Children taking holidays in term time

Genie

See all the things you've described don't happen in inadequate schools. Mostly it's terrible leadership...be it a failure to create a positive ethos or just a wild over exaggeration of the quality of teaching or pupils behaviour. Some heads get so obsessed with tiny details the forget the bigger picture.

The inadequate schools I've dealt with recently have failed to make recommended changes and mostly underplay the issues they have. Some of the sefs I've seen recently have been hilarious.

That makes sense. I guess from working in a good school all the things that are needed to maintain it just happen automatically. I was in an RI school not long ago. OFSTED in next week. Will be interesting.

How do schools in the UK get money? Is it based on immigration, parents education and the socioeconomics of the area. I can give you Stefan a pretty good answer on swedish terms but Im not gonna say anything about UK just yet.

Basically they are funded by the government, a basic rate for pupils dependent on age...with top ups for children with SEN. There is also a pupil premium which means extra £ for children with various socio-economic disadvantages thatbhas to be spent on narrowing the gap to "normal",kids.

See all the things you've described don't happen in inadequate schools. Mostly it's terrible leadership...be it a failure to create a positive ethos or just a wild over exaggeration of the quality of teaching or pupils behaviour. Some heads get so obsessed with tiny details the forget the bigger picture.

The inadequate schools I've dealt with recently have failed to make recommended changes and mostly underplay the issues they have. Some of the sefs I've seen recently have been hilarious.

That makes sense. I guess from working in a good school all the things that are needed to maintain it just happen automatically. I was in an RI school not long ago. OFSTED in next week. Will be interesting.

its why its so hard recruiting heads to Outstanding schools. Only one way to go. RI or inadequate schools is where the challenge is and surprisingly easy to get SLT for.

It's something I'd like to do. From working with good/outstanding SLT, I've picked up loads of ideas. Obviously it's still early but that's where I see myself in 5/10 years.

How do schools in the UK get money? Is it based on immigration, parents education and the socioeconomics of the area. I can give you Stefan a pretty good answer on swedish terms but Im not gonna say anything about UK just yet.

Basically they are funded by the government, a basic rate for pupils dependent on age...with top ups for children with SEN. There is also a pupil premium which means extra £ for children with various socio-economic disadvantages thatbhas to be spent on narrowing the gap to "normal",kids.

Will be interesting to see what happens with pupil premiums when free school meals are introduced for all primary children. Not much incentive for parents to be assessed so could be tough for some schools.  

What is SEN? The answer is almost the same then. To little resources to areas that need it.

Will be interesting to see what happens with pupil premiums when free school meals are introduced for all primary children. Not much incentive for parents to be assessed so could be tough for some schools.  

Only for KS1 AFAIK.

EDIT: And Eames, how good are HA FSM children? :D

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

What is SEN? The answer is almost the same then. To little resources to areas that need it.
Sorry! Education jargon, force of habit. Special Educational Needs.

Only for KS1 AFAIK.

EDIT: And Eames, how good are HA FSM children? :D

Yes of course it is, spent the last few weeks in year one and become a little blinkered! 

Pupil premium will remain...its not just about breakfast clubs and lunches.

No I realise it's about a lot more, but parents have to be means tested and free school meals is a big incentive to come forward for that. If parents don't see direct incentives to be assessed I wonder how many will apply. 

Sorry! Education jargon, force of habit. Special Educational Needs.

I need to check this out more but it sounds troubling for the school system in the UK.

I work for an area that has taken in a lot of immigrants of late mostly recent from Syria and Somalia. This area is where the immigrants move to basically. I have always heard from the people other areas with same job as me that my area get to much money.

Before budget 2014 there were a lot of new parameters used to distribute money(immigration,social). These new parameters gave my area even more money so basically we have tried to educated our pupils with to little money.

Pupil premium will remain...its not just about breakfast clubs and lunches.

No I realise it's about a lot more, but parents have to be means tested and free school meals is a big incentive to come forward for that. If parents don't see direct incentives to be assessed I wonder how many will apply. 

If schools/LEA's are transparent about it and say that it's a direct benefit for the children then I don't see how it would be an issue. It's when schools start getting shifty that it becomes a problem. And anyway, that's not an issue for the next 5 years at least because PP is accessed on whether the child(ren) has/have been eligible in the past 5 years IIRC.

Edited by StefanAVFC

Â