldn’t need to look at the books because it is all public anyway. Of course there is the fit and proper persons test, but that doesn’t seem to be the most stringent thing ever.

“I think it will sell. I don’t think it will rumble on like Carson Yeung at Birmingham City. I believe Aston Villa will be sold because it is a big Premier League club, with great tradition in a premier city.

“Randy Lerner has grown increasingly frustrated at the club, but I don’t think announcing the club was up for sale before a buyer was in place has helped the process.

“Merrill Lynch should have been instructed well before that announcement was made, but they are very good and I am confident they will find a buyer. A sale won’t happen overnight, but I don’t expect it to drag on forever either.”

I actually think we have a group of players with lots of potential; all that we are lacking is the extra funding to push us on (which a new owner can hopefully provide). Blaming the players or Lambert for the takeover not happening (immediately) is crazy.

No but we can blame them for making us an undesirable purchase......I wouldn't spend £200m on that shower of shite. Potential ?.....Jesus wept.

You can't blame them for us not being taken over.

The blame lies with Lerner and it is part of the ultimate plan of the football gods. I do think it will happen one day. Things can change quickly and we will have our moment in the sun. I just think there will be a lot more pain before we ever experience that.

When Man City were in league 2, if you told people they would be champions and the richest club in the world in a few years time you would probably have been sectioned.

Anythings possible. Just takes time.

• Like 2

Has this been posted already?

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-no-buyer-place-7302050

Aston Villa: No buyer in place and a sale before the start of the season now looks unlikely

Randy Lerner

Aston Villa are increasingly likely to start next season with the Randy Lerner regime still in control of the club and no imminent prospect of a takeover.

The Birmingham Mail understands there is no buyer in place, and in any event, time is running out to complete any sale process before Villa kick off their Premier League campaign at Stoke on Saturday, August 16.

Bank of America Merrill Lynch have been tasked with helping Lerner find a would-be new owner willing to meet his asking price, believed to be in the region of £150 million to £200 million.

Despite a raft of rumours linking Villa with billionaires from across the globe, nobody has emerged as a serious frontrunner, with the new campaign just nine weeks away.

Randy's spending
View gallery

Having been given the go ahead to continue as manager following a meeting with Lerner in the United States last month, Paul Lambert has been planning for next season.

Villa have released Marc Albrighton and Nathan Delfouneso and sold Jordan Bowery to Rotherham, as well as starting their summer recruitment with the free transfer arrivals of Philippe Senderos and Joe Cole, while Lambert still hopes to confirm Roy Keane as his assistant in time for pre-season training in early July.

Mail comment: Villa fans owe Randy Lerner a debt of gratitude

Football finance expert Peter Knowles admits a takeover before August 16 is highly unlikely – but he does not expect the sale to develop into a drawn-out saga.

“Once a genuine buyer comes forward, I would think you are looking at at least a period of three months to complete a sale,” he said. “That’s what it is likely to take from the point of a memorandum of understanding being in place to a potential takeover going through.

“They wouldn’t need to look at the books because it is all public anyway. Of course there is the fit and proper persons test, but that doesn’t seem to be the most stringent thing ever.

“I think it will sell. I don’t think it will rumble on like Carson Yeung at Birmingham City. I believe Aston Villa will be sold because it is a big Premier League club, with great tradition in a premier city.

“Randy Lerner has grown increasingly frustrated at the club, but I don’t think announcing the club was up for sale before a buyer was in place has helped the process.

“Merrill Lynch should have been instructed well before that announcement was made, but they are very good and I am confident they will find a buyer. A sale won’t happen overnight, but I don’t expect it to drag on forever either.”

Yes, the BBC had a near identical article.

Edited by GENTLEMAN

That is a superficial issue IMO. I do not think recent league positions/performances makes a huge difference regarding a takeover, clubs are usually in a bad way/under-achieving state before they are sold. Although, I suppose, the perception and reputation of the team may be used as a negotiation tactic to get the price down.

What is so objectionable about my "potential" comment?

Edited by GENTLEMAN