$200 Million Takeover

supernova26

No significant information has been revealed today, at least not on this thread. Yes I read it all. You are welcome.

Not true we know that there is one bidder, US, owns another American team and they want to buy for under £200m.  RL needs to lower his price.  But RL wants it done asap.

That was revealed yesterday

Whatever happend to JulieB.  I remember defending her on numerous occassions only for her to block me on twitter and throw a hissy fit when I did not agree with her intel on something. Weird.

She said that Kiyotake was flying into Birmingham, i posted a video of him and Kagawa doing and event in Japan just hours before. She blocked me and told everyone i was sexist. She came out and said that she had never had any kind of info on transfers. Never got that apology.

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 1

Someone claims in TBAR that all staff in Villa have been asked to apply again for their job...if that's true, I wonder what will happen to our Jack!

Clearly cobblers because if there was a takeover all of the staff would transfer automatically under TUPE.

TUPE?

Yes. Without being too anal, the Transfer of Undertaking (Protection of Employment) Regulations 2006.

Ah thanks, as I'm not from UK I don't know english laws.

TUPE - Just means they honour service of previous employers - then can still make you redundant on day 1 - but they have to pay you for your years of service.

I doubt it applies - we aren't merging, we will still be Aston Villa

Howard Hodgson apparently has said in twitter that PL and PF are planning for the new season, and the sale (if I got that right) won't happen quickly. Would anyone in here trust what he says?

The thread is now just childish, repetitive and boring. It wasn't funny before and now it's even worse. Think I'll go off to a different thread.

I got that one... "one for the road" is "off to another thread"... get it?

My own post gave me a thought.  We should make RL read this thread repeatedly until the sale is done.  That would speed things up!

No significant information has been revealed today, at least not on this thread. Yes I read it all. You are welcome.

Not true we know that there is one bidder, US, owns another American team and they want to buy for under £200m.  RL needs to lower his price.  But RL wants it done asap.

I thought it was 3am today? Apologies if not.

Howard Hodgson apparently has said in twitter that PL and PF are planning for the new season, and the sale (if I got that right) won't happen quickly. Would anyone in here trust what he says?

I thought Tom Ross tweeted him that, not the other way round.

I think it was Tom Ross who said that in a conversation with Howard.

Well that's entirely feasible. We know that Lerner has been keen to sell for a while - and on face value no buyer has been found. 

Oh, my mistake.

Who's Tom Ross then? Some journo?

I think it was Tom Ross who said that in a conversation with Howard.

Ron Toss that well known Villa insider!

I don't know if this has already been posted somewhere, but The Economist have taken a stab at proving what will all know, that spending more = more points.

The booty-full game May 12th 2014, 13:29  by J.M.F. and D.H.
  • timekeeper-btn.png

In football, managers matter. But not as much as money does

WHISTLES were blown across stadiums of the English Premier League on May 11th, bringing the domestic football season to an end. Manchester City were crowned as champions, confirming what most pundits had anticipated at the beginning of the season. For many, it was a foregone conclusion. City are the richest club in the league (they are owned by a Emirati billionaire). This affords them the best players, and they lavish the greatest amounts on pay, spending £330m ($550m) last year. Liverpool, who valiantly fought City to the wire, spent £100m less on remunerating their team. Just how much does money matter?

The Economist has crunched the numbers on the relationship between performance (the number of points a team accumulates at the end of the season) and pay (the amount a club spends on wages as a percentage of the season’s median) for 34 clubs that have played in the Premier League since 1996. By our calculations, spending on pay explains 55% of the variation in clubs’ performance. There is evidence, too, that winning teams beget higher wages. Either way, there is still room for good management. Sir Alex Ferguson, who retired as Manchester United’s manager last year, was remarkable in his outperformance: over 19 seasons his teams gained 15 points more on average than would have been expected given the amount the club spent on wages. These margins matter. Had he been an average manager, he would have won just one title. Instead, he won eleven. 

Oh, my mistake.

Not saying he is wrong. But he has a superficial understanding of football, really doubt he has any understanding at all on whats going on.

Oh, my mistake.

Not saying he is wrong. But he has a superficial understanding of football, really doubt he has any understanding at all on whats going on.

Oh...well now I feel silly.

I don't know if this has already been posted somewhere, but The Economist have taken a stab at proving what will all know, that spending more = more points.

The booty-full game May 12th 2014, 13:29  by J.M.F. and D.H.
  • timekeeper-btn.png
  •  
  •  

In football, managers matter. But not as much as money does

WHISTLES were blown across stadiums of the English Premier League on May 11th, bringing the domestic football season to an end. Manchester City were crowned as champions, confirming what most pundits had anticipated at the beginning of the season. For many, it was a foregone conclusion. City are the richest club in the league (they are owned by a Emirati billionaire). This affords them the best players, and they lavish the greatest amounts on pay, spending £330m ($550m) last year. Liverpool, who valiantly fought City to the wire, spent £100m less on remunerating their team. Just how much does money matter?

The Economist has crunched the numbers on the relationship between performance (the number of points a team accumulates at the end of the season) and pay (the amount a club spends on wages as a percentage of the season’s median) for 34 clubs that have played in the Premier League since 1996. By our calculations, spending on pay explains 55% of the variation in clubs’ performance. There is evidence, too, that winning teams beget higher wages. Either way, there is still room for good management. Sir Alex Ferguson, who retired as Manchester United’s manager last year, was remarkable in his outperformance: over 19 seasons his teams gained 15 points more on average than would have been expected given the amount the club spent on wages. These margins matter. Had he been an average manager, he would have won just one title. Instead, he won eleven. 

But they also proved it's only 55% of the equation.  That's not an extremely strong correlation.  And they also note that correlation is not causality, sometimes they spend more because they are successful, not to become successful.

Well that's entirely feasible. We know that Lerner has been keen to sell for a while - and on face value no buyer has been found. 

It certainly appears as if there's interest though.

Someone claims in TBAR that all staff in Villa have been asked to apply again for their job...if that's true, I wonder what will happen to our Jack!

Clearly cobblers because if there was a takeover all of the staff would transfer automatically under TUPE.

TUPE?

Yes. Without being too anal, the Transfer of Undertaking (Protection of Employment) Regulations 2006.

Ah thanks, as I'm not from UK I don't know english laws.

TUPE - Just means they honour service of previous employers - then can still make you redundant on day 1 - but they have to pay you for your years of service.

I doubt it applies - we aren't merging, we will still be Aston Villa

Indeed. A transfer of shares does not amount to a TUPE transfer so it won't apply.

If what that TBAR chap says is true, it sounds like there may be a redundancy situation going on. Maybe Randy is planning a cull of non-playing staff to get the operating costs down. That in turn implies a deal has not already been stuck. 

So the good ship Aston Villa lies in perilous waters - but we all having a laugh at the demise of yet another ITK ...

...wouldn't happen at Liverpoool

Ah! But Liverpool wouldn't have ITK's they'd have ITB's (you gotta get that haven't you???) :P