supernova26

Keane's not a bully though

According to Sir Alex F, he is.

http://www.irishpost.co.uk/sport/fergie-roy-keane-picked-on-john-oshea

Fergie: ‘Roy Keane picked on John O’Shea’
By Irish Post on October 23, 2013
  •  
roy-keane-n.jpg

Ferguson claims that Roy Keane (top left) bullied younger teammate John O’Shea (right)

ROY KEANE picked on Manchester United and Ireland teammate John O’Shea, according to Alex Ferguson.

In his latest autobiography, Ferguson address the MUTV incident which played a part in Keane’s leaving Old Trafford.

He writes: “As for blaming the young players? He wouldn’t have aimed that accusation at Wayne Rooney, who wouldn’t have stood for it. The senior players would sort him out. [Darren] Fletcher and O’Shea are the two he picked on, and they were booed as a result by our fans.”

On Keane’s departure from the club, Ferguson says: “In one deep sense, him leaving was the best thing that could have happened, because a lot of the players were intimidated by him in the dressing room, and those players emerged well from his departure. John O’Shea and Darren Fletcher were certainly beneficiaries…

“I think the dressing room relaxed when Roy left. Relief swept the room.”

Read more explosive criticisms from Alex Ferguson of his former captain here, including how Ferguson successfully talked Keane into playing for Ireland in the World Cup following the Saipan incident only to find Mick McCarthy had already informed the press that Keane had been kicked out.

He might be better suited for a #2 role. Even if you hate him, he'd bring a winning pedigree and a hard nosed mentality to the team, and that's something we desperately need. I'm not opposed to this. He's not my first choice by any stretch, but still.

• Like 4

I agree he was a great player in his day, but he hasn't brought a winning pedigree to any of the teams he's managed. He's been crap everywhere he's been and has upset a lot of people in his time as a player and a coach.

He had an incident with Mich McCarthy when he was captain of the ROI and was sent home, had the tunnel bust-up with Viera, numerous rows with Fergie from the sounds of things and reports of him bullying his Man Utd teammates. Is this really the guy to bring in to replace Culverhouse when he himself was sacked for bullying? There are few people in the game with more of a temper than Roy Keane. It just seems a daft appointment if it's true.

I'm not sure how is appointment will add steel to the side. We'll probably end up collecting more yellow cards than we already do. I'm not encouraged by this news at all.

Edited by Ginko

I agree he was a great player in his day, but he hasn't brought a winning pedigree to any of the teams he's managed. He's been crap everywhere he's been and has upset a lot of people in his time as a player and a coach.

He didn't do too bad at Sunderland really. Manager of the year when he took them up, kept them up the following season. Left after a poor start the next year. 

People were talking about how Meulensteen would be a great appointment, even though he has a horrible record in management.

Now the actual appointment is being judged off his record in management. Seems a bit bizarre to me.

(For the record, I really don't like keane or the appontment, and I also think Meulensteen would've been a great assistant at villa. But the logic is flawed)

Really wouldn't be surprised if nothing came of this whole Keane thing. Maybe it's just there to distract from what's really going on regarding the takeover. Was it not Nursey who came out with Lambert extension story?

An appointment of Roy Keane as Lambert's #2 might not mean a thing once the new owner comes in and does what he wants to do. Lambert/Keane simply might not be in his plans. It's a little perplexing that Keane would even take the job now, knowing the club is up for sale and he might not be retained. He'd look foolish.

An appointment of Roy Keane as Lambert's #2 might not mean a thing once the new owner comes in and does what he wants to do. Lambert/Keane simply might not be in his plans. It's a little perplexing that Keane would even take the job now, knowing the club is up for sale and he might not be retained. He'd look foolish.

Makes perfect sense that he'd take it given that he's already got 2 other jobs and that we're willing to let him keep them suggests to me that he's been told this is by no means long term

Edited by P3te

just extra pocket money for him. Maybe he knows its only for a short term. Great news if Randy will drop his asking price. I would think hes after 250 million and will now accept low 200m. The 200m figure was just paper talk imo. For all we know he could have been asking for 300m to get most his money back.

Edited by KSV

Randy Lerner is ready to drop his asking price for Aston Villa - from £200million to £150m.

The American is actively trying to sell the club and brokers have now sounded out potential buyers at a reduced price.

Lerner hoped to do business at £200 million when he was in discussions with un-named bidders in the States.

However, Mirror Sport can reveal...

I seriously doubt Alan Nixon has any inside information, that article reads like a 'best of panic' posts from this forum.

Actually, I thought it read like an April fool teaser.

Look - this is the poorest form of journalism going. The guy has quite obviously written a nothing piece just to stir up the Villa fans into a panic frenzy. He's probably got his cock out under the table and jostling with his foreskin as he reads this thread watching us all 'panic' and cry into our cheerios.  

Nothing to see here. Lazy, lazy, ignorant journalism.

Because if you were talking to a "journalist" (I use that word in its loosest sense) about reducing the price you would tell them that if any buyer hangs on you will reduce it further in due course. That would make perfect sense.

One interesting point about Keane (steady Trent this will be on topic I promise!)

Howard Hodgson tweeted the following picture pic.twitter.com/eNalkNYhRv that he said he got sent a week ago saying Keane was at Villa Park with the new owners.

So fingers crossed new investment is nearer than we think. More important than Lambert or Keane is some actual money to spend on footballers!!

Why are fans on here so pessimistic? They spend all season demanding that Lerner sells the club. When he finally does put the wheels in motion every little development means that we are never getting taken over. I'm no expert on selling football clubs but I'm pretty sure it's quite a slow process. Just have a bit of patience and maybe stop slagging Lerner off at every opportunity?

• Like 1

What's with the mirror suddenly having loads of villa rumours?

I hope Randolf is dropping the price, I would like to think the lower price paid = more money pumped into the team.