Children taking holidays in term time

Genie

Basically, wondered what the VT community thought about this subject.

Its something I think about more now as I have 2 nippers, the oldest will start school in September.

When I wa' a lad I was fortunate to go on plenty of foreign holidays and they were often in term time and it was never a big deal. Just like now in a working environment there is a bit of a spike of work to get on top of when I returned but its manageable within a few days.

I'm surprised given the bad feeling about fines and the pressure on the government to look into holiday pricing outside of term time that nobody has floated the idea of some term time holidays for children not in exam years?

The sensible solution to me to a number of the issues would be to allow children to take 1 week (or better still, 6 days so that departures are not limited to weekends) per year to take a holiday outside if term time if they want to.

It could be planned around plus it would create a year round demand for the tour operators which would naturally even out holiday pricing.

What do you think? Too sensible to be considered?

• Like 2

If parents are going to catch the kids up on what they miss in school go for it. Don't expect teachers to fill in the gaps when kids have missed the start of a topic and are left behind on certain concepts for the next few years.

send them to an American camp - during UK term time they should be able to avoid Stef*

* who in all fairness, I've used as an example to my eldest as somebody that commutes / works / plays in the U.S. as a career option

• Like 1

I think it should be frowned upon. A day here or there isn't terrible, but if you're taking them out for 2 weeks then it doesn't seem right.

I don't agree with fining the parents for it though.

I think it should be frowned upon. A day here or there isn't terrible, but if you're taking them out for 2 weeks then it doesn't seem right.

I don't agree with fining the parents for it though.

My suggestion was 1 week, up until year 10 when they start their GCSE's

My parents always used to take us on holiday in the 1st week back at school in September. Used to mess my whole year up. But my parents got cheap holidays so they were happy.

As long as it's arranged and agreed with the headteachers then fine because they will know better times when not much is going on. I don't like that most have misinterpreted the rules and are denying all requests because it was always meant to be discretionary.

Teacher here! But as it's anonymous I can tell you what a lot of us really think - do it! There are a few caveats though...

It largely depends on the age of the child. Children entering Nursery/ Reception learn through play and experiences. That is the philosophy of the curriculum. There are 7 areas of learning and one of those in Understanding the World. What better than experiencing holidays, different countries? And the language children come back with is amazing. In Early Years a holiday is just an extended class trip!

Can you not afford to go during conventional holidays? Why should your children miss out because of rich narrow minded politicians?

If Year 2 or 6 try to avoid it. If in May to July try to avoid it in all years as this is key assessment, plugging gaps periods.

Really importantly, don't ask school for time off for hols. They are legally not allowed to agree anymore. You will be fined. But if the child is sick...

But officially of course your children should come to school every day because they will end up on the dole if they miss a week or so of school and that's why teachers spend weeks on absolutely vital Nativity plays and dance festivals and Christmas Parties... You know, same way you're completely lost when you return to work after a week away.

Rant over ;)

• Like 2

People slag off the teachers if the parents get fined. Which is pretty stupid considering:

1) It's the LEA who impose the fines.

2) You won't get fined until you start to take the piss (more than 2 weeks per term). And even then, it's checked and checked before any inclination of a fine is

**** anybody who says 'fine the teachers who striked today' because it's disgustingly ignorant.

The reason kids are meant to be in school is because there is so much to squeeze in the week these days. They miss a day, they miss a topic/lesson that may not be repeated for a good few weeks. It's the holiday company's fault so don't blame it on us.

* who in all fairness, I've used as an example to my eldest as somebody that commutes / works / plays in the U.S. as a career option

I'd fully recommend it while at uni, because it's the last chance you really can do it.

Can't you time your holidays for when the teachers are striking and then it's not an issue as school will be closed and you can get the cheap holiday

( unless every parent has the same idea )

The 6 week summer holiday was invented when hardly anyone went abroad. Holiday companies get the stick because they charge their highest prices at the peak demand, which is understandable.

Reduce summer holidays to 4 or 5 weeks and stagger them, the south in June, the midlands in July, and north in August.

In that way the holiday season will enjoy a longer peak, with hotel rooms full for longer, and less aircraft required because the ones in place can be used to their optimum. The longer peak should lead to more reasonable pricing, as 12-15 weeks of decent revenues will equal the present 6 week mega peak plus 6 to 9 weeks of poor revenues, and will therefore average out better.

If this did not lead to more reasonable pricing, then I would point the finger at the holiday companies.

• Like 1

It's the holiday company's fault so don't blame it on us

It's really not. That's just supply and demand. Holiday companies just charge what people will pay to fill their places in and outside term time. If they made it cheaper there'd be even more of a rush to pack holiday parks and packages in half terms or summer. Standard market forces at play here.

The real issue is the supposed mandatory fines. There needs to be some give and take and some better understanding of the guidelines. Heads take it far too literally. Finally term times need to be staggered more between schools so there is a wider window for holiday companies to fill with families, which will bring prices down.

Every LEA is different on their rules. Coming barging into the school and having a go at teachers (which some have done) isn't the right thing to do. To be honest, the fines are reasonable. If you take your kid out of school for more than 10 days for something as trivial as a holiday, you deserve to be fined. That's 80 lessons in primary and like 120 in secondary.

People slag off the teachers if the parents get fined. Which is pretty stupid considering:

1) It's the LEA who impose the fines.

2) You won't get fined until you start to take the piss (more than 2 weeks per term). And even then, it's checked and checked before any inclination of a fine is

**** anybody who says 'fine the teachers who striked today' because it's disgustingly ignorant.

The reason kids are meant to be in school is because there is so much to squeeze in the week these days. They miss a day, they miss a topic/lesson that may not be repeated for a good few weeks. It's the holiday company's fault so don't blame it on us.

Not necessairily. Depends on your LEA. My LA operates a very different scheme 5 days holiday will pretty much guarantee a fine.

The 6 week summer holiday was invented when hardly anyone went abroad. Holiday companies get the stick because they charge their highest prices at the peak demand, which is understandable.

Reduce summer holidays to 4 or 5 weeks and stagger them, the south in June, the midlands in July, and north in August.

In that way the holiday season will enjoy a longer peak, with hotel rooms full for longer, and less aircraft required because the ones in place can be used to their optimum. The longer peak should lead to more reasonable pricing, as 12-15 weeks of decent revenues will equal the present 6 week mega peak plus 6 to 9 weeks of poor revenues, and will therefore average out better.

If this did not lead to more reasonable pricing, then I would point the finger at the holiday companies.

This by far the most sensible post on this subject.

Teacher here! But as it's anonymous I can tell you what a lot of us really think - do it! There are a few caveats though...

It largely depends on the age of the child. Children entering Nursery/ Reception learn through play and experiences. That is the philosophy of the curriculum. There are 7 areas of learning and one of those in Understanding the World. What better than experiencing holidays, different countries? And the language children come back with is amazing. In Early Years a holiday is just an extended class trip!

Can you not afford to go during conventional holidays? Why should your children miss out because of rich narrow minded politicians?

If Year 2 or 6 try to avoid it. If in May to July try to avoid it in all years as this is key assessment, plugging gaps periods.

Really importantly, don't ask school for time off for hols. They are legally not allowed to agree anymore. You will be fined. But if the child is sick...

But officially of course your children should come to school every day because they will end up on the dole if they miss a week or so of school and that's why teachers spend weeks on absolutely vital Nativity plays and dance festivals and Christmas Parties... You know, same way you're completely lost when you return to work after a week away.

Rant over ;)

EDIT. 2nd thoughts

Edited by Eames

The trouble with the fines for holidays is that they target the wrong people disproportionately.

A family who can only look forward to a £9.50 Sun trip to Butlins once a year with very limited incomces will get crippled by a £120 fine per parent per child. It has a huge impact. Whereas the family that are taking Tarquin away for his 3rd Ski Trip of the season can look on it like an additional tax, and cough up as they do Air Passenger Duty.

Im not going to go into massive details on the forum, but this is an area of er.... "Professional Interest" for me. If anyone wants advice please feel free to DM.

Â