Leicester City

Villan4Life

13 minutes ago, BOF said:

You're right HV but as I've said above, it's not up to Vardy to then turn around and decide what should be done next, or whether anything at all should be done next.  If an apology is not enough then tell him that and let the governing body do whatever they deem necessary.

Sure, not technically or legally, he doesn't have to do anything. He could of course choose to make further amends off his own bat, but I agree that once he has apologised he has done the minimum necessary to move the ball into the authorities' court. As you say, if we're unhappy with the punishment ultimately the FA share the majority of that blame. 

3 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Question is why is the journalist digging up this old news now that Vardy has broken the Premier League record rather than focusing on his achievements?

Well, what he said (in a tweet, I believe?) was:

'Well done, you massive racist'

So he was doing both at the same time. 

What makes somebody a "massive" racist anyway?

Hitler was a massive racist. The American south was full of massive racists a few decades ago. 

I'm not sure Jamie Vardy calling somebody a jap makes him a "massive" racist.

• Like 1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Hitler was a massive racist. The American south was full of massive racists a few decades ago. 

Overreacting social justice warriors, they typically have no sense of perspective, talk in hyperbole and no act of repentance is ever good enough.

• Like 1

I don't see what the issue is there If he had said word removed or Chav instead would it have made a difference? I know racist has harsher connotations but you make your bed etc. RvP gets called a rapist til this day and nobody bats an eyelid.

21 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Question is why is the journalist digging up this old news now that Vardy has broken the Premier League record rather than focusing on his achievements?

I assume that's because he now has the ideal platform to say or do something to address his previous misdemeanour. How large you consider the misdemeanour or what exactly he should do is really just a matter of opinion.

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

I like how the term racist is more offensive to some people than actual racial epithets :lol: . 

I don't buy the "it was a lapse in judgement" or "just a mistake" lines. I see that as their true colours coming out tbh. There's no reason to use racial slurs if you don't hold racist views.The only lapse in judgement was the fact that they actually said it out loud. I see nothing wrong with mentioning a person is a racist, especially in an offhand comment. 

Who thinks that?

I can't see anyone saying that in this discussion. 

18 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think there is a difference between someone being a racist and someone making a racist comment. I don't know what category Vardy falls into and neither does the journalist. That's why the article is over the top sensationalist journalism. 

I may have said an 'Irish' joke in the last ten years. Does that make me a racist? 

29 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

This is being a bit obtuse. The word 'massive', especially when tossed out in a tweet, doesn't mean 'biggest in the entire history of the world'. For example, I have described Piers Morgan as a 'massive bellend' before. That doesn't mean he's the worst person in human history. I really don't think Liew is suggesting Vardy is morally equivalent to Nazi's and slaveowners. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

This is being a bit obtuse. The word 'massive', especially when tossed out in a tweet, doesn't mean 'biggest in the entire history of the world'. For example, I have described Piers Morgan as a 'massive bellend' before. That doesn't mean he's the worst person in human history. I really don't think Liew is suggesting Vardy is morally equivalent to Nazi's and slaveowners. 

He's in the top 3 surely? :)

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I still think it matters though.

If I used the N word and somebody called me racist, I'd probably say fair enough. Shouldn't have said that, you're right.

But if somebody called me a "massive racist" then I think I'd take exception to that. To me that implies that you haven't just said something racist, but that you actually are a racist. And they are two different things entirely, imo.

So no I don't think the journalist was being too literal. But when he's clearly trying to be taken seriously, and feels it is a very serious issue, it's a bit silly to start calling somebody a MASSIVE racist because they said the word Jap.

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I still think it matters though.

If I used the N word and somebody called me racist, I'd probably say fair enough. Shouldn't have said that, you're right.

But if somebody called me a "massive racist" then I think I'd take exception to that. To me that implies that you haven't just said something racist, but that you actually are a racist. And they are two different things entirely, imo.

So no I don't think the journalist was being too literal. But when he's clearly trying to be taken seriously, and feels it is a very serious issue, it's a bit silly to start calling somebody a MASSIVE racist because they said the word Jap.

I think the point here is that the tweet was probably a sarky joke, and that he ended up defending what he'd written seriously as a result of online pushback. The term 'massive racist' isn't present in his subsequent written response. It's pretty clearly a jokey exaggeration - here is the first Google result for search term "massive racist":

• Like 1

Â